• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 Mid-Year Tests] South Africa

Was there no room for Danie Rossouw? :p

I was starting to get a bit worried about the Boks this season, but when I see names like Morne Steyn and Zane Kirchner included I feel a lot more confident! There is certainly no shortage of talent in the squad, but I feel that Meyer selections may be a bit conservative....

I think we might be too judgemental on those 2 guys...

Let's see what happens and if they are picked, it will be their first performance in a bok jersey since they moved to the NH. We can't go on how they were last year, as a lot of things change.

Take Zane for instance, I saw the highlights of this past weekend's final for the pro12, and he got a haircut and got leaner, he's looking much better and healthier... Maybe this will influence his playing as well.

That sneaky Nick Mallett picking Julian Redelinghuys.. but fair enough, he was overlooked by HM. Decent looking squad and like you said, they effectively have had a game together against a young England side. We might be deeper in it than I thought.

don't pretend here. South Africa are a real national side, and not exactly a mediocre one atm. Even if they decide to play younger guys and try some dudes out, they're at home and hosting an aberration of a Rugby side. Yes, many guys here played in Twickenham for the Baabaas yesterday, but there are quite a few new names as well: JOConnor, Rougerie, Mitchell, Sivivatu, Giteau, Kockott, S.Armitage, R.Wilson, Hargreaves, Burden, Redelinghuys, Hayman.

In my previous post, I should've said 'there's a bit of a Baabaa core in this side' rather than "This is basically a slightly retouched Barbarians squad". I got overwhelmed by the names that did repeat on my first read (Gear, Ranger, Cowan, Lapandry, FTD, Gorgodze, Tekori, Kruger, Hore, Taumololo...), but this is still a considerably different side.

Hopefully they'll have FTD start this one...I mean he's the only real 10 in there anyways. I'm guessing they'll be playing Giteau at flyhalf as well..

I think we might be too judgemental on those 2 guys...

Let's see what happens and if they are picked, it will be their first performance in a bok jersey since they moved to the NH. We can't go on how they were last year, as a lot of things change.

Take Zane for instance, I saw the highlights of this past weekend's final for the pro12, and he got a haircut and got leaner, he's looking much better and healthier... Maybe this will influence his playing as well.

For me it is not that Steyn or Kirchner are bad players, rather it is the style of rugby they play. With Steyn at 10 and Kirchner at fullback the rest of the backline becomes somewhat obsolete. To be honest players like de Allende, Serfontein, le Roux, Mvovo, and Habana scare me. However I know that if Steyn is at 10 and Kirchner is at fullback these players won't be used to their potential, as the Boks will be stuck playing 10 man rugby. This style of rugby will beat most teams in the world, as an AB's supporter it doesn't worry me. If the Boks could combine the brutality of their forwards with dangerous backline the rest of the world (including the AB's) would have to watch out!

And when the opposition need 4 points to win they just need to run a Steyn as he is a pissie on defense. Like the AB's have exploited for a decade or two now

And when the opposition need 4 points to win they just need to run a Steyn as he is a pissie on defense. Like the AB's have exploited for a decade or two now

well...just how old do you think Steyn is ?

Every loss feels like 10 years, so should have put centuries in...
But if you put your mind to it you should get what I am trying to say

Last edited:
For me it is not that Steyn or Kirchner are bad players, rather it is the style of rugby they play. With Steyn at 10 and Kirchner at fullback the rest of the backline becomes somewhat obsolete. To be honest players like de Allende, Serfontein, le Roux, Mvovo, and Habana scare me. However I know that if Steyn is at 10 and Kirchner is at fullback these players won't be used to their potential, as the Boks will be stuck playing 10 man rugby. This style of rugby will beat most teams in the world, as an AB's supporter it doesn't worry me. If the Boks could combine the brutality of their forwards with dangerous backline the rest of the world (including the AB's) would have to watch out!

I agree

and that is why I'm saying that they should rather be used as benched players and only come on to maybe calm the nerves in the second half. But with that said, HM has made huge strides in getting the backline more involved in play, and being just as potent as the forwards.

To be honest, our forward pack looks very scary!

Morné has been legitimately poor this season, and not just in a 'Draggs dislikes him' sort of way.

Every loss feels like 10 years, so should have put centuries in...
But if you put your mind to it you should get what I am trying to say

haha...
but about the second sentence: the greater point is not everything I say is meant literally. In fact ehm...

A faint, barely perceptable glimmer of a silver lining to De Allende getting injured is that Boshoff has at last been called up. This begs the question will HM give both Goosen and Boshoff legitimate opportunities at 10? He really should bcause life is like a box of chocolates and all.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_9335546,00.html

BTW, Big E, I see you are paying your respects to Wilkinson via your new avatar. And that coming from a Castres man...

Last edited:
A faint, barely perceptable glimmer of a silver lining to De Allende getting injured is that Boshoff has at last been called up. This begs the question will HM give both Goosen and Boshoff legitimate opportunities at 10? He really should bcause life is like a box of chocolates and all.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_9335546,00.html

BTW, Big E, I see you are paying your respects to Wilkinson via your new avatar. And that coming from a Castres man...

Draadsitter!

Victor Matfield has just been announced as the interim Captain of the Springboks for the June Internationals...

Just as I expected.

Happy with this, now Bismark can get back to ending people's seasons as he should

With both arms...
Baby steps, Hein. ;)
Glad Bis isn't captain, I think he performs best without that responsibility. As long as other Meyer doesnt get fixated on the vets for 2015, I have no issue with some older lads assisting with rotations. Could do a Bakkies-PSdT/Lewis combo once, and an Etzebeth-Vic next.

Frans Steyn seems to be still having trouble with that knee. TBH the Sharks should have pulled him off when he showed signs of discomfort. It should not be up to the national side to rest players. So that is now all of JdV, Jaque Fourie, Damian de Allende and Steyn in the centers who are unavaiable (Steyn being a question mark but honestly they should not risk him). Serfontein/De Jongh partnership?

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3561_9336563,00.html

Seems like they have an idea of how to manage Frans' knee. Once we get Fred or Pat back he will get some relief.

I don't know what they mean by 'manage his knee'. Seems to me a game of rugby is dynamic and one can't predict the game situations that'll occur so having a guy who's status is not-totally-****ed-yet in a position where we do have other options just seems irresponsible to me.

Latest posts