S’bura Sithole (Sharks), Wing / Centre - 0
Gurthrö Steenkamp (Toulouse, France), Prop - 49
Frans Steyn (Sharks), Utility back - 53
Morné Steyn (Stade Francais, France), Flyhalf - 54
Flip van der Merwe (Blue Bulls), Lock - 34
Marcel van der Merwe (Blue Bulls), Prop - 0
Duane Vermeulen (Western Province), No 8 - 16
Callie Visagie (Blue Bulls), Hooker - 0

lol the fly half that crushed the Bulls are left out for the has been that plays kak in Europe as well
Ruan Pienaar
Zane Kirchner

Hope they coming with just to come visit their parents

I actually understand why Zane is there to be honest, Willie is capable of greatness but is mercurial, and at times can is error prone and can take the wrong option. Zane is fairly stable and while he offers nothing in terms of imagination, HM probably he feels he might need someone to steady the ship. There's also not really any other options in that area that stand out for the various saffer teams.

JJ probably doesn't deserve to be there, I do feel he could be a great player but he's far to error prone and very reliant on other players putting him into space as opposed to be naturally creative. I hope de Jongh or de Allende starts at outside with the form they've been in.

Serfontein is good at inside.

Boshof can probably consider himself unlucky to not be included, and he's one of the selections I probably would have made, along with Reinach over Pienaar, and Nizaam over Kolisi (although it's probably academic).

In short not unhappy necessarily, and we really won't know anything until the team sheets are released, as it stands we could probably name 1-9 comfortably with question marks on who the starting 10, and 13 will be.

Really Bakies and Matfield are back? Wow thats interesting.

That is a very imposing forward pack you guys could put on the field there. Burger fit aswell for once?? This rugby championship could be a real dog fight.

Who's first choice flyhalf and fullback?

Ehh... Morne and Zane are still there huh... man you guys need to find someone to replace Zane before next year....

Last edited:
Ja-nee. Pity Jaque Fourie is injured and HM didn't get John Smit out of retirement. Looks like he is making up for not getting the coaching role in 2008..

But on a more serious note:

Willem Alberts (Sharks), Loose forward - 30 Test caps - automatic pick
Bakkies Botha (Toulon, France), Lock - 78 - I can only assume this is only because both Etzebeth, PSdT and Franco van der Merwe are injured
Schalk Brits (Saracens, England), Hooker - 5 - good pick with Strauss banned and Ntubeni injured while Ralepele and Burden are overseas and Liebenberg also injured
Schalk Burger (Western Province), Loose forward - 68 - has been in good form and Arno Botha is injured, fair enough. Is he fit again though?
Marcell Coetzee (Sharks), Loose forward - 15 - I am not a fan but fair enough he was good for the Sharks before injury, I assmue he is back and fit?
Damian De Allende (Western Province), Centre / Wing - 0 - has been SA's form back, will be interesting what chances he gets (if any)
Lodewyk de Jager (FS Cheetahs), Lock - 0 - should have been Lewies IMO
Juan de Jongh (Western Province), Centre - 14 - fair enough though not a starter IMO
Bismarck du Plessis (Sharks), Hooker - 57 - automatic pick
Jannie du Plessis (Sharks), Prop - 51 - has not showed me he is better than the alternatives this year, lucky
Fourie du Preez (Suntory, Japan), Scrumhalf - 67 - I get it. TBF he was in good nick last year coming back from Japan
JJ Engelbrecht (Blue Bulls), Centre / Wing - 12 - very very lucky IMO
Johan Goosen (FS Cheetahs), Flyhalf - 4 - pity he is going to France so early in his carreer with so much development still to do but that is the route SARU and HM has taken
Bryan Habana (Toulon, France), Wing - 95 - I understand he has some ****le and think we need to give either Mvovo or one of the young centers a go on the wing but I will not say no to Habana
Cornal Hendricks (FS Cheetahs), Wing - 0 - interesting pick. I wonder for what role he is considered
Francois Hougaard (Blue Bulls), Scrumhalf - 27 - TBF he has been in better form than last year so I reserve judgment
Zane Kirchner (Leinster, Ireland), Fullback - 28 - WTF
Siya Kolisi (Western Province), Loose forward - 10 - has made little impact and his workrate is 1/2 what it was last year. I don't understand it but he is very lucky to get in
Willie le Roux (FS Cheetahs), Fullback / Wing - 12 - a little les assured than last season but I am more than happy to give him a go ingreen and see if he can make the same impact- just needs to improve on D
Francois Louw (Bath, England), Loose forward - 28 - Has been good for us but we have guys in form and in SA...
Victor Matfield (Blue Bulls), Lock - 110 - same as Bakkies
Teboho "Oupa" Mohoje (FS Cheetahs), Loose forward - 0 - a bit left field. Bringing in a new guy I thought Whiteley and Carr have made more impact. Possibly here because he can cover lock where we are missing men?
Tendai Mtawarira (Sharks), Prop - 53 - automatic pick
Lwazi Mvovo (Sharks), Wing - 7 - getting more rounded every game he plays, hoping he gets a few starts
Coenie Oosthuizen (FS Cheetahs), Prop - 14 - on and off with injuries and not quite making the impact he did last year but good to have around- possibly needs to be tried at loose head though?
Ruan Pienaar (Ulster, Northern Ireland), Scrumhalf - 74 - C'mon!!! No Reinach or De Klerk because of Pienaar really gets me worked up.
JP Pietersen (Sharks), Wing - 51 - save as houses but needs to get sharp again. I'd start Mvovo, Le Roux and De Allende ahead of him- maybe some competition would be a good motivator.
Jan Serfontein (Blue Bulls), Centre - 9 - has been improving and would be good to see him get some time at a higher level again
S'bura Sithole (Sharks), Wing / Centre - 0 - I've been impressed. A lot of competition though.
Gurthrö Steenkamp (Toulouse, France), Prop - 49 - was my Bok MVP for 2010. Good to have him around but not sure how he is going; saw the Toloousse scrum go backwards against RM92 in the Top14 semi- not sure what tor ead into that if anything.
Frans Steyn (Sharks), Utility back - 53 - Utility back. Should be a rock at 12 assuming we are going to bleed rookies at 10 and 13? Or is HM considering him at 10 seeing as Boshoff has not been retained and Steyn has played at 10 mostly this year and there are so many midfield options in this squad; Serfontien, De Allende, Engelbrecht, Sithole, De Jongh, Hendricks, himself...
Morné Steyn (Stade Francais, France), Flyhalf - 54 - vanilla. We know what we have in him. Should have been Boshoff considering Gosen is going North.
Flip van der Merwe (Blue Bulls), Lock - 34 - hope he goes as well as last year. Seems to up his game for the Bokke and is getting better each year.
Marcel van der Merwe (Blue Bulls), Prop - 0 - good pick looking ahead.
Duane Vermeulen (Western Province), No 8 - 16 - was quiet at the start of the season and has played a ton of rugby the last few years without a break but has been influential in the last two wins for WP
Callie Visagie (Blue Bulls), Hooker - 0 - Good depth. Great at the set pieces. Damn, we don't have a problem with hookers do we.

Last edited:
Well I'm neither happy nor unhappy with that squad.

I just don't know why Heinrich Brussouw and Marnitz Boshoff aren't there?? Or is HM thinking that they should get some well deserved rest and be ready for the Rugby Championship?

Bakkies and Victor back, for once I like this idea purely because we are short on good locks with all the injuries. We are after all playing Wales and Scotland.

So given we could see a lineup including: Botha, Matfield, Burger, du Preez, Steyn, Habana, Steyn, Pietersen, Kirchner...

what-year-is-it.png

So given we could see a lineup including: Botha, Matfield, Burger, du Preez, Steyn, Habana, Steyn, Pietersen, Kirchner...

what-year-is-it.png

When has experience ever been a bad thing in Rugby???

I see your 8 oldies and I raise you with 7 debutants...

Good mixture of both.

When has experience ever been a bad thing in Rugby???

I see your 8 oldies and I raise you with 7 debutants...

Good mixture of both.

Haha it's more to do with the fact that they've all disappeared for a bit then popped back up again.

I certainly see the value all of them bring to the team (well, maybe Kirchner aside), don't get me wrong. It's just a bit of a blast from the past!

In fairness to Kirchener he had a decent game yesterday in the Pro12 final. Even if he was only starting because two wingers were injured.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha it's more to do with the fact that they've all disappeared for a bit then popped back up again.

I certainly see the value all of them bring to the team (well, maybe Kirchner aside), don't get me wrong. It's just a bit of a blast from the past!

Toulon is a team filled with Blasts from the past... And look at how great they are. Age is just a number.

What would our matchday 23 from the 36 look like though. What I think we'll see vs what I hope we'll see not that it'd be a stronger XV per se but just personal taste and the fact that I would like to see us develop depth; something which HM has done excellently I have to say so I do trust him... it's just, you, know, every fan has his opinions..

[TABLE="class: outer_border, width: 500, align: center"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]1 Mtawarira[/TD]
[TD]1 Mtawarira[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2 Du Plessis[/TD]
[TD]2 Du Plessis[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3 Du Plessis[/TD]
[TD]3 Oosthuizen[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4 Botha / F vd Merwe[/TD]
[TD]4 F Van der Merwe[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5 Matfield[/TD]
[TD]5 Matfield[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6 Louw[/TD]
[TD]6 Louw[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]7 Alberts[/TD]
[TD]7 Alberts[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8 Vermeulen[/TD]
[TD]8 Vermeulen[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]9 Du Preez[/TD]
[TD]9 Du Preez[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]10 M Steyn[/TD]
[TD]10 Goosen[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]11 Habana[/TD]
[TD]11 Mvovo[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]12 F Steyn[/TD]
[TD]12 Serfontein[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]13 Engelbrecht[/TD]
[TD]13 De Allende[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]14 Pietersen [/TD]
[TD]14 Hendricks[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]15 Le Roux / Kirchener[/TD]
[TD]15 Le Roux[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]16 Steenkamp[/TD]
[TD]16 Steenkamp[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]17 Brits[/TD]
[TD]17 Visagie[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]18 F vd Merwe / Botha[/TD]
[TD]18 Botha[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]19 Coetzee[/TD]
[TD]19 Burger[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]20 Pienaar[/TD]
[TD]20 Hougaard[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]21 Goosen[/TD]
[TD]21 M Steyn[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]22 Kirchener / Le Roux[/TD]
[TD]22 F Steyn[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]23 Oosthuizen[/TD]
[TD]23 M van der Merwe[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Well if I were to pick a team, I'd want to mix it up a bit, even if it's just for this first match to see what the guys can do. I wanted to add De Allende, but it seems like he's picked up an injury and is now a doubt for the matches.

My Team would look like this:

1. Mtawarira
2. Bismarck
3. Coenie Oosthuizen
4. Flip van Der Merwe
5. Victor Matfield
6. Francois Louw
7. Willem Alberts
8. Duane Vermeulen
9. Francois Hougaard
10. Johan Goosen
11. Lwazi Mvovo
12. Jan Serfontein
13. JJ Engelbrecht
14. Willie Le Roux
15. Frans Steyn

16. Gurthro Steenkamp
17. Schalk Brits
18. Marcell van der Merwe
19. Teboho Mohoje
20. Schalk Burger
21. Fourie Du Preez
22. Morne Steyn
23. Zane Kirchner

I'd start with as many players playing in SA and use the abroad players to come on later to inject some sort of knockout punch.

Not picking what I want but what I think HM will do:

1. Beast Mtawarira
2. Bismarck du Plessis
3. Jannie Useless
4. Flip van Der Merwe
5. Victor Matfield
6. Francois Louw
7. Willem Alberts
8. Duane Vermeulen
9. Fourie Du Preez
10. Morne Steyn
11. Bryan Habana
12. Jan Serfontein
13. Juan de Jongh
14. Willie Le Roux
15. Zane Kirchner

16. Gurthro Steenkamp
17. Schalk Brits
18. Coenie Oosthuizen
19. Bakkies Botha
20. Tebogo Mahoje
21. Francois Hougaard
22. S Sithole
23. Frans Steyn

the final squad for the World XV:

World XV squad:
Backs: James O'Connor (London Irish, Australia - 44 Test caps), Drew Mitchell (Toulon, Australia - 63), Hosea Gear (Toulouse, New Zealand - 14), Sititiveni Sivivatu (Clermont, New Zealand - 45), Aurelien Rougerie (Clermont, France - 71), Rene Ranger (Montpelier, New Zealand - 6), Matt Giteau (Toulon, Australia - 92), François Trinh-Duc (Montpelier, France - 48), Rory Kockott (Castres, South Africa - uncapped) and Jimmy Cowan (Gloucester, New Zealand - 51).
Forwards: Steffon Armitage (Toulon, England - 5 Test caps), Alexandre Lapandry (Clermont, France - 6), Roger Wilson (Ulster, Ireland - 1), Mamuka Gorgodze (Montpellier, Georgia - 51), Alistair Hargreaves (Saracens, South Africa - 4), Joe Tekori (Toulouse, Samoa - 26), Juandré Kruger (Racing Metro, South Africa - 17), Craig Burden (Toulon, South Africa - uncapped), Andrew Hore (New Zealand - 83), Schalk Ferreira (Toulouse, South Africa - uncapped), Sona Taumololo (Perpignan, Tonga - 5), Julian Redelinghuys (Lions, South Africa - uncapped) and Carl Hayman (Toulon, New Zealand - 45).

A few uncapped players but who can definitely bring something for this match. This is basically a slightly retouched Barbarians squad. Should be a good one.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super15/De-Allende-blow-for-Boks-20140601

Probable De Allende injury confirmed. Hope De Allende gets his chance later then. With JdV and Fourie injured, JPP in abysmal form and Habana playing overseas now was probably his best chance.. pity.

So ITO probable/possible starters we are missing:

2 Strauss
3 Malherbe
4 Etzebeth
5 PSdT
7 Botha
10/15 Lambie
11/12/13/14 De Alende
12 JdV (c)
13 Fourie

and that's not counting the fringe guys

the final squad for the World XV:

World XV squad:
Backs: James O'Connor (London Irish, Australia - 44 Test caps), Drew Mitchell (Toulon, Australia - 63), Hosea Gear (Toulouse, New Zealand - 14), Sititiveni Sivivatu (Clermont, New Zealand - 45), Aurelien Rougerie (Clermont, France - 71), Rene Ranger (Montpelier, New Zealand - 6), Matt Giteau (Toulon, Australia - 92), François Trinh-Duc (Montpelier, France - 48), Rory Kockott (Castres, South Africa - uncapped) and Jimmy Cowan (Gloucester, New Zealand - 51).
Forwards: Steffon Armitage (Toulon, England - 5 Test caps), Alexandre Lapandry (Clermont, France - 6), Roger Wilson (Ulster, Ireland - 1), Mamuka Gorgodze (Montpellier, Georgia - 51), Alistair Hargreaves (Saracens, South Africa - 4), Joe Tekori (Toulouse, Samoa - 26), Juandré Kruger (Racing Metro, South Africa - 17), Craig Burden (Toulon, South Africa - uncapped), Andrew Hore (New Zealand - 83), Schalk Ferreira (Toulouse, South Africa - uncapped), Sona Taumololo (Perpignan, Tonga - 5), Julian Redelinghuys (Lions, South Africa - uncapped) and Carl Hayman (Toulon, New Zealand - 45).

A few uncapped players but who can definitely bring something for this match. This is basically a slightly retouched Barbarians squad. Should be a good one.

That sneaky Nick Mallett picking Julian Redelinghuys.. but fair enough, he was overlooked by HM. Decent looking squad and like you said, they effectively have had a game together against a young England side. We might be deeper in it than I thought.

Was there no room for Danie Rossouw? :p

I was starting to get a bit worried about the Boks this season, but when I see names like Morne Steyn and Zane Kirchner included I feel a lot more confident! There is certainly no shortage of talent in the squad, but I feel that Meyer selections may be a bit conservative....

Latest posts