• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] Round 9: Crusaders vs. Stormers (22/04/2017)

As a neutral I stopped watching at 17-3 because some of the refereeing decisions were basically **** poor. Tough enough to beat the Crusaders at home against 15, let alone the ref adding to your grief. Final score of 57-24 less them 17 early points makes it a much more interesting conversation. Bit easier for the Crusaders to be expansive and attacking on the back of a 14 point early lead, so any early impetus the Stormers might have had, was well and truly dampened by some bad calls.

Confess to not watching the remainder of the game (well skimmed through it to be fair on the PVR), as what followed was the inevitable scoring blitz by the men in red, and any chance of a rugby contest was lost. Ref was absolutely crap in the first 15 minutes.

In all honesty, he made some piss poor calls both ways, so I don't think the Crusaders gained real any advantage from bad calls. The Stormers could have gained from the ones that went their way if they were good enough, but they weren't.

The Stormers looked back in the game at 36-17 with 20 to go, but the effort was too much on the tired bodies and they collapsed in the last quarter giving up three more tries (despite the Crusaders giving up a soft one with 8 minutes to go). The collapse of the tired Stormer's players was the key reason the score blew out, and if we're talking bad calls, the ruling out of Pete Samu's try after full time was just about the worst call of the night... complete and utter nonsense. That would have made it an even bigger blowout, 64-21.

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose we drew the 2nd half and the 'Saders 2nd half tries were intercepts.. and, erm..

... so was one of the Stormers' (Cheslin Kolbe), right after half time.

Hoping the Hurricanes rest key players after watching this (or even just resting BB?) and we get some fire in our bellies and a bit of luck on the road.

If they do rest Beauden Barrett it won't help your team... you play the Highlanders next, [strike]and you don't play the Hurricanes at all this season (unless you meet in the playoffs)[/strike] EDIT: My mistake. I missed seeing it on the schedule.

Last edited:
Unfortunately we were just bad and got thoroughly trounced by the better team.

To be fair only 4 of our players had ever been to Christchurch before showing our inexperience.

My only hope is that we accept this year as a year to build or culture, and we don't retreat back to a conservative SA rugby philosophy.

Next week against the Highlanders should be a game to target, it's our easiest game on the tour. It was always going to be tough to play the Crusaders at home and the Canes in Wellington in two weeks.

If they do rest Beauden Barrett it won't help your team... you play the Highlanders next, [strike]and you don't play the Hurricanes at all this season (unless you meet in the playoffs)[/strike] EDIT: My mistake. I missed seeing it on the schedule.

I'm clutching at straws here LOL. I thought I remembered the Hurricanes are next up but TBH I'm glad its the 'Landers. Possibly a little bit easier relatively speaking?

Unfortunately we were just bad and got thoroughly trounced by the better team.

To be fair only 4 of our players had ever been to Christchurch before showing our inexperience.

My only hope is that we accept this year as a year to build or culture, and we don't retreat back to a conservative SA rugby philosophy.

Next week against the Highlanders should be a game to target, it's our easiest game on the tour. It was always going to be tough to play the Crusaders at home and the Canes in Wellington in two weeks.

That would be fine (chalking this year up as gaining experience) IF we manage to hold onto those gaining experience. That's the issue SA teams have had recently; continually needing to develop new players and never actually getting the benefit of experience (in more positions than not).

Stormers were just kak, not even Shaun Veldsman could have helped here

In all honesty, he made some piss poor calls both ways, so I don't think the Crusaders gained real any advantage from bad calls. The Stormers could have gained from the ones that went their way if they were good enough, but they weren't.

The Stormers looked back in the game at 36-17 with 20 to go, but the effort was too much on the tired bodies and they collapsed in the last quarter giving up three more tries (despite the Crusaders giving up a soft one with 8 minutes to go). The collapse of the tired Stormer's players was the key reason the score blew out, and if we're talking bad calls, the ruling out of Pete Samu's try after full time was just about the worst call of the night... complete and utter nonsense. That would have made it an even bigger blowout, 64-21.

- - - Updated - - -

My point was rather he made some poor decisions early and the outcome became even more inevitable. I lost interest thanks to the ref.

Latest posts