• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland v South Africa - 05.11.22

Oh make no mistake, we are by far and away our own worst enemies, and we were not the best team on the night. We were bossed at the scrum in a way I havent seen since pre 2019. Mauls did nothing, and we had no goalkicker.

However, BOTH Irish tries should not have been allowed. Red card on Kolbe is also debatable, and made worse by the fact that it was a double tackle. Dangerous play yes, yellow yes. Red card? No chance. He landed on his arm and shoulder and rolled over.

For the first try there was multiple phases, a penalty concession and a lineout between the forward pass and the try, that's the game and I dont think its good or bad luck either way. The TMO should have got the second one.

I disagree on Kolbe.

I think we win that game regardless of the decisions to be honest, had Sexton's forward pass been called its still a scrum deep in SA territory and we came out far better after the break. To be honest I think we protected our lead terribly and started playing into SA hands after we got a buffer. Strong defence and a really good 15min patch won that game, our attack was mediocre for the most part. A team that deserves to win a test match should be able to overcome that. Having a 6 point return from all the territory and line outs in the 22 in the first half had a bigger influence on the result than any ref call.

I'm yet to see a neutral question the result either which I think is telling.

Boks lost that game due to our own errors and lack of attack direction. The result is in the history books and we need to move on. Well done to Ireland they controlled the game much better the boks but Ireland won't be a problem for the boks come the world cup.

Oh that makes sense. Congrats on human error helping you score tries, and human error penalizing us but not you. The problem is the frequency of these 'human errors' which are increasing exponentially, and the impact they are having on results is being felt. You can call us salty all you want, because we are, with good reason, and maybe you will be salty next year if you fail to make a semi for the 8th the time in a row. :) Hopefully its not a 'human error' that will smack your team out though. At least we can offer support having been there more than most. :)
"But not you"? Who said that? There were loads of decisions that the ref got wrong in favour of South Africa. A probable game defining one favoured South Africa. If Kolbe or Du Toit see red midway through the first half the game is over.

You're guilty of selection bias and not realising that playing at home gives the home team a slight advantage with the referee. When we're down south or away in the 6 Nations we rarely get the rub with the ref. Get over it. It's not a conspiracy. A victim hood mentality is all the rage now so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

"But not you"? Who said that? There were loads of decisions that the ref got wrong in favour of South Africa. A probable game defining one favoured South Africa. If Kolbe or Du Toit see red midway through the first half the game is over.

You're guilty of selection bias and not realising that playing at home gives the home team a slight advantage with the referee. When we're down south or away in the 6 Nations we rarely get the rub with the ref. Get over it. It's not a conspiracy. A victim hood mentality is all the rage now so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
You stating Kolbe or PSDT was a red card is the same thing genius. No one said there is some conspiracy or anything, but when there are kak calls, we say they are kak, regardless of whatever narrative you like to think up in your heads. Poes.

I find it kind of tragic folk can't accept marginal calls as a necessity of refereeing any rugby, football or American football match (plus other sports). Especially marginal 'non-calls'. A marginal non-call can actually be argued to be the correct call even if factually wrong. You should only blow if certain. That's what makes calls like Joubert's fantasy elimination of Scotland and subsequent cowardly run off the pitch the rare issue I would generally hold against a ref. A ref cannot look at both the ruck and if the defence is offside simultaneously. Its physically impossible unless they have eyes like Admiral Ackbar.

I completely missed the original Rassie controversy, but any public criticism of someone who literally cannot answer back (like a ref employed by WR) is very poor. If a ref compiled a video showing every tactical error, selection error and player error from the Boks in this match then they'd probably run out of bandwith.

For what its worth I had half an eye on every match this weekend and was happy with all the refereeing I saw. Particularly Jaco (as usual for me) and Brace (who I'm usually less convinced about).

"They (Boks) are the best individual in every position"
"We should have pumped those okes with that stupid ref and all"

Nothing like a bit of arrogance and ref bashing. But of course it's just a narrative being pushed by the English and in no way reflective of a very prevalent attitude. You're talking like that when losing to the number 1 team in the world, Jesus, do some in the SH genuinely have some mental block that prevents them accepting that a NH team could simply win because they were better? We had to beat the Aussies 6(?) times on the trot before they started to accept maybe we were winning because we were better.

Latest posts