2016 Sevens World Series (and Olympics) effect on 2016 Super Rugby

saulan

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
I'm not sure what is happening in Australia/New Zealand/Argentina/Japan, but in South Africa a lot of 15-xv players have joined up for the Olympics and may take part in the World Series as well. This means we may be seeing a few weaker sides than usual.

For example (albeit the worst case scenario), for the Stormers these players may be out the team all at once:
11) Cornal Hendricks
12) Damian De Allende
13) Juan De Jongh
14) Seabelo Senatla
15) Cheslin Kolbe

We will potentially have a brand new back line.

Eddie Jones is going to have to box clever, yes. The players only need 4 games of 7's to qualify and I doubt those Stormers players above bar Senatla and Kolbe (as core 7's players) will be involved much beyond the 4. It adds to the ridiculous travel schedule for those players though and knowing we'll want to get every cent worth they'll probably play during SR bye weeks. Add that De Allende is currently playing in the Japanese Top League he might end up playing a stupid amount of rugby in 2016. It won't be anything new though; we effectively spent the entire 2015 without Senatla, JdV, Van Wyk and JdJ

Possible alternatives for us;

12 Jaco Taute / Huw Jones
13 Is Pat Howard permanently lost to us? / Johnny Kotze
11/14 Kobus van Wyk / Dillyn Lleyds / Johnny Kotze
15 Jaco Taute / Dillyn Lleyds / Rob du Preez

Certainly not ideal but I doubt we'll be without all of our aspiring Olympians all at once consistently. That's assuming everyone gets picked up to continue. I doubt De Jongh will.

I know the Chiefs will be without SBW and Messam, Lions possibly without Kriel and Whiteley.. Bulls have Hougaard and Gelant. Who am I forgetting? But yeah, I suppose the Stormers could potentially suffer most ITO shear numbers.

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure but I think A.Cruden will be ready, I'm not 100% sure again but I think SBW will be there aswell. Hopefully but maybe long in the tooth, Messam etc.

I like the look of De Allande as a 7's player, he'll have more freedom with ball in hand compared to 15's defence style?

It's the Olympics, I'm surprised Cecil Afrika wasn't a 15's player.

The New Zealand Sevens squad is as follows (http://www.allblacks.com/News/27861/all-blacks-sevens-squad-for-2015-16-named):

The article says that Liam Messam and Sonny-Bill Williams are playing Sevens only, and won't play Super rugby this year for the Chiefs. Presumably, the Ioane brothers and Ardie Savea will turn out for their Super franchises at some stage.

Dylan Collier (Waikato)
Scott Curry (Bay of Plenty)
Sam Dickson (Canterbury)
DJ Forbes (Counties Manukau)
Gillies Kaka (Hawke's Bay)
Akira Ioane (Auckland)
Rieko Ioane (Auckland)
Ben Lam (Auckland)
Liam Messam (Waikato)
Tim Mikkelson (Waikato)
Ardie Savea (Wellington)
Sherwin Stowers (Counties Manukau)
Sam Vaka (Counties Manukau)
Beaudein Waaka (Taranaki)
Joe Webber (Waikato)
Sonny Bill Williams* (Counties Manukau)

On the availability of other players than Messam and SBW, according to the article:

"Other Super Rugby players selected will be available for the Wellington and Sydney tournaments. They will then return to their Super Rugby teams through to Week 10 and be available for the remaining two tournaments of the World Series in Paris and London."

Which is a relief, we need all the bright spots we can get at the Blues!

The New Zealand Sevens squad is as follows (http://www.allblacks.com/News/27861/all-blacks-sevens-squad-for-2015-16-named):

The article says that Liam Messam and Sonny-Bill Williams are playing Sevens only, and won't play Super rugby this year for the Chiefs. Presumably, the Ioane brothers and Ardie Savea will turn out for their Super franchises at some stage.

Dylan Collier (Waikato)
Scott Curry (Bay of Plenty)
Sam Dickson (Canterbury)
DJ Forbes (Counties Manukau)
Gillies Kaka (Hawke's Bay)
Akira Ioane (Auckland)
Rieko Ioane (Auckland)
Ben Lam (Auckland)
Liam Messam (Waikato)
Tim Mikkelson (Waikato)
Ardie Savea (Wellington)
Sherwin Stowers (Counties Manukau)
Sam Vaka (Counties Manukau)
Beaudein Waaka (Taranaki)
Joe Webber (Waikato)
Sonny Bill Williams* (Counties Manukau)

The only frustrating point for me - is over the last few years we really haven't had any speedsters or game breaking wings. Frank Halai was the last one (which is a real shame he left as he was a much better 7s player than 15s). Looking at this squad I can't see any particularly rapid guys (Sherwin Stowers used to be - not so much anymore). Would have been great to have had a Julian Savea or Waisake Naholo involved. Maybe Reiko Ioane will surprise me. We certainly have some talent there regardless in guys like Webber etc.

Will Tevita Li not be playing ?

Nah, I was a tad surprised at that too. With the ABs outside backs reasonably well locked up - and his time in 7s - strange he didn't look at it as a big opportunity. Guess he wants to nail down the Blues jersey.