• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 4: England vs. Wales (12/03/2016)

I probably shouldn't be laughing but I am.

The problem though is it doesn't change the basic facts of the matter. Everyone heard what Marler said and what he said gets a 4 week ban by the rules. Nothing Lee did before that changes that. And the choices were uphold the rules, or not and generate awful PR.

As it is, rugby as a whole has found the worst option. Actually, technically, the worst option isn't achieved unless World Rugby does nothing after all this hoo-haa.

I wish they'd just quietly banned him to begin with. It sounds like it might not have been utterly fair on Marler (although one is mildly dubious of whether these words were actually said) but rugby has taught me that sometimes you take one for the team.

Also, the wisdom of refs wearing microphones needs to be re-considered as this will probably happen again at some point.

I probably shouldn't be laughing but I am.

The problem though is it doesn't change the basic facts of the matter. Everyone heard what Marler said and what he said gets a 4 week ban by the rules. Nothing Lee did before that changes that. And the choices were uphold the rules, or not and generate awful PR.

As it is, rugby as a whole has found the worst option. Actually, technically, the worst option isn't achieved unless World Rugby does nothing after all this hoo-haa.

I wish they'd just quietly banned him to begin with. It sounds like it might not have been utterly fair on Marler (although one is mildly dubious of whether these words were actually said) but rugby has taught me that sometimes you take one for the team.

Also, the wisdom of refs wearing microphones needs to be re-considered as this will probably happen again at some point.

I disagree about the refs not wearing microphones, I sort of miss it when it's not there and like being able to hear what the ref is saying.

When i went to 4 of the RWC matches, I bought one of the ref radios so i could at least hear why certain decisions were being made. I can tell you it made watching live a lot more enjoyable; apart from getting hassled by everyone else who didn't have one asking me - why the hell was that decision made and having to relay what the ref had said.

They could use neck mics instead of ones mounted on the chest, although it would be uncomfortable.

Throw the book at Marler. This is Rugby, not football.

Don't know if it's true but I saw on social media it's taken so long because Lee was using "less than savoury language" about Marler's nationality as well.

I've also seen that they've hired a lip reader and have picked up Marler telling Lee to "go back to his caravan", or something along the lines.

Had Marler called Lee "oh Welsh c***" we wouldn't really be talking about this. I wouldn't have been bothered by it anyway, but then again I've been fairly desensitized to the word over the last few years.

Nationality is a very different to a minority race though, especially one that's protected from discrimination by law, and has had a history of persecution and discrimination down the years...

Happy that world rugby has taken it into their hands, but ridiculous that it's drawn out this long. Would've been fairly happy with the minimum back when it happened, potentially with a week or two cut off for the apology and remorse shown.

Still knocking someone for the country they're from.
Disgusting racist, I hope they sling the book at Delilah Lee.

:rolleyes: why why why

According to UK racism and religious crime laws "A racial group means a group of persons defined by reference to race, colour, nationality (including citizenship) or ethnic or national origins."
So it's a racist attack on Marler.

According to UK racism and religious crime laws "A racial group means a group of persons defined by reference to race, colour, nationality (including citizenship) or ethnic or national origins."

Innocent until proven guilty though, too. At the moment this is merely rumour - correct me if wrong.

Whoooosshhh

[Pedantry]It's discriminatory, not racist. [/Pedantry]

This is also an administrative matter rather than a legal one so I doubt that insulting one's nationality will raise as harsh a punishment as insulting one's race. It's not in anyway similar to when discrimination would arise in law as a result of someone losing an opportunity of employment or something.

[Pedantry]It's discriminatory, not racist. [/Pedantry]
Is (at least according to the UN):

the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction, or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin that has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter...ion#Definition_of_.22racial_discrimination.22

It's a shame we are still talking about this, meaning that it has clearly dragged on for far too long - exacerbated by the media, undoubtedly - but also showing the gross mishandling of the affair by the RFU and the Six Nations committee.

It shouldn't be a surprise, as this is the same committee that has sold out away fans by putting on silly kick off times, devalued the tournament by giving somebody an advantage on the final day every year and who refuse to change or modernise the points system or look at relegation questions. The less said about the RFU and the great job they've done over the past decade, the better :D

Marler is clearly something of an idiot. Anybody who spouts that sort of stuff, whether in an office or on a rugby field, is quite probably a bit thick and possibly an unpleasant piece of work really. Transpose the incident to your workplace, then take a view.

It's also taking some focus/credit away from The England team who deservedly won the ***le and effectively the Slam by beating us......... it's also allowing one of our own more unpleasant characteristics to be displayed to the world, namely our rather bitter sense of grievance.

Why has this not come up yet?
2SP68V.gif

Latest posts