• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland v South Africa - 05.11.22

Aww, look at the cute little Ireland fans thinking being no.1 now matters, and that trying to pretend that this time next year Ireland still won't know what a semi feels like.
You've shuttered two premiership clubs in the last two months. I would maybe look towards your own toes.

We're the best in the world

Great win tonight and circumstances made it sweeter.
FWIW after watching last 2 nights here a few more things I beginning to see:
1. Jimmy O Brien might have just booked a spot at RWC
2. Andy Farrell I think doea not really rate Joey C or Conan. Just mumblings I have heard and they seem to be true.
3. Huge Murray fan and think he is vital for RWC in games like tonight to soften teams up but JGP is vital cog in wheel.
4. I think guys like Deegan are in mix again if they can get in to backrow in big Leinster games.
5. McCloskey will be a huge loss if it is a broken arm as rumoured.
6. And here is my biggest observation. I dontthink it was by accident Jack Crowley was looking after Sextons tee and that tonight. I believe he will be in RWC squad and the push is on

I thought O'Brien was a revelation, and won't be surprised to see him feature strongly in the 6ns. I was worried about him coping with the physicality in the centre today but he looked like he was winning his 20th cap rather than his 1st.I think I'd ptrfer him at 11 ahead of Lowe tbh.

while JGP is definitely our starting 9 I think the idea that he singlehandedly changed the tempo of the game is a tad simplistic. In the first 30 minutes of the game SA counter rucked very successfully as we didn't seem to be resourcing rucks properly, and Murray was dealing with an awful lot of shite. To their credi the forwards worked it out and we got a lot more joy from the breakdown towards the end of the first half, and JGP took full advantage of it in a way that Murray is not able to at this stage. However in some ways Murray might have been the better option for that early period because he's still as good defensively as he was earlier in his career and he did a huge amount of excellent defensive work in that period when SA were throwing the kitchen sink at us,

I must admit that I was tempted to hide behind the sofa when Furlong went off, but Bealham really answered a lot of questions today, and showed a lot of intelligence and technique to buy a couple of very important penalties. I thought in the pack that Doris and VdF were excellent as were Ryan, Porter and Sheehan (except for the lineout) with Ringrose, JOB and Hansen the pick of the outside backs, but for me Keenan just oozes class and is very close to being the worlds best 15 at the moment. He is just so consistently excellent in all facets of the game that its almost taken for granted, but for me he will go down as one of Irelands greatest fullbacks by the time he finishes up.

The only real disappointment for me was probably Balacoune who didn't really get to the pitch of the game and it seemed to pass him by. He is a quality player and I hope he gets another run against Fiji, but I suspect JOB might have moved ahead of him.

Ryan, Porter and Sexton were excellent in defence and Doris was robbed not getting MOTM. We were definitely inconvenienced by the defensive line speed put on us. I suppose Aki is an integral part of picking that apart and our midfield was makeshift to say the least for most of the game. Still, we should have adapted better i thought.

Terrific contest. The Boks are fierce but they short change themselves with their one dimensional approach. Did first receiver pass once in the opening half hour? Serious question. I don't think he did. They'll be very beatable at the WC if they're held in the scrum and maul.

Bogus. He's second choice at Montpellier
This is so lazy. He got hurt and his contract was expiring so they went with the young gun. His tactical kicking is key to the Boks game plan. Look at Willemse today and tell me his woeful kicking game didn't impact things. The good thing is this will be decided in 10 months. Ireland get an upfront shot at Boks on a neutral field. Let's see how it goes.

If we can project to next year and Sexton goes down and Pollard is fit and healthy can see Boks winning and topping pool B.

Then If France top pool A (ending ABs 100% record in RWC pool stage) then it's Ireland v France in the QFs. Another QF exit? 👀

But then Boks would likely face ABs and they've historically only lost to another SH side in the knockout stages in WCs they've not gone onto win. But then we know they only win one every 12 years. 🤔

The absurdity of drawing pools too early.

Watched the JVD try several times and still can't see him touch it down.

Terrible angles shown in those highlights in fairness to you. It was clear in the ones they showed live
Yeh just rewatched the clip on Amazon prime and now see JVD did touch it down. But bloody close with his left boot being in touch.

Kudos to Ireland for a well taken W.

As a Bok fan though I saw enough to give me confidence that we can turn it around in the pool stages. That is making a number of assumptions but if half those assumptions come good I see us topping the pool.

To list my assumptions:
- We have more room for improvement in a general sense and were the team giving away soft exits and points.
- Our goal kicking...
- And kicking in open play can only improve. This is assuming Pollard is fit and even if he isn't in the top 5 10s in world rugby he is our best and remains our most important player much like 2019. Its just a situation of us lacking depth at 10 of the type that can control a game.
- More accurate scrum refereeing. The penalties Ireland got off of Porter coming in on an angle killed our momentum where it could've easily been a reversal every time.
- The best player in the world being available and coming in for Kriel.
- No Kolbe at 15. It needs to be Le Roux, Willemse or Gelant. Though I rate Willemse I prefer him covering from the bench.

TBF though Ireland took their chances, played some heads up rugby on a night where it was clear the ref was favoring the side with posession so just adjusted better. Also quick to adjust at the breakdown. The excellent maul defense was also key as it limited our attacking options. I'd say the difference was the preparation and speed of adjustment where necessary. My hope is with Erasmus back in the mix our backroom staff can also start adding value. We've been decidedly limited in our approach to the game ever since coming back from hard lock-down. Then again its a style of rugby that has payed dividents in knock out rugby assuming we can break the 12 years between drinks habit.

Thanks for having us. It was intense to start off with and opened up nicely enough toward the end. An enjoyable game if you weren't neutral.

Kudos to Ireland for a well taken W.

As a Bok fan though I saw enough to give me confidence that we can turn it around in the pool stages. That is making a number of assumptions but if half those assumptions come good I see us topping the pool.

To list my assumptions:
- We have more room for improvement in a general sense and were the team giving away soft exits and points.
- Our goal kicking...
- And kicking in open play can only improve. This is assuming Pollard is fit and even if he isn't in the top 5 10s in world rugby he is our best and remains our most important player much like 2019. Its just a situation of us lacking depth at 10 of the type that can control a game.
- More accurate scrum refereeing. The penalties Ireland got off of Porter coming in on an angle killed our momentum where it could've easily been a reversal every time.
- The best player in the world being available and coming in for Kriel.
- No Kolbe at 15. It needs to be Le Roux, Willemse or Gelant. Though I rate Willemse I prefer him covering from the bench.

TBF though Ireland took their chances, played some heads up rugby on a night where it was clear the ref was favoring the side with posession so just adjusted better. Also quick to adjust at the breakdown. The excellent maul defense was also key as it limited our attacking options. I'd say the difference was the preparation and speed of adjustment where necessary. My hope is with Erasmus back in the mix our backroom staff can also start adding value. We've been decidedly limited in our approach to the game ever since coming back from hard lock-down. Then again its a style of rugby that has payed dividents in knock out rugby assuming we can break the 12 years between drinks habit.

Thanks for having us. It was intense to start off with and opened up nicely enough toward the end. An enjoyable game if you weren't neutral.
I think this is the first post where I didn't sense doom and gloom from you. Is summertime lifting your mood?!

Ireland now getting some daylight at the top of the rankings. Very impressed how they squared up to the physical challenge.

Boks have much better back combinations available so shouldn't be too disheartened.

If we can project to next year and Sexton goes down and Pollard is fit and healthy can see Boks winning and topping pool B.

Then If France top pool A (ending ABs 100% record in RWC pool stage) then it's Ireland v France in the QFs. Another QF exit? 👀

But then Boks would likely face ABs and they've historically only lost to another SH side in the knockout stages in WCs they've not gone onto win. But then we know they only win one every 12 years. 🤔

The absurdity of drawing pools too early.
First team to win a WC after losing a pool game and the first team to still win a Lions series after losing the first game. I think any superstitions about losing to fellow SH teams in the knockouts while statistically true is bound to be broken.

Latest posts