• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018-19 Guinness Pro 14] Round 3 (14, 15 & 16/09/2018)

I would have said that with the first home game for the Cheetahs that they stand a very good chance to get their first win but with Glasgow its one of the toughest teams to face first up at home so it will be tough, lets hope the Cheetahs can play the attacking all out brand of Rugby that they are known for.

Great to see Hugh O'Sullivan on the bench for Leinster. It might take a while for him to settle as a 9 due to playing a lot at 15 in school but once he does, he has a lot of talent.

That's the women's team! .

Such is the depth of Leinster their women's team could probably reach the Pro14 playoffs. :p

Away wins for Blues, Warriors and Ulster seem obvious predictions. I think the Kings will give Ulster a scare (if the weather is good), but lose.

Kings and Zebre desperately need a tactical plan B for play in wet conditions. I rate coaches Bradley and Davids but surely they must see that throwing the ball about wildly in the wet is a recipe for disaster.

Bennett injured again already for Edinburgh. Some players are so unlucky / injury prone.

Hayward is a big loss for Treviso too, but I don't know anything about the replacement.

Cheetahs started poorly last season and stepped up, but the list of quality players who left them in the past year is crazy.

I'll hide behind the sofa during the first shots of the crowds in SA.

Ospreys are getting deleted here by something approaching Munster's first team. Beirne having a cracker and Carberry has grown into a classy performance after a couple stray kicks. Cloete has looked just monstrous after injury. He plays right on the line so he'll give away a few penalties but he wins way more than he loses.

Shocking decision by Clarke to basically send a second string over to Munster. Was always going to be a big loss, and I think it's a poor way to approach things. Makes a complete mockery of the league imo! At least when Leinster or Munster do it they're still strong enough to compete/win.

Worrying to see Sam Davies have such a poor game as well, given that he's their only option at 10. Platform was poor, but some very worrying errors and decision making, especially that ridiculous chip which led to Carbery's try!

Cockerill doing some gurning (as per usual) about referees.

Yeah, some of it isn't good enough - but he does nothing for the game repeatedly bringing it into the public domain.

In addition, I'd be fairly sure there are decisions that have went his way - not complaining about those though.

Carbery has had a flying start in red. I hate to admit it but that move was probably the right step.

Given it's home to the Dragons the Leinster team is very strong but I suppose the the senior players have to play sometime before the Munster / Europe / Europe window. Cullen will still end up in trouble with the media if Sexton picks up a semi-serious injury in this game though.

How the absolute **** was that not a ******* penalty try. The refs in this league are *****. Cockerill is damn right to complain.

Crazily open game between Cheetahs and Glasgow. Three tries in 10 minutes. Cheetahs lethal on turnover ball.

Gutted for Treviso, that would have been a big win. Coming away with a try bonus point wasn't a bad result considering how much of the game they played with 14 men. I suppose they were never likely to go the distance as a result, but it would have made for a great moment. The Scarlets will need to do a lot better as the season goes on if that's how they play at home against 14 men.

76 points in Bloemfontein. Nothing new there then :p

Glasgow looking hungry and well drilled, Hastings unsurprisingly like a duck to water at the starting berth so far this year.

Cheetahs weaker across the board than last season, with the exception possibly of Schoeman at fly half who I thought looked better than Pollard at the Bulls two seasons ago (Pollard coming back from injury mind). Schoeman had a bad error for a try, but it's to be expected when you are told to play so loose. If he can catch fire with Venter at 12 I can't rule out the playoffs but the pack seem soft this season.

Glasgow to top Conference A. Cheetahs to be 5th or 6th I think.

Leinster demolished Dragons without over exerting themselves. Could easily have scored 70 had they been more clinical. Jamison Gibson Park was brilliant at 9.

Jordan Williams scored an outstanding individual try for Dragons.

Bernard Jackman seems like a lovely guy and it's refreshing to hear a head coach be so open and articulate with the media. He talks a great game. Is he doing a good job as head coach though?

How the hell the Blues were beaten tonight after scoring the first three tries inside 15 minutes is beyond my intelligence !!
Things started to go wrong when at 21 - 7 they insisted on kicking for goal rather than look for the fourth try bonus point.

Welsh rugby is little better than Glamorgan cricket !!!!

Yeah, not sure what's up with the Blues. Brilliant start which should have seen then earn a bonus point by half time, but instead they capitulated.

Great effort from Zebra mind.

Dragons simply couldn't live with Leinster. They won't be the only side this season! It's not as if the dragons were shockingly bad either.

Have to mention Jordan Williams' try though, they need to get him into space as much as possible because he's lethal!

Nasty looking injury for poor Halam Amos as well.

Yeah, not sure what's up with the Blues. Brilliant start which should have seen then earn a bonus point by half time, but instead they capitulated.

Great effort from Zebra mind.

Dragons simply couldn't live with Leinster. They won't be the only side this season! It's not as if the dragons were shockingly bad either.

Have to mention Jordan Williams' try though, they need to get him into space as much as possible because he's lethal!

Nasty looking injury for poor Halam Amos as well.

I think what's worrying is the team seem to have lost all the things that made them competitive last year. They've retained their attacking edge, but then that is the nature of the backline that Cardiff have. What's gone is numerous assets of the set piece, defensive organisation, game management plan and fitness. The inability to respect possession means for long periods Cardiff defend and tire.

This is a fairly similar group fo players to what we had last year (including one or two really positive additions). The only thing we can look towards at the moment is the gamble taken on the new set of coaches. None of them were proven, and it's showing. It feels like a Mark Hammett situation all over again, a poor fit. Hoping it's teething problems, but (with all respect to Zebre) the deterioration has been vast in a short space of time.

I think what's worrying is the team seem to have lost all the things that made them competitive last year. They've retained their attacking edge, but then that is the nature of the backline that Cardiff have. What's gone is numerous assets of the set piece, defensive organisation, game management plan and fitness. The inability to respect possession means for long periods Cardiff defend and tire.

This is a fairly similar group fo players to what we had last year (including one or two really positive additions). The only thing we can look towards at the moment is the gamble taken on the new set of coaches. None of them were proven, and it's showing. It feels like a Mark Hammett situation all over again, a poor fit. Hoping it's teething problems, but (with all respect to Zebre) the deterioration has been vast in a short space of time.

I think Cardiff should have switched Matthew Morgan to 10 midway through the 2nd half, when it was obvious that they were having difficulties with the bonus point. M. M. is a dynamic player, and even though he is small he is always the first man to his feet after a heavy tackle.

Gutted for Treviso, that would have been a big win. Coming away with a try bonus point wasn't a bad result considering how much of the game they played with 14 men. I suppose they were never likely to go the distance as a result, but it would have made for a great moment. The Scarlets will need to do a lot better as the season goes on if that's how they play at home against 14 men.
The referee condemned Treviso to an undeserved loose! Did you see the action of the red card? And what about the yellow card? Was he jokeing?

It would had be a sure victory for treviso on saturday! But the referee helped the scarlets to win...

Sorry but the red and yellow cards were fully deserved. You can't forearm smash a playing to the head when he's lying on his back in a ruck. Very lucky it was a glancing shot, or it could have been a very serious injury.

A few years ago the yellow would have only been a penalty, but there's been a concerted push from world rugby to reduce collisions with the head, and this simply followed that trend.

Benneton still played fantastically well, huge credit to them. They would have been in with a very good chance of winning but for the cards, but that ain't the ref's fault!

Latest posts