• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 TRC] South Africa v New Zealand in Johannesburg (25/07/2015)

Looks like Sopoaga is further up the pecking order than most would of guessed. This is a very astute move by Hansen. He needs to see this guy against the best so theres only one way to find out. Nothing to loose everything to gain.

But what this is really telling me is Hansen is not confident in Barrett (or Slade and maybe even Carter) and rightly so.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha, yeah, but we could double bluff, and not use it at all...

Are you guys not concerned that Messam's discipline would be an issue, based on last year's match as well as the matches in this year's Super Rugby between the Chiefs and SA teams, it seemed like his temper got the best of him.

I think alot of things went against him including the stadium TV director that time..... Messam will be fine and to my surprise Hansen seems to prefer Messam over Kaino against SA for some reason. Messam does seem to step up a gear against the Boks though.

Looking at the line-ups you'd have to say NZ looks a lot more 'solid' but at home and at Ellis Park I'll back our youth. I'm just hoping we manage to play in the right areas of the field. That is my major concern.The defense has looked surprisingly good in our last two matches, at least a lot better than what I would have thought but it's got a lot of room for improvement, particulaly one on one in the midfield and it'll need to improve drastically (or we are going to have to do all the playing) if we want to beat this AB side again to show last year was no fluke.

Haha, yeah, but we could double bluff, and not use it at all...

Are you guys not concerned that Messam's discipline would be an issue, based on last year's match as well as the matches in this year's Super Rugby between the Chiefs and SA teams, it seemed like his temper got the best of him.

We seem to play better with 14 on the park!! But in all seriousness, in a RWC it's going to be tight and we need every man on the park. For some of these guys it's so ingrained in their game to play on the edges of the law, that it's asking them to take a big part out of their game. I find the Chiefs very cynical though, especially their pack, I can imagine Hansen has told them to tone it down in the obvious department but still stick to their game. As long as we keep the game at a good pace and don't get penalized off the park, at Ellis and the RWC then it shouldn't be such a huge issue.

Last edited:
Really? Mapoe just seems to be too slow in my mind, which is why I figured he'd been moved to centre. I'd much rather see Mvovo, Senatla, Hougaard, Basson, Sithole, Colby all taken ahead of Mapoe. I'd back them to finish off half chances a lot better - and none (barring maybe Colby) would be a liability on defence.
I'd prefer Hougaard myself as I thought he was playing some good rugby on the wing this year but looking at the reasons why Meyer might pick JPP, Mapoe a clear 'like-for-like' player and in better form than JPP. I mean, you have Ben Smith on the wing. Speed is not everything if you have other assets, especially in test rugby. Mapoe is no slouch though either.

We seem to play better with 14 on the park!! But in all seriousness, this is an issue and in a RWC it's going to be tight and we need every man on the park. For some of these guys it's so ingrained in their game to play on the edges of the law, that it's asking them to take a big part out of their game. I find the Chiefs very cynical though, especially their pack, I can imagine Hansen has told them to tone it down in the obvious department but still stick to their game. As long as we keep the game at a good pace and don't get penalized off the park, at Ellis and the RWC then it shouldn't be such a huge issue.

The flip side though is that in many RWC knock out games the pressure gets to the referee just as much if not more because he isn't part of team really and we've seen numerous big games won by the team infringing the most (not talking about blatant stuff r foul play here) simply because the ref is too scared to make the calls.

Last edited:
The flip side though is that in many RWC knock out games the pressure gets to the referee just as much if not more because he isn't part of team really and we've seen numerous big games won by the team infringing the most (not talking about blatant stuff r foul play here) simply because the ref is too scared to make the calls.

It's true, but then you have refs like Joubert who likes penalizing the team without the ball for infringing. I'm hoping Jaco Peyper, Joubert or Owen gets the SF/F's. They don't let occasions get to them and will make the big calls and right calls.

It's true, but then you have refs like Joubert who likes penalizing the team without the ball for infringing. I'm hoping Jaco Peyper, Joubert or Owen gets the SF/F's. They don't let occasions get to them and will make the big calls and right calls.

Haha, other than at a certain RWC final though! They all can fold under the pressure of the occasion and weight of expectation.

Also I can't see Peyper or Joubert reffing the final...

Haha, other than at a certain RWC final though! They all can fold under the pressure of the occasion and weight of expectation.

Also I can't see Peyper or Joubert reffing the final...

Yeah, it would be unethical to have a Saffa Ref when the Boks play in the Final...

Although Dagg at #15 is not the end of the world. It obviously isn't the best decision. You don't have to be a Rugby genius to realize Ben Smith is the best 15 in the world and playing him at 15 for the All Blacks is what the starting line up should be. With Piutau and Savea on either wing. I hope Hansen is just testing his depth at positions and just going over a few things, but when done and dusted with the current team we have that's fit. Ben should undoubtedly be 15, I'm tired of saying this and it's starting to worry me we won't see it happen.

It could be one of those arrogant "intuitions" coaches have that thinks it's a masterstroke to play Dagg at 15 and Ben on the wing, maybe I'll look like sound like a fool after the RWC, but right now you really don't have to be a genius to see that it's not the best combination.

Tough NZ team! Not quite the first choice side obviously but still very tough. In some ways it's less risky playing the in form debutant Sapoaga with Barret still a little bit shaky post-injury. Broadhurst for Whitelock is a small downgrade I'd say, but not a significant one, should be a very interesting game! I still feel the All Blacks should be favourites but we will have some sort of chance at winning (especially at Ellis Park), this will really be a stern test for our young center pairing.

We shall see if Dagg can establish himself as the #2 backup to Ben Smith. It's either going to be him, or someone like Piutau. Personally, if I had a choice, I'd rather have someone who specializes at fullback like Dagg because he can alleviate a lot of pressure with his reliable ariel skills and kicking; and in muddy, wet and/or greasy conditions that's worth a lot. It's also handy that he can kick goals. Barrett and Slade are also capable of this - but Barrett needs to be on the bench to cover 10 and Slade is just one walking injury. Anyway, I think Hansen wants to nail it down. Starting Dagg over Ben Smith in a Final would be stupid. But he needs certainty and answers, not theories. And Dagg needs to be played for those to be answered, imo.

Tough NZ team! Not quite the first choice side obviously but still very tough. In some ways it's less risky playing the in form debutant Sapoaga with Barret still a little bit shaky post-injury. Broadhurst for Whitelock is a small downgrade I'd say, but not a significant one, should be a very interesting game! I still feel the All Blacks should be favourites but we will have some sort of chance at winning (especially at Ellis Park), this will really be a stern test for our young center pairing.

Well, I will be one of the sold-out crowd trying to make Sopoaga nervous.

Let's see if he can absorb the pressure...

New Zealand Pack looks solid, Dagg at full back instead of Smith is a bit wiffy, I'd rather give Fekitoa a bash on the wing and put Smith to Full back.
Though over the moon for Sopoaga, deserves an AB shirt, Good Lad..

New Zealand Pack looks solid, Dagg at full back instead of Smith is a bit wiffy, I'd rather give Fekitoa a bash on the wing and put Smith to Full back.
Though over the moon for Sopoaga, deserves an AB shirt, Good Lad..

The thing about Sopoaga is that he's not too bad at drop kicks either.

According to Shag, he's not one dimensional and can dictate direction.

It's funny that the Boks were accused of playing too many Box kicks against Austraila yet the AB line up back row v SA are defensive/attack kickers.

The thing about Sopoaga is that he's not too bad at drop kicks either.

According to Shag, he's not one dimensional and can dictate direction.

It's funny that the Boks were accused of playing too many Box kicks against Austraila yet the AB line up back row v SA are defensive/attack kickers.

Not really that funny. Hansen and Heyneke Meyer has said in the past that stats show the team that kicks the most in the match, usually wins the match. I don't have a problem with box kicks, as long as they are chased well and provides pressure.

Not really that funny. Hansen and Heyneke Meyer has said in the past that stats show the team that kicks the most in the match, usually wins the match. I don't have a problem with box kicks, as long as they are chased well and provides pressure.

As in rush defense on the high veld through kicks?

When the ball hangs in the air at altitude?

Weather Forecast for Saturday does not look good. Johannesburg has a prediction of a maximum of 7 degrees celsius with rain expected from tomorrow to Sunday.

Weather Forecast for Saturday does not look good. Johannesburg has a prediction of a maximum of 7 degrees celsius with rain expected from tomorrow to Sunday.

Well at least our Southern boys will feel right at home then!!

Hope the rain holds off. It would be nice to see the backlines get decent ball.

That sucks. One of the great things about South Africa is you usually get a dry track for running rugby. Would prefer to see that to get a realistic reflection on a couple of 'experiments.' Mind you, if your weather man is anything like our weather man then he might be wrong! (I think it's the same fella, cause hes never right :p )

Latest posts