• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Rugby Championship] Argentina v South Africa (27/08/2016)

Almost correct, Argentina can select players that are currently playing in the southern hemisphere. They are all playing in Jaguares except Cubelli (Brumbies). Key players like Ayerza, Fernandez Lobbe, Imhoff, Bosch unfortunately can't play for the Pumas.

Holy God! You mean all the European based players are excluded from the Pumas side / squad! That's impressive and insane in equal measure, your lads are going from strength to strength its great for world rugby to have a good side in South America, if not a power house! Hopefully Uruguay, Chile etc will catch the rugby bug.
A lot of Ireland supporters took Argentina for granted in the world cup last year, and we paid dearly for it. the Pumas are earning respect at a of knots now and rightly so and if anyone has those old notions about Argentina now well they haven't a clue about rugby.
Well done Argentina!

I'm pretty excited for the rest of the RC now. Obviously ABs will win, but the other places are up for grabs atm.

I'm in the same boat.
Everybody is going to be glued to the TV to see how the Pumas get on in their two other home games, or is only the one against the AB's as they are playing Aussie at Twickenham?

The Boks were absolutely woeful yesterday, Argentina did everything better than us but the fact that we were absolutely ****e helped them quite a bit (not to take anything away from their victory).

I think they have a good chance of beating Aus at hom but I doubt they'll challenge NZ

The Boks were absolutely woeful yesterday, Argentina did everything better than us but the fact that we were absolutely ****e helped them quite a bit (not to take anything away from their victory).

I think they have a good chance of beating Aus at hom but I doubt they'll challenge NZ

Absolutely agree. I'm still not sure if Pumas won or Boks lost this match.
Trying to figure it out to undestand our real chances against the Wallabies.

South Africa has so many problems.

Constant political interfering, a coaching staff which is nowhere near qualified (including the head coach), and average players being picked. South Africa's cricket team are 7th in the World, in 2012 they were 1st. The Rugby team is heading that way as well.

I don't get the negativity over the Argentinian win. Winning is winning. Building confidence and momentum is everything in a championship.

Argentina are going into the Aus game with a win under their belt and some excellent tries scored - Aus have 2 defeats and a manager under pressure.

I think Arg will win 1 of their 2 games v Aus and maybe both.

- - - Updated - - -

South Africa has so many problems.

Constant political interfering, a coaching staff which is nowhere near qualified (including the head coach), and average players being picked. South Africa's cricket team are 7th in the World, in 2012 they were 1st. The Rugby team is heading that way as well.

Sounds familiar

I don't see it as negativity. I see it as areas of improvement. We are a very temperamental bunch. We see everything that's bad when we lose and tend to see nothing wrong when we win. Both are extremes are both are just as wrong. Here i focused on the bad things because that's were improvement comes from. Call it venting if you must.

The first 20 minutes of the second half we played quite bad. I hate to use the phrase " to choke", but we kinda did. Everyone knew South Africa would go for broke and in 5 minutes into the 2h they had leveled the score. The pressure was on them and instead of using that to our advantage we were all over the place, lacked the focus and intensity we needed. I know i am being harsh on the lads but i am because

a) i've seen them do this before so it's not as if i'm asking for something extraordinary
b) these silly things can mean the difference between winning and losing against any opponent we face bar the ABs, and i kinda like winning!

I probably said out loud "not again, please not again" 3 times in the first 10 minutes of the 2H. It takes us 40 minutes to build up a somewhat conformable lead only to lose it stupidly. Those are the silly mistakes i believe we need to work on in order to take our rugby to the next level.

Tbh, i'm quite positive about our future.

Are you blind?
What game are you watching?
That was like the fourth dangerous play by that idiot.

Agreed he's an idiot. He tackles high and when he does try a legal tackle the ball carrier usually breaks the tackle. ( I saw this at least 3 times).

Mohoje must go.

Well I've said it before and I'll say it again. SA rugby is done for. Ruined by political agendas.

I'm off to BetFred to put £100 on SA to get the wooden spoon.

Not this year Ospervat! Aus will surely lose to SA......I think it'll take till next year before they really start disintegrating. Very sad, and I only hope your country gets someone with a sliver of sense into a position of power before the situation is irretrievable. Don't see it happening though.

Wow...

Just wow!

So much hostility from the Argentine fans on this thread... You guys won! And yet you are still not happy?? Odd!!

Victor Matfield's comments after the match is completely correct. We didn't play Springbok rugby, and if we tried to play Lions rugby, we also failed miserably. We have an identity crisis and it's showing on the field as each match progresses. It was just so disappointing to watch, and that I stayed up to watch that nonsense is just not what I want as a springbok supporter.

I won't say much about Garces, I honestly thought his interpretations were consistent to either side, so let's leave it at that.

Elton Jantjies was yet again a failure.
Ruan Combrink's injury came at the worst time, he was unable to run and directly resulted in Argentina scoring their try in the corner.
Teboho Mohoje might have been a bit high with his tackles, but I thought he was the only comitted player on the field for the Boks. It was clear that he was instructed to hit the guys higher than usual and disrupt them, like they did in the first test.
Adriaan Strauss is a pedestrian.
Lood De Jager needs to wake up.
De Allende and Mapoe needs to learn how to tackle.

If it wasn't for Goosen, Habana, Mohoje and Francois Louw and our props, we would've gotten a hiding!

It was ours to lose, and that's exactly what we did! 3 different kickers used for goal attempts, and still all of them kicked below 50% success rate. I think we lost 15 points just out of missed attempts at goal.

And why do we always have to play Argentina first?? the 2 more physical sides bashing it out, then gets a tonne of injuries on both sides, and then the Australasian sides gets to pick them apart afterwards.

Congrats Argentina.

That was such a disappointing game to watch from a South African perspective. I really didn't get the game plan if there was one. The first half's possession stats were something like 70-30, and whenever we got the ball we would kick it, not into space, but (for the most part) into poorly chased up and unders which the Pumas would automatically gain 20 metres through poor defense and the poor chase. The most frustrating part of it all was that we were actually making ground when we kept ball in hand. Why play a kicking game? We saw what happened at the end of last week when we kept ball in hand we can play some rugby and we also saw it when we kept ball in hand in our half. If we are past our ten metre line we shouldn't be kicking it forward unless we are being held in place for multiple phases (and we barely had any phases to justify that) or if there is massive open space in the back (which I think there was once in the first five minutes, every kick in the back from then on was a waste).

We came back from being ten points down twice in the game, so they can clearly play and have some determination, but to drop your intensity directly after getting back in it to go back down by 10 is really not good enough.

I am disappointed that we lost the game but am glad that we did, the Pumas consistently played better rugby than us throughout the match and they deserved the win. Hopefully taking a loss means we actually learn something from this going forward. My only hope for not coming last is that Australia really is in the shambles that their results say they are and its not just a case of withering to the best two teams in the world at the moment.

I know it's a blasphemy to suggest but I hope Aus ****ing wipes the floor with us. This Bok team needs to have their noses shoved into the puddle of **** that was the last 4 matches

EDIT:

I'm not angry about losing to a better team, I'm angry at the standard of rugby the Boks are playing, I swear the high school rugby on supersport earlier that day was a better showcase

I know it's a blasphemy to suggest but I hope Aus ****ing wipes the floor with us. This Bok team needs to have their noses shoved into the puddle of **** that was the last 4 matches

EDIT:

I'm not angry about losing to a better team, I'm angry at the standard of rugby the Boks are playing, I swear the high school rugby on supersport earlier that day was a better showcase

Dude, I watched U/08 Bulletjie rugby on Saturday morning that was better than that crap we played in Argentina.

EDIT:

I'm completely against this, but even John Ackerman might be a better option now than AC. AC just doesn't offer anything. It's been like that with the Stormers for years, and it won't change.

I'm completely against this, but even John Ackerman might be a better option now than AC. AC just doesn't offer anything. It's been like that with the Stormers for years, and it won't change.

But here's the problem. Ackerman has never coached an International team, so we don't know if he will be able to do the step up, or if he'll bomb out just like his Lions flyhalf.

Would it be such a bad idea to call back Heyneke Meyer now that all his favourite Oldies are all gone? Jake White?

Hell, at least with these guys we had our identity and played to our strengths. I agree with Herman Mostert of Sport24, We are bleeding and this last performance is starting to show a lot like the days of Kamp Staaldraad...

But here's the problem. Ackerman has never coached an International team, so we don't know if he will be able to do the step up, or if he'll bomb out just like his Lions flyhalf.

Would it be such a bad idea to call back Heyneke Meyer now that all his favourite Oldies are all gone? Jake White?

Hell, at least with these guys we had our identity and played to our strengths. I agree with Herman Mostert of Sport24, We are bleeding and this last performance is starting to show a lot like the days of Kamp Staaldraad...

That's why i said, i'm totally against it. :D His lack of experience.
Nobody wants the job. Too many strings attached.

Latest posts