• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Mid-Year Tests] New Zealand

Couldn't you do us a favour and play Ihia West at ten, who is probably in the same region of the NZ pecking order as Burns is for England. Bench him at least? Please?

Seriously though, I think we'll do okay in the first test but if you guys score less than thirty I'll be amazed.

Bring back Beaver :)

Couldn't you do us a favour and play Ihia West at ten, who is probably in the same region of the NZ pecking order as Burns is for England. Bench him at least? Please?

Seriously though, I think we'll do okay in the first test but if you guys score less than thirty I'll be amazed.

To be fair it looks like we will only start our 3rd choice 10 (Barrett). We may even rest the best centre in the world to give you guys a chance :p

To be fair though Barrett and Fekitoa are probably the form 10 and 13 in the competition (from any of the conferences).

Well West is behind... Carter, Cruden, Barrett, Slade, Taylor, Anscombe, Sopoaga, probably Kerr and Hickey, maybe even Hayden Parker. So if you bring your 11th best fly half instead of your did best or so, maybe we can strike a deal ;)

Well West is behind... Carter, Cruden, Barrett, Slade, Taylor, Anscombe, Sopoaga, probably Kerr and Hickey, maybe even Hayden Parker. So if you bring your 11th best fly half instead of your did best or so, maybe we can strike a deal ;)

Well I was only counting guys available for selection this time round so it's Barrett, Slade, Taylor, Sopoaga, Hickey, Parker, West right? Sixth! Which is roughly where I would put Burns (he's probably fifth, but then obviously we're missing three guys). I think England's 11th best ten might be playing second tier rugby so let's not make a deal either way!

Anyway, it's outrageous that someone with the potential of West has so many people ahead of him. This is why everybody is jealous of you guys.

A question regarding your front row, how strong are they. We here a lot of talk up North about the AB scrum not exactly being a weak spot but being maybe the one area where you guys don't absolutely dominate most sides. Who are the props/hookers you're likely to play in the first test?

Well I was only counting guys available for selection this time round so it's Barrett, Slade, Taylor, Sopoaga, Hickey, Parker, West right? Sixth! Which is roughly where I would put Burns (he's probably fifth, but then obviously we're missing three guys). I think England's 11th best ten might be playing second tier rugby so let's not make a deal either way!

Anyway, it's outrageous that someone with the potential of West has so many people ahead of him. This is why everybody is jealous of you guys.

A question regarding your front row, how strong are they. We here a lot of talk up North about the AB scrum not exactly being a weak spot but being maybe the one area where you guys don't absolutely dominate most sides. Who are the props/hookers you're likely to play in the first test?

The front row will most likely be 1. Woodcock, 2. Coles, 3. O Franks, with Mealamu, Crockett, and Faumuina on the bench.

New Zealand have had a very strong scrum up until a couple of years ago, but we haven't been near as dominant these last few seasons. Probably the biggest reason for this is the absence of one Brad Thorn in the second row! Though we haven't been as dominant, we have seldom been beaten at scrum-time over the course of a match. I remember South Africa looked worryingly dominant at the start of one of the test matches last season, but by the end of the match it was the AB's scrum that was on top. While our scrum is certainly not anything to fear, we almost always gain at least parity at scrum time. My only concern would be when Wyatt Crockett comes on, as he is still (rightly or wrongly) a penalty magnet at scrum-time....

NZ always errs on the side of caution. Test team, barring injuries, will be;
Woodcock
Coles
Franks
Whitelock
Retallick
Kaino
McCaw
Read
A Smith
Cruden
Savea
Nonu
C Smith
Jane/B Smith
Dagg/B Smith

Ben smith will be there somewhere, just who to leave out.

Ben smith needs to be there he is a very intelligent player.Cory Jane should not even be in the squad. He has lost too much pace.Kaino,whitelock,Retaliick have been outstanding in super rugby.McCaw is arguably the best 7 but he is not the same McCaw of old.Nonu has been magnificent this season

Squad's up.
Prop: Woodcock, O Franks, Crockett, B Franks, Faumuina
Hooker: Coles, Mealamu
Lock: Retallick, S Whitelock, Bird, Tuipulotu
Flanker: Messam, Vito, Cane, McCaw (c)
No 8: Kaino, Read
Halfback: A Smith, Kerr-Barlow, Perenara
1st 5/8: Cruden, Barrett, Slade
2nd 5/8: Nonu
Centre: C Smith, Fekitoa
Wing: Savea, B Smith, Jane, Crotty
Fullback: Dagg

Dropped from wider-training: Harris, Coltman, Thrush, L Whitelock, Luatua.

Last edited:
Well that was pretty telegraphed. It will be interesting to see how they use six loose forwards in three games. I feel like not blooding a young hooker will come back to bite us.

Squad's up.

Well telegraphed but a couple of surprises. No backup hooker. Seems Hansen is really unimpressed with the other hooker options. I admit it's not like my mind has been blown by the form of any of our hookers, but against a third string England team I feel they're being a tad short-sighted. Someone better step up soon, the World Cup is next year...and Mealamu will be going on 70 years old or so (mind you he had his best game for a while against the Canes I thought). No surpirses at all when it comes to the props. It's a real shame Afeaki is constantly injured - while I feel Tameifuna would have been interesting (I feel people are a bit harsh on him for his weight - but he could improve his fitness). Interesting we have two locks that seems to be selected more on potential than form. Not saying Bird and Tuipulotu are in bad form, the latter of which was a beast verse the Canes, but I'd probably have only picked one of the two and gone with a more experienced option.

I love Vito, but I'm very surprised to see him get the nod. 6 loose forwards is somewhat excessive - especially while people are talking of Kaino as an 8 option (I'd straight prefer to see him at 6 with Vito at 8 if Read is rested - Messam on the bench...or in the stands...or watching at home on TV I don't really care).

Halfbacks were as expected - however Aaron Smith's form is so far ahead of everyone else it's crazy. I'd love to see Peranara get a crack in the first test, but his delivery hasn't been spectacular lately. Behind a dominant forward pack though it should be better. 1st 5/8ths again are as expected. Slade was very average during the 2011 RWC for the ABs, so if he gets a shot I hope his form improves to how he is playing for the Crusaders. I wonder if Cruden will start of Barrett, Barrett is in the best form of his life while Cruden has just come back from injury and not been able to change the Chiefs fortunes.

I somehow see Crotty as more of an inside centre than a wing :p. I'm not crazy about him but chances are he'll be replaced by SBW some 2015 - so I guess it's hard to care. Fekitoa has looked great - a very exciting option at centre. While people focus on his great running ability - what's been more amazing to me is his defense. He is everywhere, without leaving holes. I didn't notice it till I watched him live verse the Canes', the amount of ground the guy covers to shut down attacks is incredible. His technique is pretty damn fantastic as well while he has the athleticism to catch people from behind. After 2015 he could well replace Conrad.

I hope Ben Smith replaces Dagg at fullback but I think it's unlikely for this test series (and his form is improving to be fair).

Well telegraphed but a couple of surprises. No backup hooker. Seems Hansen is really unimpressed with the other hooker options. I admit it's not like my mind has been blown by the form of any of our hookers, but against a third string England team I feel they're being a tad short-sighted. Someone better step up soon, the World Cup is next year...and Mealamu will be going on 70 years old or so (mind you he had his best game for a while against the Canes I thought). No surpirses at all when it comes to the props. It's a real shame Afeaki is constantly injured - while I feel Tameifuna would have been interesting (I feel people are a bit harsh on him for his weight - but he could improve his fitness). Interesting we have two locks that seems to be selected more on potential than form. Not saying Bird and Tuipulotu are in bad form, the latter of which was a beast verse the Canes, but I'd probably have only picked one of the two and gone with a more experienced option.

I love Vito, but I'm very surprised to see him get the nod. 6 loose forwards is somewhat excessive - especially while people are talking of Kaino as an 8 option (I'd straight prefer to see him at 6 with Vito at 8 if Read is rested - Messam on the bench...or in the stands...or watching at home on TV I don't really care).

Halfbacks were as expected - however Aaron Smith's form is so far ahead of everyone else it's crazy. I'd love to see Peranara get a crack in the first test, but his delivery hasn't been spectacular lately. Behind a dominant forward pack though it should be better. 1st 5/8ths again are as expected. Slade was very average during the 2011 RWC for the ABs, so if he gets a shot I hope his form improves to how he is playing for the Crusaders. I wonder if Cruden will start of Barrett, Barrett is in the best form of his life while Cruden has just come back from injury and not been able to change the Chiefs fortunes.

I somehow see Crotty as more of an inside centre than a wing :p. I'm not crazy about him but chances are he'll be replaced by SBW some 2015 - so I guess it's hard to care. Fekitoa has looked great - a very exciting option at centre. While people focus on his great running ability - what's been more amazing to me is his defense. He is everywhere, without leaving holes. I didn't notice it till I watched him live verse the Canes', the amount of ground the guy covers to shut down attacks is incredible. His technique is pretty damn fantastic as well while he has the athleticism to catch people from behind. After 2015 he could well replace Conrad.

I hope Ben Smith replaces Dagg at fullback but I think it's unlikely for this test series (and his form is improving to be fair).

a very fair assessment ^_^

except that i won't give a hood about SBW come 2015 :mad:.. this guy is a mercenary plus at the age 30, i think there are much better 2nd five-eight options from NZ franchises

and yes, AB needs to look seriously at hooker, Coles is good but not outstanding :mellow:

a very fair assessment ^_^

except that i won't give a hood about SBW come 2015 :mad:.. this guy is a mercenary plus at the age 30, i think there are much better 2nd five-eight options from NZ franchises

and yes, AB needs to look seriously at hooker, Coles is good but not outstanding :mellow:

Hore will be out of retirement in 2015 you heard it here first.:eek:

I hope that prat farrell hasnt injured himself to bad as id love to see someone smash the git.<_<

Hore will be out of retirement in 2015 you heard it here first.:eek:

yeah.. i feel more comfortable having Hore in the squad instead of Coltman or Harris ;)

on separate note, glad to know young Jason Woodward has signed with Canes, keep the AB depth growing!

I agree about Ben smith replacing Dagg.Israel Dagg needs to be shaken up he has been playing on reputation for the last couple of years.The same goes for Dan carter though he is not on the mix. The hooker options are very worrying.I haven't seen Any improvements in cole whilst it is noticeable the mealumu is not the player he used to be.Andy Ellis deserves to be in the squad he is certainly better than Kerr Barlow .Especially at the world cup any ellis would be a good option to go to in order to change a game. A tight test series would be good for this squad and Steve Hansen. We win the first and then lose the second.With all to play for in the third.

Dagg should move to the chiefs where he would be able to express his natural flair

Just read an article that says that Hosea Gear and Jimmy Cowan will be back in 2015. So that will increase our depth in those two areas by alot. If one of the current three wingers was to go down obviously Gear would be almost an instant selection id say. And then we have Kerr Barlow who like Cowan is a Defensive halfback. For me if he can show a bit more than he was in the last couple years he was here he'd be a better selection than Kerr Barlow ATM.

I agree with the disproportionate count of loosies over hookers, also why do we always need 3 halfbacks. Its not an excessively high attrition position compared to say....hooker!
I rate Fekitoa, as do most, and I think he is the perfect 'TV' player but only after Jeff Wilson pointed out a couple of his lapses you can see how raw he still is. He is a bit like Fruen, Ranger or a young Nonu - great to watch on attack but to the untrained eye a bit of a risk. Fekitoa hopefully will come good like Nonu.
Agree with TRF_nickdnz about Crotty, reliable player - nothing flashy (probably the opposite to Fekitoa), wouldn't put him in the utility bracket, more a back up midfielder. Piatau would have been in over him I presume.
Still very confident going forward - obviously we need a hooker asap, is it not too late in a props career to change over? we have so many props at the moment?

Squad's up.

No surprises in the squad announced. The media seemed to know that they were only picking two hookers well before this weekend, but in my opinion this is a mistake. Obviously the selectors don't feel either Coltman or Harris are ready, but they are only one injury away from being involved in the match day 23, and given Mealamu's calf issues it wouldn't be at all surprised to see him miss a game this series. Soon they are going to have to pick one of these hookers whether they are ready or not - surely having one of these hookers involved every day in the AB's environment would be beneficial.....

It is great to see so many young talented locks in the country. Bird is perhaps picked more on potential than form (though he has been solid), but Tuipulotu is in outstanding form - he could be a real asset off the bench. Even though he is still a bit raw I would prefer him over Romano (when he is fit) so hopefully he takes his chances. Good to see Vito back - he has certainly added some physicality to his game this season. However given Kaino's form in the 8 jersey I'm not sure whether we actually need him in the squad - I wonder whether the AB's selectors still have some concern over Read? Interesting to see Todd called into the squad to cover Cane (considering Todd himself has been out for the last month or so with injury).

No-one drops out of the backs (as expected). I'm hoping to see Barrett start the first test, as Cruden looked very rusty these last two weeks (though Barrett probably has his worst game of the year against the Blues). I don't expect to see too much experiment from Hansen and co. (even in the 1st test), but either Bird or Tuipolotu should get a few runs off the bench, Perenara may get some game-time (though he has been pretty underwhelming this year), and Fekitoa may get some runs from the bench. It would be great to see the best fullback in New Zealand starting in the AB's 15 jersey, but unfortunately I can't see that happening....

Just read an article that says that Hosea Gear and Jimmy Cowan will be back in 2015. So that will increase our depth in those two areas by alot. If one of the current three wingers was to go down obviously Gear would be almost an instant selection id say. And then we have Kerr Barlow who like Cowan is a Defensive halfback. For me if he can show a bit more than he was in the last couple years he was here he'd be a better selection than Kerr Barlow ATM.

It is great to see so many players coming back to NZ rugby - it certainly adds to NZ's depth. Gear would certainly be a AB's contender - personally I think he would struggle he may struggle to make the AB's squad if Savea, Piutau, Jane, Smith, and Dagg are all fit, but he would clearly be the next best outside back option in my opinion (so would only be an injury away from inclusion). I can't see Cowan getting anywhere near the AB's squad though. Indeed if he is anywhere near the same player he was when he left he would be lucky to make a Super Rugby side!

Last edited:

Latest posts