• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2016: Rugby Is Back In The Olympics!

Hmm. This is overall very good news for rugby. If I take a step back I would say that Sevens doesn't really deserve to be there. Let's not worry about that though, it's a good day for the sport.

The only bad thing I see with this is countries not bothering about 15's. The way I see it countries could be lured by the olympic gold and just give up on 15's. Sevens should be a stepping stone and I don't think it would be good if it took over rugby.

I don't think any of the established nations would give up on 15s. I'd also wonder how seriously some of the big countries will take the Olympics especially when we're talking about a tournament taking place in the NH off-season.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 11 2009, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't think any of the established nations would give up on 15s. I'd also wonder how seriously some of the big countries will take the Olympics especially when we're talking about a tournament taking place in the NH off-season.[/b]
The chance to win an Olympic medal on a sporting stage so big it makes the Rugby World Cup look small, in a country many players would not have normally visited. I believe it will be taken very seriously.

Rugby has a lot of obstacles in America. It has to overcome it's perception as a bruttish sport played by washed up alcohalics. It has to have quality competitions for High Schools and Junior High schools. I am praying that 7's inclusion into the Olympics can make this a possibility.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Oct 12 2009, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 11 2009, 09:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think any of the established nations would give up on 15s. I'd also wonder how seriously some of the big countries will take the Olympics especially when we're talking about a tournament taking place in the NH off-season.[/b]
The chance to win an Olympic medal on a sporting stage so big it makes the Rugby World Cup look small, in a country many players would not have normally visited. I believe it will be taken very seriously.
[/b][/quote]
I believe the 2007 Rugby world cup was the third largest sporting event in the world, both in financial gain, and auidence watching, behind the Olympics and then the Soccer World Cup...so no I don't think it is so big it will make the RWC look small...More people are still more likley to watch the Rugby World Cup, then one event in the Olympics. But it will certainly introduce the Olymics to a new market, particuly in Asia and the Americas.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Oct 12 2009, 03:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Rugby has a lot of obstacles in America. It has to overcome it's perception as a bruttish sport played by washed up alcohalics. It has to have quality competitions for High Schools and Junior High schools. I am praying that 7's inclusion into the Olympics can make this a possibility.[/b]

yeah usa already signed 15 players for 7s with I think $55,000 a year with win bonus and health care. Its not much compared to the normal professionals but it gives those players the ability to take rugby as a profession rather then just a hobby. But the thing I'm worried about is are those 15 players also gonna be able to play 15s which is the end goal in my eyes cause if not that's half our backline gone. And id like to know if Chris Wyles, Takudzwa Ngwenya, Todd Clever, and Paul Emerick(who i think is **** btw) who all have played in the 7s series is in that 15 or are those who are already signed not gonna be in the 7s series at all?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 10 2009, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Probably as seriously as they take the whole Sevens series period I suppose. To be honest, when was the last time that you saw established nations rushing star players away from the 15s game to some Sevens Tournament in Hong Kong or San Francisco?

Sevens belongs in the Olympics as much as Golf does. If they can fit in Golf then they can fit in a fast paced and highly exciting sport which has already made itself a major part of the Commonwealth Games. I think it belongs in the Olympic family and the only question is why did it take so long?

People will logically make the distinction between 15s and 7s, almost to the point that they are desperate sports altogether. So, I'd probably say that the RWC and Olympics will not overshadow the other. People will be equally ecstatic to see their team lift the Webb Ellis trophy and grab gold for 7s.

And the best thing is that now that it is an Olympic sport, national sporting bodies can now/will now have to release funds for development of 7s rugby. For example, China actually has a very good Rugby system within the Peoples Liberation Army. Who holds the records at the Hong Kong 7s for points and tries? Zhang Zhiqiang.

But beyond the PLA, they can't get funding for the sport as it is outside of Military circles still a fledgling sport. Olympic sport status solves that problem. It has now changed everything.

The Rugby World is completely different after last Friday because now Rugby is now recognised as a sport played across the world and not just one which is the preserve of ten or eleven nations in the UK and Commonwealth.

That is why it fully deserves to be in the Olympics.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Oct 13 2009, 05:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 10 2009, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably as seriously as they take the whole Sevens series period I suppose. To be honest, when was the last time that you saw established nations rushing star players away from the 15s game to some Sevens Tournament in Hong Kong or San Francisco?

Sevens belongs in the Olympics as much as Golf does. If they can fit in Golf then they can fit in a fast paced and highly exciting sport which has already made itself a major part of the Commonwealth Games. I think it belongs in the Olympic family and the only question is why did it take so long?

People will logically make the distinction between 15s and 7s, almost to the point that they are desperate sports altogether. So, I'd probably say that the RWC and Olympics will not overshadow the other. People will be equally ecstatic to see their team lift the Webb Ellis trophy and grab gold for 7s.

And the best thing is that now that it is an Olympic sport, national sporting bodies can now/will now have to release funds for development of 7s rugby. For example, China actually has a very good Rugby system within the Peoples Liberation Army. Who holds the records at the Hong Kong 7s for points and tries? Zhang Zhiqiang.

But beyond the PLA, they can't get funding for the sport as it is outside of Military circles still a fledgling sport. Olympic sport status solves that problem. It has now changed everything.

The Rugby World is completely different after last Friday because now Rugby is now recognised as a sport played across the world and not just one which is the preserve of ten or eleven nations in the UK and Commonwealth.

That is why it fully deserves to be in the Olympics.
[/b][/quote]
Good call. I know Rugbys perception in some countries is pretty negative. It's like the attitude "well if we're not the best country at it, and there is no major reward for competing in it, why bother when we all ready have sports we are the best in" That was, without trying to be a dick, many American's perspectives I have talked to, but now a gold medal is avalible, especially with some countries competing so highly for the most gold medals, it should be highly competed for in the Olympics, as a gold medal in Rugby VII's is worth the same as a medal in any other sport.

The best way to get the US involved would be if Russia or China start gunning for the medal.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frntline @ Oct 12 2009, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Oct 12 2009, 03:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rugby has a lot of obstacles in America. It has to overcome it's perception as a bruttish sport played by washed up alcohalics. It has to have quality competitions for High Schools and Junior High schools. I am praying that 7's inclusion into the Olympics can make this a possibility.[/b]

yeah usa already signed 15 players for 7s with I think $55,000 a year with win bonus and health care. Its not much compared to the normal professionals but it gives those players the ability to take rugby as a profession rather then just a hobby. But the thing I'm worried about is are those 15 players also gonna be able to play 15s which is the end goal in my eyes cause if not that's half our backline gone. And id like to know if Chris Wyles, Takudzwa Ngwenya, Todd Clever, and Paul Emerick(who i think is **** btw) who all have played in the 7s series is in that 15 or are those who are already signed not gonna be in the 7s series at all?
[/b][/quote]

From a New Zealand perspective a number of players have emerged from the sevens circuit to be star players at Provincial, S14, and All Black levels. Dagg from the Bay for example. Our tendency is for sevens to be second in importance to S14 but note that changed when there was medals at stake in the Commonwealth games.

Figure the U.S and others can follow a similar approach to building resources over the next few years, which has to be of benefit to rugby in the region. Olympics meaning higher profile for the sport.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Oct 13 2009, 12:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The best way to get the US involved would be if Russia or China start gunning for the medal.[/b]
Good ole knock on effects of the Cold War...ha ha.
USA Rugby was smart when long ago they decided to put their headquarters along side the US Olympic Training Center and Headquarters. They already have a good relationship, so now that Uncle Sam Dollars are available I think it might change things for Nigel Melville and Eddy O'Sullivan. Fingers crossed, this does act as a catalyst to improve the over all game (15's) in America.

Would be great for the sport to go truely global with the inclusion as an olympic sport being the start of development incountries like the US, China, Russia and India.

But i think it will also be good for Aussie rugby as this will give the ARU a steadier leg to stand on while competing against the other football coes in Aus. I'm sure the world 3rd ranked team has alot od improvement in them if the sport could gain in exposure and popularity. At least I think it should?

All the above in mind and the ever increasing participation of the majority disenfranchised people (about 90% of the population) of South Africa in the sport and I think NZ will have stiff competition reclaiming or keeping hold of the no.1 spot they have held for so long.

This will be so good for rugby. Rugby sevens is spreading fast and in recent tournaments it it hasnt just been the rugby Union 15 a side big guns who have been winning. Long may that continue...

Latest posts