• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

We've signed Romanian prop Alexandru Tarus from Beziers
Hoping he's more Vadim Cobilas than Shalva Mamukashvili

why, did you have a problem with Shalva (hooker i presume) he was brilliant for us as a joker for Bismark du Plessis, and then as we could not keep him Toulon snapped him up a couple days after he left us. He took the no1 spot from Geli and Ruffenach and kept it till he left

He was useless, genuinely one of the worst players I can remember in a sale shirt in recent years.
Couldn't hit a barn door in the lineout and gave away a penalty every time he so much as glanced at a ruck.
This was a few years ago, though, so probably has progressed a lot since then - think we were his first full time pro club and he was brought in last minute as injury cover

He was useless, genuinely one of the worst players I can remember in a sale shirt in recent years.
Couldn't hit a barn door in the lineout and gave away a penalty every time he so much as glanced at a ruck.
This was a few years ago, though, so probably has progressed a lot since then - think we were his first full time pro club and he was brought in last minute as injury cover

ok but i can assure that he has improved vastly as he became first choice while he was here, scored a couple of good tries and was appreciated by everyone at the club and not surprised Toulon grabbed him as joker, but i have yet to see a Geogian who does not give at least 100% and i've seen a few over the years i've been with the club.

Marcos Ayerza Retires due to injury.

Pretty upset currently. Don't think another Tigers has come from outside the club and become such a Legend of the club, the best scrummaging prop we have ever had.

TigersLeicester Tigers and Argentina prop Marcos Ayerza has announced his retirement from professional rugby after 11 seasons at Welford Road.

Ayerza joined Tigers in the summer of 2006 from the Cardinal Newman club in Argentina and went on to become one of the world's leading front-rowers in nearly 250 games with the club and in 66 Test appearances.

As a Tiger, Ayerza made his 200th starting appearance in the opening home game of the 2016/17 season and has played in 246 first-team games as part of a squad that won four Premiership ***les - he played in Premiership Finals in six successive years at Twickenham. He also played in two European Cup Finals and has been part of two Anglo-Welsh Cup-winning squads.

Ayerza received the club's Outstanding Service award at the end of the 2013/14 season and was named Player of the Year at the supporters' awards in 2014/15 when he also enjoyed a testimonial year, during which he played for both sides in a match between Tigers and Argentina as they fine-tuned their World Cup preparations.

The 34-year-old retires with immediate effect. He made his final Tigers appearance in the win over Harlequins at Welford Road in November 2016.

Tigers chairman Peter Tom CBE said: "Marcos has been an outstanding representative of the club on and off the field in more than 10 years at Tigers.

"He has been at the very heart of the Tigers squad for the last 11 seasons and continually worked hard on his game while also assisting those around him.

"Marcos has had the respect of team-mates and rivals around the rugby world, as well as from the pundits and journalists who follow the game closely. He has been without doubt one of the leading players in his position in the world game.

"The affection in which he is held here is evident in his interaction with supporters at Welford Road and in the support for his testimonial events as well as from within the playing squad.

"We wish Marcos and his family well for the future. They will always be part of the Tigers Family and welcome at Welford Road."

Ayerza played in two under-21 World Cups before making his Test debut for Argentina against South Africa in December 2004 and collected a bronze medal in the 2007 Rugby World Cup as well as playing in the following two tournaments and in the Pumas' early campaigns in the Rugby Championship alongside Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

"I have been extremely proud to represent Leicester Tigers and Argentina for so many seasons and enjoyed every minute of that long journey," Ayerza said after being advised to end his playing career due to an injury in his back.

"Leicester Tigers is an amazing club and I have been very fortunate to play here for the last 11 seasons, playing in so many big occasions and with so many great players.

"It is very sad when an injury suddenly finishes your career but I can only be thankful to God first to have allowed me to experience this great journey, taking me by his hand. Also I want to thank everyone who was next to me all the way: my parents, for making me play this amazing game; my great wife Mercedes and daughters who were always there in the good and not so good times; the coaches, physios, conditioners, doctors, staff, supporters and everyone involved in every team that I was lucky enough to be part of.

"I will take with me many great memories experienced by playing this great game of rugby but more importantly the best thing to take with me is all those great people I met on this journey along the way.

"I'll miss a lot but it is time to face new challenges in my life, turn over the page, as hard as that is, and I wish the Tigers all the very best for the future."

Gutted for the boy, you would like every player to walk away from the game from their own choosing and not an injury. Fantastic scrummager, and was part of the feared Tigers front row for years.

A great character of game and superb scrummaging prop.
I know it not a lot in a way but at least he got a good career and hopefully he can enjoy life outside game now

One of the most destructive and powerful scrummagers I've seen. Beast of a man, and a major reason Tigers were so good for so long. Hope he has a great life beyond the sport.

Sale sign Jono Ross.

Good signing but currently I would say they are going into next season with one of the poorest front 5 depht in the league. Can't see them challenging for top 6 unless they sign 3/4 tight 5 players IMO.

Just my 2 cents.

(Kind of opposite to Tigers who have tight 5 players galore but lightweight back row. (Outside Williams).

Yup,
Bare minimum we need a top loosehead and brute of a lock. Got a bad feeling we won't recruit at lock and just have Beaumont and Nott as new additions there.
Still, our backrow has crazy depth now
6. Ross, Ioane, Neild, Nott
7. Curry, Curry, Seymour
8. Strauss, Pearce, Beaumont

Yup,
Bare minimum we need a top loosehead and brute of a lock. Got a bad feeling we won't recruit at lock and just have Beaumont and Nott as new additions there.
Still, our backrow has crazy depth now
6. Ross, Ioane, Neild, Nott
7. Curry, Curry, Seymour
8. Strauss, Pearce, Beaumont

Wouldn't you rather see Neild at hooker?

Wouldn't you rather see Neild at hooker?
Possibly.
With the signing of Jones it suggests we're looking at keeping him in the backrow, and his darts have been pretty terrible when he's played there the last two seasons. I believe he still has his sights set on playing hooker though, and with the Ross signing it's gonna bump him down the pecking order at blindside so he could spend the offseason concentrating on making the switch.

Drew Mitchell (Toulon) ---> Retirement

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">So it's my turn to call time on my rugby career!<br>I've been very lucky to have had the experiences I've had in our great game.<br><br>Thank you</p>&mdash; Drew Mitchell (@drew_mitchell) <a href="https://twitter.com/drew_mitchell/status/853904824743735296">April 17, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Latest posts