[2015 RWC] Quarter Final 4: Australia vs. Scotland (18/10/2015)

Discussion in 'Rugby World Cup 2015' started by TRF_heineken, Oct 12, 2015.

1. woodwarj13

woodwarj13 Academy Player

Country Flag:

England

I would also add that a lot of teams would rather have possession of the ball at this point, considering you can't do anything without it.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. valley commando

valley commando BANNED!!!

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Pontypridd

Glad to hear it. You are right re the French pre match excuses, however defending Wales as always, we do only have 3 pro teams so generally a very small player base which means we are down to 3rd and 4th choice in some positions, however I am a firm believer in the scoreboard doesn't lie and we lost and so at least I can sit and watch the next 2 weeks games without the pressure of my team playing. Good luck to all fans of the remaining 4.

4. Cruz_del_Sur

Cruz_del_Sur First XV

Country Flag:

Argentina

Club or Nation:

CASI

I am not missing the point, i just disagree with you.
    At the time, had you asked the Scottish what would they prefer, a scrum or a penalty against them, i'm confident we would agree they'd pick the former 10 times out of 10.

Second, the suggestion of people is not necessarily that Scotland would have won, but that their odds of winning would have increased considerably. They worked for those odds, they deserved those odds, the rules granted them those odds and those odds were taken away from them unfairly.

Third, the fact that they threw to the back of the line is irrelevant to the point in question: the referee made a mistake that hurt Scotland's chances.

5. woodwarj13

Country Flag:

England

I agree that is is irrelevant to the exact point in question, however the fact is by throwing this way and creating a complete mess of a line-out they opened themselves up to what happened and subsequently the ref made a split decision on what he saw. Having thrown to the front and wound down the clock Scotland could have kicked into touch and the game was won. You cannot deny that a large percentage of the result going that way at the end of the game was in Scotland's hands.

- - - Updated - - -

On a completely separate note, I hope you guys win the World Cup..last hope of a new winner. I want a New Zealand vs Argentina final with Argentina getting revenge for the pool match!

6. celticc

celticc Academy Player

Country Flag:

Scotland

Club or Nation:

Glasgow

That is laughable. You seriously think you'd find a team that would rather have possession than the lead with less than 2 mins to play? You must be on the wind up.

7. Cruz_del_Sur

Cruz_del_Sur First XV

Country Flag:

Argentina

Club or Nation:

CASI

I have to agree, particularly because those aren't the relevant the choices. The choices here, for the sake of the argument in question, are a penalty against you vs a scrum against you. Being 2 points ahead with 1 minute to go, i think the answer is obvious.

8. woodwarj13

Country Flag:

England

Yes I would, I think England won the world cup in this very situation against Australia. There is only so much you can do in defence, with the ball in the hands of a team with conviction you have the ball in your court..especially with that field position. How would you stop a drop goal from 20 metres out if you are Scotland. Granted you would rather this than the penalty but I am making the point that the game would still of been 50/50, lining a drop goal up in front of the posts is arguably easier than a penalty from the far right. I think certain people are basically saying Australia would not of had the conviction to finish that game off when they are up there with the best sides in the world at doing this.

9. Cruz_del_Sur

Cruz_del_Sur First XV

Country Flag:

Argentina

Club or Nation:

CASI

Ask any neutral this question: would you rather be in Scotland's position with a scrum against you or in Australia's position with a scrum for you?

10. nzlizard

nzlizard Bench Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Chiefs

That is why they never made it out of pool play :)

11. woodwarj13

Country Flag:

England

Bit of an irrelevant dig at England

12. ENZED-88

ENZED-88 Academy Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Auckland

Not realy irrelevant Eng opted for possession instead of points vs wales and look where it got them... Your argument is rediculous.

13. gamine

gamine Academy Player

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

England

Bias?

Didn't a couple SH players once drop an Irish player on his head and injure him badly, without any sanction? I believe they were New Zealand players, one of whom is playing in this competition, although most people would think that he has no place on any rugby field.

14. ENZED-88

ENZED-88 Academy Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Auckland

You must be the only one in the world besides Robshaw who would rather the ball with a minute to play instead of the lead with a minute to play.

15. Cruz_del_Sur

Cruz_del_Sur First XV

Country Flag:

Argentina

Club or Nation:

CASI

You mean this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsXJyDHFKn0

16. RoosTah

RoosTah First XV

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Sydney

Great piece on just how poor it was for World Rugby to come out and throw Joubert under the bus like they did:

17. gamine

gamine Academy Player

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

England

Yes, that's the one, it really does look horrible!

- - - Updated - - -

Don't worry, most of us, at least those of us who are not Scottish, have already forgotten it, and are looking forward to the next round. Australia is a good team but not awe-inspiring, on the whole better than Scotland, but probably not the best team in this competition as their scrum is not the strongest of those left in. May the best team win, and remember it is just a game!!

18. ABs2011

ABs2011 First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

I'm sorry, WHAT? I know this is getting really off topic, but to say that most people think Mealamu has no place on a rugby field is ridiculous!

19. gamine

gamine Academy Player

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

England

Oh, sorry, I should have said that I don't think he should be on a rugby field.

I don't know if you play rugby, but if you do I wonder if you would be happy playing against someone who is capable of doing something which could result in a broken neck- your neck?!

I brought this up because someone said the powers that be in the rugby world punish only those who are not white and who don't belong to the home nations. I don't believe either of these players were sanctioned.

20. celticc

celticc Academy Player

Country Flag:

Scotland

Club or Nation:

Glasgow

Not sure what the point of that article is SANZAR. Whether WR published their review or not, it has already been widely accepted what the correct call would have been. Anyone who thinks whatever the Aussies accomplish this tourney is tainted are going to think that anyway. For what it's worth, I don't. It's not their fault what happened and who knows, maybe they would have gone on to score anyway, I'd like to think they wouldn't have but hey ho.

21. ABs2011

ABs2011 First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

Yeah, I think you might have the wrong man though. At the risk of bringing up the emotions accorded to that tackle again, for me Mealamu really wasnt the culprit, it was Umaga. Anyway, I wont comment any more on that one.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!