• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Mid-Year Tests] New Zealand

Out of interest what are people's issues with Vito? I've seen how beastly Kaino has been this season but have seen little or nothing of Kaino (or Messam for that matter).

Out of interest what are people's issues with Vito? I've seen how beastly Kaino has been this season but have seen little or nothing of Kaino (or Messam for that matter).

I can't speak for others, but I don't imagine too many people have an issue with Vito. I think it is more that Messam performed very well for the AB's last season (and has played well for the Chiefs this season too), so they would prefer him over Vito (who despite his talent is still largely unproven at test level). For me it is a 50:50 choice between Vito and Messam with Read out. Messam is more proven at test level, but for him to be included Kaino would have to move to 8. Kaino has looked great for the Blues there, but the AB's prefer a more wider ranging 8. Read often stands 1 or 2 in from the wing on attack, and drops back to act as a 4th fullback on defense (which is the key to our counterattack). Vito certainly has the skill-set to perform this role - a role I consider to be vital to the AB's current gameplan. Kaino would be less effective in this role (he is much better closer to the action), and while Messam could range a bit wider in this role I don't think he would be as effective as Vito.

If only Nemani Nadolo was a NZer... could of placed him on the left wing as cover for Savea, oh well no second Jonah Lomu.

Read often stands 1 or 2 in from the wing on attack, and drops back to act as a 4th fullback on defense (which is the key to our counterattack). Vito certainly has the skill-set to perform this role - a role I consider to be vital to the AB's current gameplan.

sorry to drop in a shameless plug but, I did a whole article about exactly that: http://www.thedeadballarea.com/focus-englands-summer-tour/ there is a video of it in action, and also how the counter attack works for you (another video), look at how Read is positioned in it: http://www.thedeadballarea.com/the-anatomy-of-a-try-piutau-france-vs-new-zeland-2013/

Last edited:
All Blacks: Israel Dagg, Ben Smith, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Cory Jane, Aaron Cruden, Aaron Smith, Jerome Kaino, Richie McCaw (c), Liam Messam, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Owen Franks, Dane Coles, Tony Woodcock. Reserves[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]: Keven Mealamu, Wyatt Crockett, Charlie Faumuina, Patrick Tuipulotu, Victor Vito, TJ Perenara, Beauden Barrett, Malakai Fekitoa.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]i'm not for whole sale change for no reason or anything but i think these non competition games really really have been used to try something new...even something as minor as barrett to start or even more obviously smith at fullback...just a bit boring to tell you the truth[/FONT]

damn good team still, but very 'classic' indeed. Happy to see Kaino back. Where's Savea though ? Injured ? I'd have him over Jane for sure is he's available.

All Blacks: Israel Dagg, Ben Smith, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Cory Jane, Aaron Cruden, Aaron Smith, Jerome Kaino, Richie McCaw (c), Liam Messam, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Owen Franks, Dane Coles, Tony Woodcock. Reserves[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]: Keven Mealamu, Wyatt Crockett, Charlie Faumuina, Patrick Tuipulotu, Victor Vito, TJ Perenara, Beauden Barrett, Malakai Fekitoa.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]i'm not for whole sale change for no reason or anything but i think these non competition games really really have been used to try something new...even something as minor as barrett to start or even more obviously smith at fullback...just a bit boring to tell you the truth[/FONT]

I think any experimenting will happen in the third test. Still, three uncapped players in this team!

damn good team still, but very 'classic' indeed. Happy to see Kaino back. Where's Savea though ? Injured ? I'd have him over Jane for sure is he's available.
Savea is out with a knee injury, otherwise he would be a definite starter on the left wing.

sorry to drop in a shameless plug but, I did a whole article about exactly that: http://www.thedeadballarea.com/focus-englands-summer-tour/ there is a video of it in action, and also how the counter attack works for you (another video), look at how Read is positioned in it: http://www.thedeadballarea.com/the-anatomy-of-a-try-piutau-france-vs-new-zeland-2013/

Excellent videos. They certainly explain my point much more clearly than my post does! In any case the ABs selectors have opted for Kaino at 8, so we may see Messam (despite wearing the 6 jersey) used in the Read role....

I can't speak for others, but I don't imagine too many people have an issue with Vito. I think it is more that Messam performed very well for the AB's last season (and has played well for the Chiefs this season too), so they would prefer him over Vito (who despite his talent is still largely unproven at test level). For me it is a 50:50 choice between Vito and Messam with Read out. Messam is more proven at test level, but for him to be included Kaino would have to move to 8. Kaino has looked great for the Blues there, but the AB's prefer a more wider ranging 8. Read often stands 1 or 2 in from the wing on attack, and drops back to act as a 4th fullback on defense (which is the key to our counterattack). Vito certainly has the skill-set to perform this role - a role I consider to be vital to the AB's current gameplan. Kaino would be less effective in this role (he is much better closer to the action), and while Messam could range a bit wider in this role I don't think he would be as effective as Vito.

Fair shout, seems sensible. Kaino has been a complete wrecking ball around the fringes this year but I don't see hike doing what Read does. He's not as good a footballer.

I'm loving all the Fergie's style mind games from Hansen going on pre-game. Tomorrow is going to be embarrassingly easy for you.

Fair shout, seems sensible. Kaino has been a complete wrecking ball around the fringes this year but I don't see hike doing what Read does. He's not as good a footballer.

I'm loving all the Fergie's style mind games from Hansen going on pre-game. Tomorrow is going to be embarrassingly easy for you.

I dont know about embarrassingly easy. Aside from the first five you guys are running the rest of that bunch looks pretty handy to me. Very good midfield and a great fullback. Some decent forwards in there to except missing a couple of the big dogs.

I would rather we struggle this week and blow you guy off the park next week put it that way....:p

Latest posts