• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland v South Africa - 05.11.22

I think this is the first post where I didn't sense doom and gloom from you. Is summertime lifting your mood?!
LOL, I think its a combination of factors but early summer is lovely, yes. I know I'll be longing for autumn by mid January.

I'm also still riding the Stormers' URC ***le. Then there is the excitement of how open it seems the test arena is. The fact that any one of the top 8 can conceivably beat the others on the day is somewhat novel in my mind and refreshing. Couple that with the relative proximity of the RWC and yeah, I am positive. The only thing that gets me going is still that I feel either the laws need addressing or something needs to be done to get consistency within a game. Consistency of refereeing across the board is a pipe dream but within any one match in and of itself I think it is reasonable to expect consistency of interpretation.
First team to win a WC after losing a pool game and the first team to still win a Lions series after losing the first game. I think any superstitions about losing to fellow SH teams in the knockouts while statistically true is bound to be broken.
Add to that the Stormers getting that monkey off our backs.. Patterns are there to be broken.

I don't see this as moaning. I see it as Rassie saying the exact truth. At the highest level, it's the little 50/50 things that can make or break the game.
Ja, I can get behind that post from Rassie as well. His emotions easily get the better of him and he has made me cringe often enough but that one is reasonable IMO.

I don't see this as moaning. I see it as Rassie saying the exact truth. At the highest level, it's the little 50/50 things that can make or break the game.
Ja, I can get behind that post from Rassie as well. His emotions easily get the better of him and he has made me cringe often enough but that one is reasonable IMO.
My issue is that there are lots of those moments for both sides and some have more impact than others. Ireland could very well make a video with incidents that the Boks got away with. Yes it is the truth, but a one-sided truth designed to undermine the refereeing. Small margins are not just ref decisions, but a heel in touch or a knock on. He has an agenda and it's unacceptable that he does it in public. Coaches should air their grievances in private.

You have far more faith in his intentions than anyone has any right to after the last couple of years

My issue is that there are lots of those moments for both sides and some have more impact than others. Ireland could very well make a video with incidents that the Boks got away with. Yes it is the truth, but a one-sided truth designed to undermine the refereeing. Small margins are not just ref decisions, but a heel in touch or a knock on. He has an agenda and it's unacceptable that he does it in public. Coaches should air their grievances in private.
What if years and years go by and your grievances fall on deaf ears because World Rugby is an old boys club? Should you just raise your hands up, say "I tried" and give up? I am ok with coaches challenging these structures, we need checks and balances in society otherwise it becomes too autocratic at the top.

What if years and years go by and your grievances fall on deaf ears because World Rugby is an old boys club? Should you just raise your hands up, say "I tried" and give up? I am ok with coaches challenging these structures, we need checks and balances in society otherwise it becomes too autocratic at the top.
If he made a video with clips from every nation then fine. However, he is trying to create a narrative that the Boks are hard done by when everyone suffers from poor officiating.

All refs make mistakes. Consistency though, thats on them as individuals.

Man I'm almost, kind of recovered. That was pretty successful, win, confirm two new centres who can rock at this level and have our most balanced backrow front up in a physical game which they hadn't prior to now.

A lot of talk about the ref but SA were as lucky with cards as we were with a forward pass and a missed kick out of the ruck. Looking outward rather than inward after that game isn't constructive, although I'm sure SA are doing both.

Keenan is arguably at Sexton status of irreplaceable, Lowry does need a run in the first team in a big game but I'd be very very worried after what a competent NZ A side could do.

I don't think airing grievances in private helps at all though. Otherwise why antagonize the administrators if he could get an ear without doing so?

I for one see the inconsistencies in-game (not talking about in general across multiple referees- that's a whole different kettle) as being more detrimental to the growth of the game than Rassie's rants or implied rants surely.

I get that it gets old mind you and I hate to think that our team has lost its post-2019 goodwill because of one man's rants but its not like any of us (casual fans) have any sort of control of the way he approaches his PR responsibilities.

A lot of talk about the ref but SA were as lucky with cards as we were with a forward pass and a missed kick out of the ruck.
The issue is you cant blow one team one way and the other another way. If Ireland can score from a kick out the ruck, and SA are penalized for the same offence, then who is to blame? The rules, or the referee?

The issue is you cant blow one team one way and the other another way. If Ireland can score from a kick out the ruck, and SA are penalized for the same offence, then who is to blame? The rules, or the referee?
No, for coaches the issue is whether that's human error, which we have to accept, or an agenda targeting the Saffas. If it's the former you respect the impartiality of men just trying to do a job and work with them to make better decisions, ie through the system in place. If it's the latter you go to the media, *****, moan, present yourself as a loon with no particular goal in mind, other than finding a way to deal with defeat that is.

The Saffas are a particularly salty bunch i've found.

No, for coaches the issue is whether that's human error, which we have to accept, or an agenda targeting the Saffas. If it's the former you respect the impartiality of men just trying to do a job and work with them to make better decisions, ie through the system in place. If it's the latter you go to the media, *****, moan, present yourself as a loon with no particular goal in mind, other than finding a way to deal with defeat that is.

The Saffas are a particularly salty bunch i've found.
Oh that makes sense. Congrats on human error helping you score tries, and human error penalizing us but not you. The problem is the frequency of these 'human errors' which are increasing exponentially, and the impact they are having on results is being felt. You can call us salty all you want, because we are, with good reason, and maybe you will be salty next year if you fail to make a semi for the 8th the time in a row. :) Hopefully its not a 'human error' that will smack your team out though. At least we can offer support having been there more than most. :)

I think if any team France possibly more than most have had poor refereeing performances go against them. At least on the big stage. France 1995 SF and 2011 F. Then there was Scotland v Aussie and us v Aussie. NZ v France as well. A number of big games and tournaments marred by poor one-off calls.

I think if any team France possibly more than most have had poor refereeing performances go against them. At least on the big stage. France 1995 SF and 2011 F. Then there was Scotland v Aussie and us v Aussie. NZ v France as well. A number of big games and tournaments marred by poor one-off calls.
Yeah, and when it happens it sucks, which is why we moan.

Oh that makes sense. Congrats on human error helping you score tries, and human error penalizing us but not you. The problem is the frequency of these 'human errors' which are increasing exponentially, and the impact they are having on results is being felt. You can call us salty all you want, because we are, with good reason, and maybe you will be salty next year if you fail to make a semi for the 8th the time in a row. :) Hopefully its not a 'human error' that will smack your team out though. At least we can offer support having been there more than most. :)
Human error allowed South Africa play most of the game with 15 men on the pitch. Your team failed to capitalise on that mistake and ours did when opportunities arose.

Anyway, to ***** and moan after a test match where your side were only incentives to attack after going two tries down and bring an irrelevant world cup stat into it is, to quote your director of rugby, "******* soft".

Human error allowed South Africa play most of the game with 15 men on the pitch. Your team failed to capitalise on that mistake and ours did when opportunities arose.

Anyway, to ***** and moan after a test match where your side were only incentives to attack after going two tries down and bring an irrelevant world cup stat into it is, to quote your director of rugby, "******* soft".
Oh make no mistake, we are by far and away our own worst enemies, and we were not the best team on the night. We were bossed at the scrum in a way I havent seen since pre 2019. Mauls did nothing, and we had no goalkicker.

However, BOTH Irish tries should not have been allowed. Red card on Kolbe is also debatable, and made worse by the fact that it was a double tackle. Dangerous play yes, yellow yes. Red card? No chance. He landed on his arm and shoulder and rolled over.

I like Rassie but the narrative that SA are somehow more hard done by than anyone else is absolutely ridiculous. SA absolutely cheated their way to a WC final due to some terrible referee decisions against a Welsh B team will always stick in my memory. Those 2 penalties given against us in the last 10 mins were bad calls and in fact we should of had a pen to go 3 points up and potentially win the game.

Yes, I am still salty.

I like Rassie but the narrative that SA are somehow more hard done by than anyone else is absolutely ridiculous. SA absolutely cheated their way to a WC final due to some terrible referee decisions against a Welsh B team will always stick in my memory. Those 2 penalties given against us in the last 10 mins were bad calls and in fact we should of had a pen to go 3 points up and potentially win the game.

Yes, I am still salty.
Worse than 2011 Warburton red I dunno?

Latest posts