• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 EOYT] England vs South Africa

It's not about wanting wet weather games. It's about hoping that it is wet weather games as it makes the games closer and more advantageous for the home team. Naas Botha's comments was made in regards with I think it was Greenwood who talked to a supersport presenter after the game where he said that "England can be glad it was raining".

Can I just point out, they are the same thing...

Thank you

'I really want a wet weather game'
'I really hope its a wet weather game'

It's not about wanting wet weather games. It's about hoping that it is wet weather games as it makes the games closer and more advantageous for the home team. Naas Botha's comments was made in regards with I think it was Greenwood who talked to a supersport presenter after the game where he said that "England can be glad it was raining".

Then Botha has clearly misunderstood what Greenwood was saying.

He's not saying England wanted wet weather, he's saying that SA's win would have been bigger if the weather had been good. That's vastly different to what Botha's erroneously alluding to.

Greenwoods right, the weather impacted on the game and SA were far superior today in every aspect.

Then Botha has clearly misunderstood what Greenwood was saying.

He's not saying England wanted wet weather, he's saying that SA's win would have been bigger if the weather had been good. That's vastly different to what Botha's erroneously alluding to.

Greenwoods right, the weather impacted on the game and SA were far superior today in every aspect.

Fair enough. I was listening with one ear too...

did anyone else think the Wilson try wasn't a try?

Surely the backs advanced before the lineout had left the mark?

England seriously need to relax, there's nothing as drastically wrong with their rugby (except for Farrell and the center pairing tbh) as people are making it out to be. They came very close to beating the 2 best rugby teams in the world and things could have so easily been different. If they can stay confident enough they should beat Australia with relative ease and still have learnt a lot. I actually think this a very good England team.

People need to stop thinking that these matches mean so much before the RWC. Remember, a horrendous English team made the final in 2007 and an even worse French team did the same in 2011...

Last edited:
England seriously need to relax, there's nothing as drastically wrong with their rugby (except for Farrell and the center pairing tbh) as people are making it out to be. They came very close to beating the 2 best rugby teams in the world and things could have so easily been different. If they can stay confident enough they should beat Australia with relative ease and still have learnt a lot. I actually think this a very good England team.

People need to stop thinking that these matches mean so much before the RWC. Remember, a horrendous English team made the final in 2007 and an even worse French team did the same in 2011...

Haha thank you you have made me feel much better . I think these games are built up to be more than they are too . Better lose last Saturday against SA or the week before against NZ than in a RWC knockout stage ....

Haha thank you you have made me feel much better . I think these games are built up to be more than they are too . Better lose last Saturday against SA or the week before against NZ than in a RWC knockout stage ....

Exactly ... The game against Australia is more important IMO - England will definitely be playing them, and whoever wins, gains the psychological boost before the cup

but that Engaland team had so much heart.

plus, sheridan, vickery, shaw, kay, wilkinson, lewsy, robinson, cueto plus incluence of catt and dallaglio. Should have been doing much better really.

he makes the point i made about the Wilson try not being a try - backs came up over the 10

Wow that isn't one sided at all... Anyone would think Walsh was a big fan of England and refereeing one side based on that.

How can it be one sided when he's correct??

Also, he is a South African and his perception as a retired ref is to assist the general South African public in understanding the laws better.

Is that all you can say about the link?? I thought it might give everyone more insight towards the match. Why do I even bother???

How can it be one sided when he's correct??

Also, he is a South African and his perception as a retired ref is to assist the general South African public in understanding the laws better.

Is that all you can say about the link?? I thought it might give everyone more insight towards the match. Why do I even bother???

You really ask that? Ok when you present all the reffing decisions that went against SA and none that went against England, even if they are all correct it is still one sided isn't it? It's basically lying by omission. Part of understanding the laws better is being consistent. How is it consistent if he is only bringing up the times where it went against SA? Anyone reading that would think the ref was completely on the side of the English and that all the dubious decisions went against SA.

I could say more about that link but given the picture it is painting of a ref completely biased against SA, I don't think it is worth much more. If you are going to take me criticising a link as some personal insult then by all means don't bother.

You really ask that? Ok when you present all the reffing decisions that went against SA and none that went against England, even if they are all correct it is still one sided isn't it? It's basically lying by omission. Part of understanding the laws better is being consistent. How is it consistent if he is only bringing up the times where it went against SA? Anyone reading that would think the ref was completely on the side of the English and that all the dubious decisions went against SA.

I could say more about that link but given the picture it is painting of a ref completely biased against SA, I don't think it is worth much more. If you are going to take me criticising a link as some personal insult then by all means don't bother.

No one mentioned any call that Walsh made against England as a bad or dubious call. So how should Kaplan make comments on something that hasn't been raised or queried??

If you browsed his website you'd actually see that he wants people to ask him questions about what they saw in the game and whether it was the right call or not.

His omissions of bad calls against England is just BS, as there weren't any bad calls! There might have been a query regarding the Hartley incident, but he did mention it and stated how Walsh handled it.

So what exectly did he leave out?? Please tell me, or better yet, mention it on his website, and see the response.

No one mentioned any call that Walsh made against England as a bad or dubious call. So how should Kaplan make comments on something that hasn't been raised or queried??

If you browsed his website you'd actually see that he wants people to ask him questions about what they saw in the game and whether it was the right call or not.

His omissions of bad calls against England is just BS, as there weren't any bad calls! There might have been a query regarding the Hartley incident, but he did mention it and stated how Walsh handled it.

So what exectly did he leave out?? Please tell me, or better yet, mention it on his website, and see the response.

Yeah because I want to waste my time going through an entire game to find incidents of poor reffing in a game that I thought was generally reffed ok to counter points of bias made on a South African blog because your feelings have been hurt. Not happening.

Latest posts