• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Quarter Final 4: Australia vs. Scotland (18/10/2015)

Great game, great Scottish team which made Aussies battle but...... Well done Aussies!!

PPP think if we see that again, it actually came back off an Aussie arm. Why was that not looked at by TMO? And how wa stat not a late hit on Hogg? YC on Maitland? I'm fricken livid

Hope the Argies tear the Aussies to shreds, absolutely gutted. Hard luck Scotland :(

If this turns out to be a double post - my apologies!

Great game, great Scottish display and Aussies need to cut out the numerous errors in this game!

Cheika summed it up as "charge down, pick up at the under fended maul and an interception gave them their tries"!!

Reality is that they did not "create" a try but what a dogged all out performance which makes the 6N an interesting prospect!!

Incidentally, I do like to see Laidlaw lose!!!

Joubert apparently ran up the tunnel without waiting to shake hands with players. Probably still running.

Definitely worth looking at that last penalty again. Think the TMO should have made a ruling. It was after all the difference between Scotland through or not!

Not saying Joubert got it wrong but why not be absolutely sure at that point in the game with so much at stake.

Before someone pings me for being pro/anti anyone, let me just say up front that Australia did deserve to win this game on the basis of clearly being more penetrative at scoring tries etc..., and it was a positive result for the semi-finals as I don't think Scotland would compete as effectively. However, Australia had themselves to blame being 32-34 down with 2 minutes left; and, from that position, Scotland got hung up to dry by a very bad refereeing decision.

I'd be rather surprised to see Craig Joubert refereeing another game in this World Cup. I felt his management of literally everything was abysmal. Scrums; award penalties based on whoever touches the ground first. Breakdown; allowing players to infringe off their feet for far too long, slow down the ball, etc... The 'deliberate knockdown' from Maitland? Did anyone else hear him talking to the TMO? He was potentially considering a penalty try (then talked himself out of it) ffs.

And then the bit that will be chewed over by most of us. THAT penalty. What the literal F guy? Take another look; its going to decide the game, and possibly the entire competition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jx1I_tRXNU

This isn't the best footage, but there is clear evidence of Australian hands/shoulders/etc... on the ball before it lands in the Scottish hands.

Scotland, well tried. You were lucky to get that close, unlucky to have the chance taken away at the last minute (literally).

- - - Updated - - -

Before someone pings me for being pro/anti anyone, let me just say up front that Australia did deserve to win this game on the basis of clearly being more penetrative at scoring tries etc..., and it was a positive result for the semi-finals as I don't think Scotland would compete as effectively. However, Australia had themselves to blame being 32-34 down with 2 minutes left; and, from that position, Scotland got hung up to dry by a very bad refereeing decision.

I'd be rather surprised to see Craig Joubert refereeing another game in this World Cup. I felt his management of literally everything was abysmal. Scrums; award penalties based on whoever touches the ground first. Breakdown; allowing players to infringe off their feet for far too long, slow down the ball, etc... The 'deliberate knockdown' from Maitland? Did anyone else hear him talking to the TMO? He was potentially considering a penalty try (then talked himself out of it) ffs.

And then the bit that will be chewed over by most of us. THAT penalty. What the literal F guy? Take another look; its going to decide the game, and possibly the entire competition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jx1I_tRXNU

This isn't the best footage, but there is clear evidence of Australian hands/shoulders/etc... on the ball before it lands in the Scottish hands.

Scotland, well tried. You were lucky to get that close, unlucky to have the chance taken away at the last minute (literally).

PPP think if we see that again, it actually came back off an Aussie arm. Why was that not looked at by TMO? And how wa stat not a late hit on Hogg? YC on Maitland? I'm fricken livid

That's exactly what I thought!
It's seems pretty sure that Phibbs got a hand on it, it should've been a scrum, not a penalty. I don't understand why they didn't went to TMO.

Very unfair..

Scotland made the dreadful mistake of throwing a long line out at the end when they should have played it short & held on to it. Doing what they did was utter madness.

That said, Joubert had an awful game. Maitland should never have been binned, missing Mitchell's late hit on Hogg, and the knock on at the end that arguably wasn't. The fact Joubert sprinted off the pitch at the end and couldn't even bring himself to show the players a modicum of respect was telling. Nothing to do with bottles being thrown at him at all. There was apparently one bottle that hit the running track as he was looking to complete a new personal best. Unless he was about to physically s**t himself then his actions at the end of the game cannot be justified.

And before anyone takes the huff, it's just a joke:

ImageUploadedByRugby Forum1445191598.015609.jpg

Craig joubert is a cheat and needs to be sacked from refereeing another game.

Game in disrepute due to two very biased decisions including the non refereeing of a number of clearly dropped scrums by the Aussies.

If ever an investigation is needed into refereeing bias now is the time for World Rugby to stand up.

I think calling Joubert or any ref a cheat is going too far.

He did have an exceptionally poor game especially the yellow and last minuite decision. One would assume it's between Owens, Barnes and Garces for the semi's.

Last edited:
Well I for one hopes that Joubert gets given a game at Murrayfield soon. That'll be a fun afternoon.

Oh Scotland, so so brave.

Not a great time to refer to Robshaw's book of Last Minute Line Out Cock Ups.

Craig joubert is a cheat and needs to be sacked from refereeing another game.

Game in disrepute due to two very biased decisions including the non refereeing of a number of clearly dropped scrums by the Aussies.

If ever an investigation is needed into refereeing bias now is the time for World Rugby to stand up.
A cheat? Yet the penalties conceded in own half were 6 Aussies 4 Scotland.

But all the aussie ones were there while the scotland ones were harsh [emoji57]

Yellow may have been soft but it was there.

Scotland lost this by there kick at the end.

Scotland played great. Be happy about that.

Latest posts