• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 European Nations Cup Division 1: Round Four. 08/03/14

Indeed, Romania gets very little coverage. Not only from the mainstream rugby press, but on blogs and forums as well. Many people seem to want Georgia or even Russia to grow and do well but Romania's results are usually ignored (even if we only lost one of our last 16 matches).

I'm gonna start a topic with more info about Romanian rugby on this forum in a few weeks, when the domestic season starts (btw, the strength of the Romania Superliga is also ignored by the rugby community).

That's because Georgians are loud and talk about it a lot all over the internet or TV. Georgian players even got some time on BBC CNN FOX NBC RAI and other big TV stations over the years, Romania seems to be more Passive. You have to sell your game... Mention it a lot... when people keep hearing about Romanian rugby again and again.. even if its just headlines, they will think about it more and become more interested. However if you just decide to play on the field and never market your game its unlikely anyone will get attracted.

We have 2 very popular sports magazines that constantly cover the news about Georgian rugby. which can often be translated and spread through the foreign newspapers. Besides that GRU often bothers IRB and keeps them up to date about everything.. hence the common articles on the official sites.

I often read and get involved in ENC discussions and even I'm not up to date with the information about Romanian rugby which means there needs to be more activity from the Romanian press and fans.

Cheers

We do, it plays in the America's Rugby Championship versus, the American, Argentine second sides and Uruguay's top side.

@ norcal those are good points, Georgia and Romania are really seperating from the pack (though I think Russia could get a rebound if they canned some of their management and sent Kingsley Jones to the Crimea)

The Iberian countries have really stalled, Portugal went into a transition after peaking in 06-07ish and haven't recovered. They have no depth beyond a core of abut ten or so pretty decent players. Meanwhile Spain are a little better off in prospects in 15's but have fed their 7's side to the wolves this year as it can barely beat the invited sides.

The geographic distances to some of the other Tier Two powers are a little far off too, the travel to and from the PI's and Japan to Romania/Georgia is expensive and time consuming.

I think I said it before in November but the resurgance of Romanian rugby is the most under-reported story in the rugby press. A decade ago obituaries were written and now they could really give Canada and Italy tough games in 2015.
Send Kingsley from Newport to Crimea? What has he done to earn a nice holiday like that? ;)

That's because Georgians are loud and talk about it a lot all over the internet or TV. Georgian players even got some time on BBC CNN FOX NBC RAI and other big TV stations over the years, Romania seems to be more Passive. You have to sell your game... Mention it a lot... when people keep hearing about Romanian rugby again and again.. even if its just headlines, they will think about it more and become more interested. However if you just decide to play on the field and never market your game its unlikely anyone will get attracted.

We have 2 very popular sports magazines that constantly cover the news about Georgian rugby. which can often be translated and spread through the foreign newspapers. Besides that GRU often bothers IRB and keeps them up to date about everything.. hence the common articles on the official sites.

I often read and get involved in ENC discussions and even I'm not up to date with the information about Romanian rugby which means there needs to be more activity from the Romanian press and fans.

Cheers

Being loud is just not the Romanian way. I agree that Romanian fans should be more vocal and provide more information about our rugby. I am personally doing my best, in my spare time.

Romanian team against Belgium, with some important players being rested to give youngsters a chance to prove themselves:

1. Mihaita Lazar (Castres)
2. Eugen Capatana (RCM Timisoara)
3. Paulica Ion (Perpignan)
4. Sirbe Marius (Tarbes)
5. Valentin Popirlan (RCM Timisoara)
6. Viorel Lucaci (CSA Steaua)
7. Vlad Nistor (Castres)
8. Stelian Burcea (C) (RCM Timisoara)
9. Florin Surugiu (CSM Bucuresti)
10. Valentin Calafeteanu (RCM Timisoara)
11. Ionut Dumitru (CSA Steaua)
12. Florin Vlaicu (RCJ Farul Constanta)
13. Csaba Gal (CSM Baia Mare)
14. Madalin Lemnaru (RCM Timisoara)
15. Dorin Manole (Orthez)

Reserves: 16. Alexandru Oancea (CSM Baia Mare), 17. Constantin Pristavita (CSM Baia Mare), 18. Horatiu Pungea (Scarlets), 19. Cristian Munteanu (USRP), 20. Alexandru Mitu (CSM Bucuresti), 21. Catalin Fercu (RCM Timisoara), 22. Florin Ionita (CSA Steaua), 23. Cristian Dinis (CSM Baia Mare).

The match starts at 14.30 Romanian time and it will be broadcasted live by TVR1. Legal streams can be watched here:
http://www.tvrplus.ro/live-tvr-international
http://www.rugbytv.ro/

Yes we do. Romania will play in the IRB Nations Cup against Ireland Wolfhounds, Uruguay and Russia. Georgia will play in the IRB Tbilisi Cup vs Emerging Italy, Argentina Jaguars and Spain/Portugal.

I am curious about the irish. The rest will be no match for us. Meanwhile in Georgia there is no surprise about the winner

Yes,indeed... i was happy for the Pumas , one of the teams that have my total respect. However i saw Italia emegente and the Jaguars at Bucharest and i think the both Eastern Giants (Romania an Georgia of course ) are slight better than them , especially after the latest international tests. Here is a pic that i found on the web1394211090827.jpg

Lots of new faces today on Romania's side and the guys also try new schemes. Min 32 Rom 14 -15 Bel

Romania - Belgium 14-0 at half time actually. I don't think Belgium even crossed into Romania's half.

Final score Romania - Belgium 29 - 10 (bonus point for Romania)

In the other match, Russia - Portugal 34-18 (5 points for Russia)

These results mean that Belgium is officially relegated, while Russia will end 3rd and go into the RWC repechage. Romania and Georgia will meet next week in the ENC "final" in Tbilisi, to determine the Europe 1 and Europe 2 seeding.

Final score Romania - Belgium 29 - 10 (bonus point for Romania)

In the other match, Russia - Portugal 34-18 (5 points for Russia)

These results mean that Belgium is officially relegated, while Russia will end 3rd and go into the RWC repechage. Romania and Georgia will meet next week in the ENC "final" in Tbilisi, to determine the Europe 1 and Europe 2 seeding.

It's very remote but aren't Belgium still technically alive if Spain don't get a bonus point? I think they'd have to have Spain lose to Portugal the next week(and not get a point in that match either) while they'd have to get Four try win over Russia. Exteremly remote and might be a moot point in a couple of hours.

You're right, I was looking at the wrong table. Belgium can still avoid relegation, but it's very unlikely.

You're right, I was looking at the wrong table. Belgium can still avoid relegation, but it's very unlikely.

9-7 for Georgia right now about 35 mins in, if they miss the bonus point it's a slight boost to Romania who will take the Europe 1 spot with a draw as well as a win next week(barring a bizarre four try draw in that scenario). Spain are in bonus point territory right now as well.

Edit: Spain leading 14-9 at halftime, could be a massive resul if it holds up and might put Georgia in a spot of needing a large win next week.

Last edited:
This is what happens when we leave out bunch of our better players at the same time.. fortunately today our bench is stronger than our starting lineup so I'm expecting them to make a difference.

Awful effort from Georgia so far, but I still can't see them losing this one.

Substitutes on 51'
try 52'
try 56'

Geo 21-14 Spn

Last edited:
24-17 Final, Georgia do not get the bonus point which could be a factor if a draw occurs next week, Spain get the losing bonus point and I beleive this eliminates Belgium unless the Black Devils can beat Portugal on some sort of weird tie breaker, but I think they are mathmatically done for.

Latest posts