• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] Round 9: Crusaders vs. Stormers (22/04/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Super%20Rugby.png

Crusaders.png
Versus%20Super.png
Stormers.png

Venue: AMI Stadium
Time: 09:35 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Teams

Crusaders: 15 David Havili, 14 Seta Tamanivalu, 13 Jack Goodhue, 12 Ryan Crotty, 11 George Bridge, 10 Richie Mo'unga, 9 Mitchell Drummond, 8 Kieran Read, 7 Matt Todd, 6 Jordan Taufua, 5 Sam Whitelock (captain), 4 Scott Barrett, 3 Owen Franks, 2 Codie Taylor, 1 Joe Moody

Substitutes: 16 Ben Funnell, 17 Wyatt Crockett, 18 Michael Alaalatoa, 19 Luke Romano, 20 Pete Samu, 21 Bryn Hall, 22 Mitchell Hunt, 23 Manasa Mataele

Stormers: 15 Dillyn Leyds, 14 Cheslin Kolbe, 13 EW Viljoen, 12 Dan du Plessis, 11 Bjorn Basson, 10 Robert du Preez, 9 Dewaldt Duvenage, 8 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Nizaam Carr, 5 Chris van Zyl, 4 Eben Etzebeth (captain), 3 Wilco Louw, 2 Bongi Mbonambi, 1 JC Janse van Rensburg

Substitutes: 16 Ramone Samuels, 17 Oli Kebble, 18 Frans Malherbe, 19 Jan de Klerk, 20 Cobus Wiese, 21 Jano Vermaak, 22 Kurt Coleman, 23 Dan Kriel

Last edited:
I was hoping for a return of 2/5 of our games vs Chiefs, Lions, Crusaders, Highlanders and Hurricanes. So far we've gone 1/2 which is a fair enough start but the games I thought we stood our best chance in were the two at home and then f the three on tour probably the Highlanders? The Highlanders seem to be getting their best team back if I look at the players coming back in. Gonna be tough. We are going to have to target every game and back ourselves.

Unbeaten Crusaders in Christchurch is about as tough as they come. Do this and I can't imagine what that would do for the confidence of this green team of ours. The Lions bullied us up front. I expect more of the same sadly. Can't wait though.

Unbeaten Crusaders in Christchurch is about as tough as they come. Do this and I can't imagine what that would do for the confidence of this green team of ours. The Lions bullied us up front. I expect more of the same sadly. Can't wait though.

Tbh I think you're in with a decent shot against the Saders. They haven't been as good as their table position would suggest and you guys have been playing some good rugby. You might be right about getting bullied up front though, I think that's where the Saders may win this game, and that pack looks especially strong now that Read's back.
Still, I'm expecting a close game and wouldn't be surprised if it went either way.

The Crusaders have seen the return of a few stars in their back line recently and their forward pack has been formidable to say the least.

We're also resting SP Marais and Kolisi for inferior players, both of which I'd consider key players in the backs and forwards respectively.

It's definitely the Crusaders game to lose, I'd like us to be competitive but I can see a 10+ margin for the Crusaders happening fairly easily.

We have an outside shot if the Crusaders arrive under cooked and over confident.

Should be a blow out to the 'Saders, anything less will disappoint them. Too much class by a fair margin.

A blowout? Highly unlikely between these 2 teams. Both of them will at least put 3 points on the board.

Must be lost in translation! A 'blowout" in aussie vernacular means a one sided score, like 50-5 as an example.

Should be a blow out to the 'Saders, anything less will disappoint them. Too much class by a fair margin.

Based on what? The Saders had scraped through against the Brumbies and the Reds. If that's the case I am sure that the Stormers will put up a competitive showing. I don't expect us to win, but I don't think anyone who has been following Super Rugby properly really expects this to be a blowout.

I expect 'Saders by ~8. Basson on the wing fills me with dread.

I read that PS du Toit was on the flanks which I thought was great in order to add some grunt to our backrow but the saw Kolisi is out fr Carr which swings it back about to a degree. Here's hoping we can sneak it with a bit of luck (or another miracle pass).

I do think the Crusaders will win but I sincerely hope you're wrong about a blow-out.

Last edited:
Going to be a good game, hope the Stormers to be competitive
Saders do look very strong this early in the competition, different to recent previous years

I described last week as "sobering" for the Stormers. This must be downright depressing. Stormers look even more lightweight in heavy conditions against a physical side. Hats off to the Crusaders, I've been thinking their table position was flattering them this year. Shows what I know...

I think the Crusaders were very impressive, but the game was closer than the scoreline suggests.

I do think the Crusaders will win but I sincerely hope you're wrong about a blow-out.

Sorry!

- - - Updated - - -

.... but I don't think anyone who has been following Super Rugby properly really expects this to be a blowout.

I think anyone who follows Super Rugby knew this was the most likely outcome. Its hard not to be biased when its the side you follow thats playing, but as a neutral it was pretty obvious the likely outcome would be a big win to the 'Saders, especially at home.

I think anyone who follows Super Rugby knew this was the most likely outcome. Its hard not to be biased when its the side you follow thats playing, but as a neutral it was pretty obvious the likely outcome would be a big win to the 'Saders, especially at home.

You were the only one on here that was calling that, Jones Boy and Caitlyn Jenner also expected a closer game (New Zealand posters). I'm disappointed with how things turned out, but it was not the expected result by most. The overall expected result on Superbru was Saders by 8. This scoreline was not expected by most, and it has nothing to do with a bias.

Yea I got that wrong lol. To me the Saders' form hadn't been as good as their record suggested and the Stormers were playing some good rugby. The Stormers were a bit under strength though and that was by far the best performance the Saders have put out all year. But yea I don't think many expected the Saders to be THAT dominant...

As a neutral I stopped watching at 17-3 because some of the refereeing decisions were basically **** poor. Tough enough to beat the Crusaders at home against 15, let alone the ref adding to your grief. Final score of 57-24 less them 17 early points makes it a much more interesting conversation. Bit easier for the Crusaders to be expansive and attacking on the back of a 14 point early lead, so any early impetus the Stormers might have had, was well and truly dampened by some bad calls.

Confess to not watching the remainder of the game (well skimmed through it to be fair on the PVR), as what followed was the inevitable scoring blitz by the men in red, and any chance of a rugby contest was lost. Ref was absolutely crap in the first 15 minutes.

To be fair, any non-nz team playing against the Saders, Canes and maybe Chiefs in NZ is likely to suffer a blow out. Maybe the lions on a good day, but not likely.

Positives...

I suppose we drew the 2nd half and the 'Saders 2nd half tries were intercepts.. and, erm..

Hoping the Hurricanes rest key players after watching this (or even just resting BB?) and we get some fire in our bellies and a bit of luck on the road. Before the Chiefs game I was hoping for 2/5. We are at 1/3 and injuries have started taking their toll. To think after the Chiefs game I was starting to hope for 3/5.. oh, well.

Latest posts