• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 QBE Internationals [EOYT] England

I think we're actually missing a big winger. Be interesting to see how he goes....but he's been out for a long time hasnt he.

We only seem to produce little tiddlers at the moment.

most of our wing options are around the norm for international wingers... 6' and about 90-96kg.

Can only think of Cuthbert, North, Visser and Savea who top out over the 100kg

The guy scores tries for fun and if he has a good run of games he will be in the reckoning. Now the team I would pick for SAMOA or in world cup terms Fiji and the play off-winners
1.Mullan 2.George 3.Sinkler 4.Attwood (c)5.Kruis 6.Fearns 7.Fraser 8.Ewers 9.Simpson 10.Ford 11.May 12.Devoto 13.Slade 14.Wade 15.Brown
16.Webber 17.Barrington 18.Brookes 19.Lawes 20.Haskell 21.Care 22.Cipriani 23.Joseph

Benjamin is only 26 so there is still plenty of time if he isn't injury prone - and I don't think he is, considering he was fit for most of his time with Wuss (?).
I hadn't realised quite how big he is - only a couple of kg lighter than North or Savea at 106kg. And he's got good pace too, so he has all the physical ingredients.

When he was fit for Tigers he was a bit of a mixed bag, wasn't he?
A couple of good games and a couple of slightly dodgy ones - I think it's fair to put that down to rust though.

Fingers crossed he doesn't become a forgotten man.

The guy scores tries for fun and if he has a good run of games he will be in the reckoning. Now the team I would pick for SAMOA or in world cup terms Fiji and the play off-winners
1.Mullan 2.George 3.Sinkler 4.Attwood (c)5.Kruis 6.Fearns 7.Fraser 8.Ewers 9.Simpson 10.Ford 11.May 12.Devoto 13.Slade 14.Wade 15.Brown
16.Webber 17.Barrington 18.Brookes 19.Lawes 20.Haskell 21.Care 22.Cipriani 23.Joseph

Now that satifies my need for some big ol bulk in there....have Garvey on the bench aswell

Benjamin is only 26 so there is still plenty of time if he isn't injury prone - and I don't think he is, considering he was fit for most of his time with Wuss (?).
I hadn't realised quite how big he is - only a couple of kg lighter than North or Savea at 106kg. And he's got good pace too, so he has all the physical ingredients.

When he was fit for Tigers he was a bit of a mixed bag, wasn't he?
A couple of good games and a couple of slightly dodgy ones - I think it's fair to put that down to rust though.

Fingers crossed he doesn't become a forgotten man.

Benjamin was rushed back for Tigers (not injury wise, but playing wise - he'd been out for something like 14 months and went straight into starting HEC games, due to other injuries) and was rusty as hell for the first few games, but started playing really well later on.

Tbh I'm not too worried about Yarde he will come good . Pick Rokoduguni on the right wing hey presto wings sorted :D

Tbh I'm not too worried about Yarde he will come good . Pick Rokoduguni on the right wing hey presto wings sorted :D

He's looking very good for Bath, really able to handle himself in contact. His first England game was a bit meh but he looks like exactly what we need. Yarde and Roko won't exactly be up there with the likes of Savea and North but at least we could have wingers that are at least a threat. I just hope they are utilised properly, Lancaster needs to let wingers come off their wings.

I just hope they are utilised properly, Lancaster needs to let wingers come off their wings.

He does/has. See Yarde's try in the second test and Burrell's at Murrayfield. Or Nowell's against Italy. Or Ashton's in the second test etc. etc. The problem has been execution: Yarde not giving the pass in the third test for what would have been a walk-in, terrible passes on set moves.

I'd be against Rockoduguni because I don't think he has the ceiling of a Nowell/Wade/Watson. So if one of the latter three can make a fist of it now, they'll do far better with the experience in a year's time. I could see him picked for being a good finisher, given the sort of crap he's likely to be shovelled, but it seems a short-term, limiting solution; much like picking Barritt at 12.

He does/has. See Yarde's try in the second test and Burrell's at Murrayfield. Or Nowell's against Italy. Or Ashton's in the second test etc. etc. The problem has been execution: Yarde not giving the pass in the third test for what would have been a walk-in, terrible passes on set moves.

I'd be against Rockoduguni because I don't think he has the ceiling of a Nowell/Wade/Watson. So if one of the latter three can make a fist of it now, they'll do far better with the experience in a year's time. I could see him picked for being a good finisher, given the sort of crap he's likely to be shovelled, but it seems a short-term, limiting solution; much like picking Barritt at 12.

I can't agree with that about Roko he's done nothing wrong to show me he has a lower ceiling than any of them guys apart from not being as young . I think he will improve no end with regular game time and if he gets test experience he will be a far better player a year down the line . I think he's only 24 aswell isn't he ?

Yeah, Rokoduguni is a fantastic player - sometimes you forget just how good he is.
I'm not sure how he is under the high ball(?) but every other aspect of his play (defence, carrying, speed, agility) is top notch.

I'd happily see him in an England shirt (despite all the moaning you'd see on social media about how he's a "poach" despite him living in England since he was 18, and being a part of the British Army, so giving more to this country than most English people ever will).

The first NRL semi-final is on tomorrow morning btw - Sam Burgess' Rabbitohs vs SBW's Roosters.
Potentially Sam's last ever RL game. KO at 10:55 if you want to watch it.

Don't think so, but streams available in the usual places.
Not checked this season, but Bet365 has had NRL games live if you have an active account (i.e. either money in your account or placed a bet in the previous 24hrs) in previous seasons.

Yes, I think he'll be on the bench this weekend with Fa'osiliva starting at 6.

We've got Slammin' Sam™ arriving in 2 and a half weeks too.

Watching the NRL semi right now - good god, George Burgess would make a good number 8.

Last edited:
Well that's a shame. Probably never play for England, we have to rely on Ewers and Garvey for a big 6.

Latest posts