• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] Round 14: Highlanders vs. Waratahs (27/05/2017)

I think the reasoning was that players were competing over him before he released the ball, so a ruck had formed. By releasing the ball and standing up he is effectively leaving the ruck and so if he just picks up the ball it counts as hands in the ruck as he is picking up the ball while competing in a ruck

Thanks, makes sense.

Pretty good effort for the Tahs, they were physical and ****ly.

Ben Smith man of the match, putting on a masterclass tonight. He's done everything.

Welcome back Sopoaga!! Great performance off the bench, him and Thompson really burst this game open in the 2nd half.

Last edited:
This was a quite brutal game from the Highlanders. Some of the counter rucking was outstanding in that 3rd quarter.

Mumm will be frustrated with that yellow, the Tahs were there or there about until that point and then the Highlanders smelt blood! It really was a turning point, but I still think this was the Highlanders game.

All I have to say is welcome back Sops and especially welcome back Bender! He was immense tonight, reminding everyone why he is the best FB in the world and one of the very best players period. Definite MOTM. Sops was great off the bench too, I hope he starts next week. With those boys back in top form, along with the rest of that Landers squad, they are a real force to be reckoned with. That game in Christchurch will be a beauty!

Like everyone elses comments Ben Smith was a total force in that game.

Sopoanga was absolutely faultless in his time on the pitch.

A shame they let in that soft try at the end and didn't hold onto that bonus point.

Highlanders looking good but it's going to be weird when all teams go on breaks for a month or more soon with the lions series. Kind of makes momentum pretty meaningless for playoffs.

One of those games where the ref had an undue influence, the Tahs can rightly feel agrieved about sub standard refereeing, but if you are good enough you take the ref out of the game and the Tahs didnt do that. At the end of the day its probably for the best, 'winning' the Aus conference is a poison chalice anyway, just means an extra week until you are dumped. I think it was the Tahs best game of the season, with the Force they are playng the best rugby in the Aus conference and while its a fair gap to the NZ teams, if the reffing had been better the gap would have been less.

One of those games where the ref had an undue influence, the Tahs can rightly feel agrieved about sub standard refereeing, but if you are good enough you take the ref out of the game and the Tahs didnt do that. At the end of the day its probably for the best, 'winning' the Aus conference is a poison chalice anyway, just means an extra week until you are dumped. I think it was the Tahs best game of the season, with the Force they are playng the best rugby in the Aus conference and while its a fair gap to the NZ teams, if the reffing had been better the gap would have been less.

I think the TMO was generous to the Highlanders, the on field official was not. I think the on field official gave a majority of the 50/50's to the Tahs. But overall he did a good job.

I was more impressed by the Barracuda than anyone else during that match. He was a damn good center and a more than capable flanker too, no jokes! His involvement and turnovers were key points that allowed the Highlanders to be so dominant and to launch successful counter-attacks.

Ben Smith is a reliable player, always running forward and breaking tackles for fun. I won't praise his excellence as we're all used to it by now.

I was wincing a bit because Aaron was kicking the ball away way too much for my taste. Sometimes it effectively builds pressure on the opposition, but most of the time that's just giving back possession to the other team in a favorable position to counter-attack... definitely not the best option if you use it intensively

Buckman is unbelievably good. He might go down as one of the best players never to get an All Black cap. Does a crucial job for that Landers team in the middle of the park. As for Aaron Smith, for some of his frustrating decision making he completely makes up for that with his distribution, which is by far the best in the world, even TJ doesn't come close with his distribution.

Watched in a pub in Melbourne with no sound and over my shoulder so cant comment on every play, other than Buckmans try where he probably was a step In front can't think how we were lucky in our calls

Could you tell me why Waratahs were playing in the 2nd kits? The sky-blue of Waratahs was not OK against the dark-blue of Highlanders?

Latest posts