• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2016 Olympic City Announcement

A

An Tarbh

Well they've had the first 2 rounds of voting and surprisingly Chicago along with Tokyo have been eliminated. Not even some last minute lobbying from Barack Obama made a difference to the IOC delegates in Copenhagen.

So it's down to Rio and Madrid, wonder if Samaranch's last minute plea will have strengthened the case of Madrid, you know the way it is with these bureaucrats they always look after their own.

I'd like to see it go to Rio, as 2012 is in London/Europe, so it'd make sense to put it on a different continent the next time, makes it more fair on the viewers/people who want to go and watch etc.

I think they're going to have to give it to Rio because they've never hosted before and it might look "nepotistic" otherwise. I think they could put on a good party, lol, but I wonder how they'll handle security. Their homicide rates are among the highest in the world.

From a purely selfish point of view I'd like to see Madrid get it but the fact that the games have never been in South America and London having the games in 2012 will more than likely go against them.

Crime doesn't seem to be a deterrent for awarding major sporting events, World Cup in South Africa, European Championships in Poland, World Cup in Brazil, shouldn't go against them.

I don't think it will have an effect on awarding the bid but I wonder if it will affect how many people decide to go. Still, they have a few years to work on it...

I am hoping Rio will host the competitions. Not only would I -- and millions of my countrymates -- be able to attend, but we would also get to see Argentina taking home the gold medal in Football, once more, and in front of our Brazilian friends.

I wouldn't worry about crime rates though. I've been to Río de Janeiro several times and it doesn't look as bad as it seems. There are of course areas where no one with brains should dare to step into (the favelas) but all in all, Río is a wonderful city. Besides, having the OG in South America would be a milestone in the history of sports.

Absolutely the right choice.

It'll be the first games in South America, which is a much better choice than:

1) A second consecutive European city
2) Yet another American city that, while being globally important, is neither New York or Los Angeles.
3) Tokyo, seeing as we've just had a games in Asia.

the abysmal failure of Atlanta is still fresh in the memory for many of the delegates so that would have gone against Chicago, as would the flying visit of Obama, many delegates would have seen that as arrogance that he thought he could do what Blair did at Singapore and deliver the games, problem is Blair was there for 48 hours, Obama was barely there for 48 minutes.

i'd like olympic games in my country in 2 years,the eyes of world be in Brazil 2014 and 2016,and wait rugby games at the são januario. :bravo:

Brazil's currency got a bit of a bounce on the news. Not sure how they'll afford 2014 & 2016 together, but a lot of investors are very impressed with their future.

Who won it in the end?

Latest posts