• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Mid-Year Tests] New Zealand

Cowan has been a bit average for Glos while in England so I wouldn't hold your breath for anything.

Also, me now have five hookers in our touring squad so feel welcome to borrow one if you get caught short!

Cowan was always a 'stop gap player'. He was never the first name on a team sheet just the best we had for a few years. The only returning player of interest is Sonny BW, unfortunately he might me returning to a depleted Chiefs so can he prove himself in 14 games?

It is great to see so many players coming back to NZ rugby - it certainly adds to NZ's depth. Gear would certainly be a AB's contender - personally I think he would struggle he may struggle to make the AB's squad if Savea, Piutau, Jane, Smith, and Dagg are all fit, but he would clearly be the next best outside back option in my opinion (so would only be an injury away from inclusion). I can't see Cowan getting anywhere near the AB's squad though. Indeed if he is anywhere near the same player he was when he left he would be lucky to make a Super Rugby side!

Catch the England XV vs Barbarian's match? Hosea Gear was pretty damn tasty. In fact he tore England up all game. That said, I guess my support is somewhat unsurprising to you ;). I agree that I can't see many players getting dropped as I think Hansen loves everyone in his back three. I'd take him over Jane on form though...Cowan near the All Blacks would be sacrilege now.

Cowan was always a 'stop gap player'. He was never the first name on a team sheet just the best we had for a few years. The only returning player of interest is Sonny BW, unfortunately he might me returning to a depleted Chiefs so can he prove himself in 14 games?

Pfft, 14 games?! With the treatment SBW tends to get, I'd be surprised if he had to play a single club rugby game before they gave Crotty his marching orders.

Catch the England XV vs Barbarian's match? Hosea Gear was pretty damn tasty. In fact he tore England up all game. That said, I guess my support is somewhat unsurprising to you ;). I agree that I can't see many players getting dropped as I think Hansen loves everyone in his back three. I'd take him over Jane on form though...Cowan near the All Blacks would be sacrilege now.

Yeah I saw that match. Gear looked great with ball in hand - as good as ever - but his defense left a lot to be desired. I do think his defense has improved a lot over the last few seasons, but he missed a lot of tackles this match. Jane hasn't been in great form (he's been solid, but unspectacular), but he is the sort of wing the AB's selectors love. Hopefully Gear comes back to the Highlanders next year (there is no room for him at the Canes :p), as we could do with an actual wing in our squad!

Yeah I saw that match. Gear looked great with ball in hand - as good as ever - but his defense left a lot to be desired. I do think his defense has improved a lot over the last few seasons, but he missed a lot of tackles this match. Jane hasn't been in great form (he's been solid, but unspectacular), but he is the sort of wing the AB's selectors love. Hopefully Gear comes back to the Highlanders next year (there is no room for him at the Canes :p), as we could do with an actual wing in our squad!

Well - if he continues to miss as many tackles per match, as he scores tries, I can forgive him ;).

Yeah, no room for him at the Canes. We're pretty set for outside backs now...unless Joe Rokocoko wants to make RWC 2015, then there is always room.

Pfft, 14 games?! With the treatment SBW tends to get, I'd be surprised if he had to play a single club rugby game before they gave Crotty his marching orders.

agree, OTTOMH (off the top of my head - new slogan!) this is the first season SBW has played for the same team since 2007? If he fell off a cliff he would land on a cushion on board a boat of swedish bikini models looking for someone to apply sunscreen

just ready Savea, cane and reid are all out......who gets the 11 jersey now?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11266745

Read out with more concussion symptoms - at what point do we really start to worry about this, or has that time come and gone? There are some folks who just take a bad head knock and never make it back to full fitness, or who are really prone to them. Really hope Read doesn't fall into that category!!

Luatua called up and Todd stays as cover for Cane. Luatua needs to make the most of any chances he gets ...

just ready Savea, cane and reid are all out......who gets the 11 jersey now?

Ben Smith? Corey Jane on the right? Read being out is a bigger issue although Kaino has been playing well so hopefully he gets the nod. I'd hate to see Vito and Messam in the same trio.

Likely team probably:

Woodcock, Coles, Franks, Retallick, Whitelock, Messam, McCaw, Kaino, Smith, Barrett, Smith, Nonu, Smith, Jane, Dagg.

Mealamu, Crockett, Faumuina, Tuipulotu, Vito, Kerr-Barlow, Cruden, Fekitoa.

a bit gutted as this will likely mean smith on the wing and his best shot to play 15 goes out the window...

Likely team probably:

Woodcock, Coles, Franks, Retallick, Whitelock, Messam, McCaw, Kaino, Smith, Barrett, Smith, Nonu, Smith, Jane, Dagg.

Mealamu, Crockett, Faumuina, Tuipulotu, Vito, Kerr-Barlow, Cruden, Fekitoa.

Barring mid week injury Cruden will start surely.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11266745

Read out with more concussion symptoms - at what point do we really start to worry about this, or has that time come and gone? There are some folks who just take a bad head knock and never make it back to full fitness, or who are really prone to them. Really hope Read doesn't fall into that category!!

Luatua called up and Todd stays as cover for Cane. Luatua needs to make the most of any chances he gets ...

I'm no doctor, but I am worried now. I hope for his sake he comes right but it is concerning that it is on-going.

mccaw went through something similar a while back didn't he, on and off with concussions?

mccaw went through something similar a while back didn't he, on and off with concussions?

Yeah that was the example I read somewhere today, however you have to think guys like Richie are the exception. I follow a lot of NFL and there's very few players, who once they start having concussion trouble, are able to come right and stay healthy. Must be real scary for him, its not like a knee surgery with a set timetable, every single concussion case is different. He just needs to do everything the docs tell him, at least he's doing the right thing and being honest with the doctors and not trying to play through it.

I'm no doctor, but I am worried now. I hope for his sake he comes right but it is concerning that it is on-going.

I can't even remember the event where he go concussed, was it one big KO or did he have a couple of knocks within a few weeks?

Latest posts