• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2017 Americas Rugby Championship

I think the Argentine program is just light years ahead of the rest of the two continents, to be honest. No matter what team the union puts together for this tournament they dominate. The US is a distant second, they have brought in some good sevens players and players on the verge of making the full national side, but yet they are still a few steps behind the Argentines. I really don't know what to say about Canada, they have just looked bad so far this tournament.

does uruguay have a national program?

cause i know the usa and canada are pretty much just call in the best players you can, canada is a little more organized

the geography doesn't make it easy in the americas as you are bringing players from both sides of the continent, or in chile's case, top and bottom of a continent

i imagine chile, argentina, brazil, and uraguay all have rugby as a distant second to assoc. football but argentina had an established rugby community

US and canada both have about 10-12 sports that are more popular at the youth level

I don't know much about the uruguayan system, I assume they simply do what we in North America do and the head coach selects the best players available for any given test. They don't appear on paper to have as many professional players in their side as the US and Canada which leads me to believe they have a fairly decent domestic club set up.

I don't know much about the uruguayan system, I assume they simply do what we in North America do and the head coach selects the best players available for any given test. They don't appear on paper to have as many professional players in their side as the US and Canada which leads me to believe they have a fairly decent domestic club set up.[/QUOTE

uruguay is a small country and for what i know the main clubs are amateur like in argentina but mostly located in montevideo (the capital city) wich would make it easier to assemble a team, even if they select from another city it wouldnt be far. its kind of a mini argentina system i dont know if they developed some program like argentina did with the pladar. for a crazy footbal nation of some 3 million people (i think rugby may be a 3rd sport after football and basketball they do pretty well.

their rugby has been influenced by argentina cos montevideo is pretty close to buenos aires (i toured to uruguay as a kid several times) now an uruguayan player has been included as a guest for los jaguares. so there´s been an interaction for decades.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the Argentine program is just light years ahead of the rest of the two continents, to be honest. No matter what team the union puts together for this tournament they dominate. The US is a distant second, they have brought in some good sevens players and players on the verge of making the full national side, but yet they are still a few steps behind the Argentines. I really don't know what to say about Canada, they have just looked bad so far this tournament.

usa is looking good at sevens! their problem seems to be the american football beeing a similar sport and way more popular is taking the better athelits. they could and will on grow stronger. its matter of time
i think the sevens style fits more to the american taste that the 15 code
do the usa have a club sistem or is it more a universtiy sport?

Last edited:

cause i know the usa and canada are pretty much just call in the best players you can, canada is a little more organized

the geography doesn't make it easy in the americas as you are bringing players from both sides of the continent, or in chile's case, top and bottom of a continent

i imagine chile, argentina, brazil, and uraguay all have rugby as a distant second to assoc. football but argentina had an established rugby community

US and canada both have about 10-12 sports that are more popular at the youth level

in argentina rugby woud be a 6th or 5th after football, boxing ,car racing, tennis and basketball at least in terms of popularity it´s certenly not in brazil where basketball volley hand ball and many other sports are way bigger than rugby dont know about chile dont think is second.

well it maybe the 10/12 sport but you got 10x our population. Maybe it will grow on you.

arg have 120.000 registred players juniors and adult

I think Canada are experimenting a little bit, so far from full strength despite playing Mack and Paris. Encouraging away performance from Chile despite the loss. The USA looked fairly impressive. Importantly all three games provided some entertainment despite a couple of one sided scores.

I don't know much about the uruguayan system, I assume they simply do what we in North America do and the head coach selects the best players available for any given test. They don't appear on paper to have as many professional players in their side as the US and Canada which leads me to believe they have a fairly decent domestic club set up.[/QUOTE

uruguay is a small country and for what i know the main clubs are amateur like in argentina but mostly located in montevideo (the capital city) wich would make it easier to assemble a team, even if they select from another city it wouldnt be far. its kind of a mini argentina system i dont know if they developed some program like argentina did with the pladar. for a crazy footbal nation of some 3 million people (i think rugby may be a 3rd sport after football and basketball they do pretty well.

their rugby has been influenced by argentina cos montevideo is pretty close to buenos aires (i toured to uruguay as a kid several times) now an uruguayan player has been included as a guest for los jaguares. so there´s been an interaction for decades.

- - - Updated - - -

usa is looking good at sevens! their problem seems to be the american football beeing a similar sport and way more popular is taking the better athelits. they could and will on grow stronger. its matter of time

most people start playing at college and then they go on to clubs

most clubs were adult sides better but now that the old boys have kids old enough to play a lot of them are sponsoring youth clubs

the biggest problem is that youth participation is real low... youth rugby is concentrated into a few areas

since all our youth sports are so tightly wound with school, and these schools have strong histories in our existing sports i don't see participation rising

They have it since a little more than a year. And their Training and Development Center is based at the Estadio Charrúa, in Montevideo.

I think Canada are experimenting a little bit, so far from full strength despite playing Mack and Paris. Encouraging away performance from Chile despite the loss. The USA looked fairly impressive. Importantly all three games provided some entertainment despite a couple of one sided scores.

usa haven´t been tested yet. yes they beat uruguay but for a small margin. los teros are´nt performing this year specially after argentina put 60 points on them. the real test will start with canada ´cos brazil wasnt up to the task either.
as for canada they had a decent match vs arg, but due to the wether conditions it wasnt a real measure, vs chile they underachieve i think

- - - Updated - - -

There is a club system with 2 regional "premierships", we had an attempt at a professional league that appears to have gone away because of bad business and mismanagement. coming up in 2018 there is supposed to be a second attempt at a pro league that will mostly be in the western part of the country. If its managed properly and well run I think it can be a success with its only real competition being major baseball and soccer if its to be played in the spring/summer time. I think what our players need is to play against top level talent week in and week out, I think a new professional league will go a long way toward that

Round 3
Uruguay vs Brazil
(Full Match)

https://youtu.be/v9l5wuJsc_s

URUGUAY 23
Tries – D. Ayala (7'), I. Dotti (16'), A. Nieto (40'), S. Arata (45')
Pens – G. Albanell (50')

BRAZIL 12
Pens – M. Duque 4 (2', 12', 43', 64')
Yellow cards – D. Danielewicz (68')

TEAMS

URUGUAY
1 Mateo Sanguinetti, (17 Matías Benítez 74') 2 Martín Espiga (16 Facundo Gattas 65'), 3 Mario Sagario (18 Juan Echeverría 51'), 4 Ignacio Dotti, 5 Diego Ayala (19 Lorenzo Surraco 61'), 6 Juan Manuel Gaminara (capt.) (20 Juan Diego Ormaechea 51'), 7 Gonzalo Soto (23 Manuel Diana 61'), 8 Alejandro Nieto, 9 Santiago Arata (21 Guillermo Lijtenstein 61'), 10 Germán Albanell, 11 Nicolás Freitas, 12 Andrés Vilaseca (22 Gastón Gibernau 51'), 13 Juan Manuel Cat, 14 Leandro Leivas, 15 Rodrigo Silva

BRAZIL
1 Wilton Rebolo, 2 Daniel Danielewicz (16 Endy Willian HT-51') , 3 Pedro Bengaló (17 Vitor Ancina 56'), 4 Lucas Piero, 5 Diego López, 6 Matheus Daniel (18 Matheus Rocha 69'-79'), 7 Cléber Dias (19 André Arruda 36') , 8 Nick Smith (capt.) (20 João Luiz da Ros 61'), 9 Matheus Cruz (21 Beukes Cremer 79'), 10 Josh Reeves, 11 De Wet van Niekerk, 12 Moisés Duque, 13 Felipe Sancery (22 Luan Smanio 79'), 14 Robert Tenório (23 Ariel Rodrigues 79'), 15 Daniel Sancery

MATCH OFFICIALS

Referee: Pablo De Luca (UAR)
Assistants: Joaquín Montes (URU) & Francisco González (URU)

Last edited by a moderator:
Round 3
Chile vs Argentina XV
(Full Match)

https://youtu.be/V0C5HnFxHwQ

CHILE - 10
Tries – R. Fernández (68')
Cons – F. González Moller (69')
Pens – J. Castillo (7')
Yellow cards – C. Zamorano (32')
Red cards – C. Zamorano (72')

ARGENTINA XV - 45
Tries – J. Cappiello (15'), F. Luna (40'), N. Solveyra (46'), B. Delguy (52'), B. Devoto 2 (61', 77')
Cons – J. González 3 (16', 40', 47'), F. Luna 3 (53', 62', 78')
Pens – J. González (24')

TEAMS

CHILE
1 Claudio Zamorano (17 Sebastián Valech 5'-6', 62'-70'), 2 Manuel Gurruchaga (16 Martín Mendoza 55'), 3 Gonzalo Martínez (18 José Tomás Munita 19'), 4 Mario Mayol (19 Manuel Dagnino 59'), 5 Nelson Calderón, 6 Cristóbal Niedmann (20 Eduardo Orpis 25'-29', 70'), 7 Anton Petrowitsch, 8 Benjamín Soto, 9 Juan Pablo Larenas (17 Sebastián Valech 74'), 10 Jorge Castillo (22 Francisco González Moller 48'), 11 Martín Verschae, 12 Ricardo Sifri (23 Mauricio Urrutia 54'), 13 José Ignacio Larenas (capt.) (21 Sergio Bascuñan 62'), 14 Martín Fernández (17 Sebastián Valech 34'-42'), 15 Rodrigo Fernández

ARGENTINA XV
1 Nicolás Solveyra (17 Francisco Ferronato 55'), 2 Axel Zapata (16 Marcelo Brandi 62'), 3 Eduardo Bello (18 Alejo Brem 55'), 4 Franco Molina (19 Pedro Ortega 48'), 5 Ignacio Larrague, 6 Francisco Gorrissen, 7 Santiago Montagner, 8 Rodrigo Bruni (20 Lautaro Bavaro 58'), 9 Lautaro Bazán (21 Sebastián Cancelliere 64'), 10 Juan Cruz González (22 Tomás Granella 48'), 11 Germán Schulz, 12 Bruno Devoto, 13 Juan Cappiello (capt.), 14 Santiago Ãlvarez (23 Bautista Delguy 48'), 15 Fernando Luna

MATCH OFFICIALS

Referee: Ricardo Sant'Anna (CBRu)
Assistants: Francisco Saavedra (FERUCHI) & Luis Díaz (FERUCHI)

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of substitute players caught my eye. The backup Uruguay scrum half and the Chilean back up fly half Gonzales.

Pretty crazy how dominant the Argentina XV sides are even though the gap is coming down a little. What clubs do the Argentina XV come from? Their domestic league? Are any of them good enough to step in to the gap in the Jaguares squad left by the injuries to Sanchez and Lendajo?

A couple of substitute players caught my eye. The backup Uruguay scrum half and the Chilean back up fly half Gonzales.

Pretty crazy how dominant the Argentina XV sides are even though the gap is coming down a little. What clubs do the Argentina XV come from? Their domestic league? Are any of them good enough to step in to the gap in the Jaguares squad left by the injuries to Sanchez and Lendajo?

Mainly from domestic league but some of them also train in "Pladar", so its like a pro squad vs Amateur sides. As for making the cut to Jags, probably some will but not a replacement for Sanchez to be found among them =(

It bodes well for Uruguay if their club side keeps getting promoted in the Argentine league. They'd develop fast if they were playing players of the calibre of Argentina XV week in, week out.

Latest posts