Fri 3 Nov Glasgow v Stormers (7.35pm)

Fri 3 Nov Ospreys v Sharks (7.35pm, Twickenham Stoop) Live on BBC Wales

Sat 4 Nov Zebre Parma v Bulls (1pm)

Sat 4 Nov Leinster v Edinburgh (3.05pm)

Sat 4 Nov Munster v Dragons (5.15pm) Live on S4C

Sat 4 Nov Scarlets v Cardiff (5.15pm)

Sat 4 Nov Connacht v Ulster (7.35pm)

Sun 5 Nov Benetton v Lions (1.30pm)

Looking forward to our game v Glasgow. Over the RWC and ready to get into Stormers mode. Just wondering if we will see our test players on tour but I wouldn't be surprised or against them seeing a long rest.

Hoping Nel is okay and huge pity about Moerat. Could've been a rwc winner in place of Kleyn but for long term injury only to work to get fit and injured again 2nd game in. Heart breaking. And this after David Meuhuizen is forced into early retirement before his break out year. Honestly cannot believe the two positions where we are light is where we suffer injury. Still backing us to get 15 log points on tour.

Vermeulen at 4? I'd prefer both Roos and Dayimani at 8 and 7 at this level tbh.

Looking forward to our game v Glasgow. Over the RWC and ready to get into Stormers mode. Just wondering if we will see our test players on tour but I wouldn't be surprised or against them seeing a long rest.

Hoping Nel is okay and huge pity about Moerat. Could've been a rwc winner in place of Kleyn but for long term injury only to work to get fit and injured again 2nd game in. Heart breaking. And this after David Meuhuizen is forced into early retirement before his break out year. Honestly cannot believe the two positions where we are light is where we suffer injury. Still backing us to get 15 log points on tour.

Vermeulen at 4? I'd prefer both Roos and Dayimani at 8 and 7 at this level tbh.

No Springboks on the tour I think. They're on the bus across SA over the weekend, and then I think it's mandatory rest. Maybe the last game but I doubt it.

Moerat was the first game back out injured. Terrible luck. We actually performed relatively decently in the forwards so far, so not yet worried there. For the tour I'm worried about centre. Injuries and Boks away means we are really thin there and going to have to play players out of position. Hopefully we can make it work.

And I think Vermeulen isn't there to play every game if we get him. He is there to play a squad role. Last year we got exposed on depth at some points. That being said I don't think loose forward is where we needed the buffering.

I noticed the flair was at an all time high for the Stormers this weekend, particularly Gelant. Wondering if that's just because of how far ahead we were or that's how we are going to play. Specifically referring to the many speculative short kicks, running consistently from our own 22 and quite a few no look pop passes. Was fun to watch at least. Looking forward to the season.

This Glasgow team is a tough test though at home.

The last game is the one where we would probably- hopefully- not need them so I wouldn't fly them over if it were my call.

My worry at center is defensively. De Jongh has a ton of experience at 13 but I worry about a lack of gas. Also an option is Hartzenberg but then we have the opposite issue although it might be good long term to give him the exposure at this level but ATM its Dan du Plessis for me at 13 with SFM going so well at 12.

Edit. But of course not one of those 3 are touring lol. So the Stormers touring squad does not contain 1 single center..

Forwards: Ben-Jason Dixon, Joseph Dweba, Willie Engelbrecht, Connor Evans, Neethling Fouche, Lizo Gqoboka, Brok Harris, Lee-Marvin Mazibuko, Keke Morabe, Scarra Ntubeni, Gary Porter, Evan Roos, Adre Smith, Marcel Theunissen, Ruben van Heerden, Andre-Hugo Venter, Ali Vermaak, Nama Xaba.
Backs: Clayton Blommetjies, Angelo Davids, Paul de Wet, Jean-Luc du Plessis, Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu, Warrick Gelant, Herschel Jantjies, Ben Loader, Courtnall Skosan, Stefan Ungerer, Leolin Zas.

Last edited:
My worry at center is defensively. De Jongh has a ton of experience at 13 but I worry about a lack of gas. Also an option is Hartzenberg but then we have the opposite issue although it might be good long term to give him the exposure at this level but ATM its Dan du Plessis for me at 13 with SFM going so well at 12.

We didn't really take good cover for this tour though, both De Jongh and Hartzenberg have stayed at home. It's very much stop gap and filling with other positions. SFM will remain at 12, but I think it might be Loader at 13. Potentially Jean-Luc comes in to centres.

Forwards: Ben-Jason Dixon, Joseph Dweba, Willie Engelbrecht, Connor Evans, Neethling Fouche, Lizo Gqoboka, Brok Harris, Lee-Marvin Mazibuko, Keke Morabe, Scarra Ntubeni, Gary Porter, Evan Roos, Adre Smith, Marcel Theunissen, Ruben van Heerden, Andre-Hugo Venter, Ali Vermaak, Nama Xaba.
Backs: Clayton Blommetjies, Angelo Davids, Paul de Wet, Jean-Luc du Plessis, Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu, Warrick Gelant, Herschel Jantjies, Ben Loader, Courtnall Skosan, Stefan Ungerer, Leolin Zas.

I suppose this is where we see the value of the utility players we have but where in the world is Dan du Plessis at least- sheesh!

With that squad, what is our best XV?

Maybe?

1 Gqoboka, 2 Dweba (I suppose though I'd prefer Venter), 3 Fouche (c)
4 Van Heerden, 5 Smith / Porter / Dixon (not seeing Hendre Stassen's name amongst the travelers as well...)
6 Xaba, 7 Theunissen / Dayimani, 8 Roos

9 De Wet, 10 Blommetjies (TBF has gone surprisingly well even if start of season I thought it was going to be one of Wolhuter, SF-M or Du Plessis)
12, Feinberg-Mngomezulu, 13 Loader / Gelant / Skosan
11 Zas, 14 Davids, 15 Gelant / Loader

Or does Blommetjies move out to cover 13 or 15 and Du Plessis goes to 10?

And probably 6-2 split given the type and amount of backline players

I suppose this is where we see the value of the utility players we have but where in the world is Dan du Plessis at least- sheesh!

With that squad, what is our best XV?

Maybe?

1 Gqoboka, 2 Dweba (I suppose though I'd prefer Venter), 3 Fouche (c)
4 Van Heerden, 5 Smith / Porter / Dixon (not seeing Hendre Stassen's name amongst the travelers as well...)
6 Xaba, 7 Theunissen / Dayimani, 8 Roos

9 De Wet, 10 Blommetjies (TBF has gone surprisingly well even if start of season I thought it was going to be one of Wolhuter, SF-M or Du Plessis)
12, Feinberg-Mngomezulu, 13 Loader / Gelant / Skosan
11 Zas, 14 Davids, 15 Gelant / Loader

Or does Blommetjies move out to cover 13 or 15 and Du Plessis goes to 10?

And probably 6-2 split given the type and amount of backline players

I think that looks about right. On 10, we have loanded Wolhouter to the Lions, so was never going to be him for this year I guess. I think it was Loader that covered outside centre when Nel got injured, but Gelant also seemed fairly involved in the centres. I think Blommetjies is doing really well as you said - Surprising big boost of confidence and playing with quite a bit of freedom it seems. Question is he can keep this performance going throughout our tour.

Stormers – 15 Warrick Gelant, 14 Angelo Davids, 13 Ben Loader, 12 Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu, 11 Leolin Zas, 10 Jean-Luc du Plessis, 9 Herschel Jantjies, 8 Keke Morabe, 7 Evan Roos, 6 Willie Engelbrecht, 5 Ruben van Heerden, 4 Ben-Jason Dixon, 3 Neethling Fouche (c), 2 Joseph Dweba, 1 Ali Vermaak.
Subs: 16 Andre-Hugo Venter, 17 Lizo Gqoboka, 18 Brok Harris, 19 Adre Smith, 20 Gary Porter, 21 Marcel Theunissen, 22 Stefan Ungerer, 23 Clayton Blommetjies.

A few alterations. I wonder if this is to some degree a bit of rotation. De Wet missing entirely. Blommetjies dropping to bench. Morabe coming in on a Stormers debut. On top of two injury enforced changes.

Still a decent side if we click.

Really looking forward to travel to Llanelli to watch 2 reduced semi pro teams battle it out with the best playe...

Oh wait, the WRU want another money spinner, so all 4 Welsh regions lose internationals a few weeks after a world cup, making the 3 unattractive prospects even more unattractive.

Can someone please guy fawkes the MS and do us all a favour?!?!?!

Bravo Ospreys, what a performance from a squad on its bare bones. Sharks dont look up to much tbf, and one dimensional attack helped, but Ospreys literally have a team of kids, Swansea uni students being promoted to first team squad players lol.

Have to say though, fixture list is brutal for the Hollywoodbet sharks (hahahahaha ffs) 4 away games first up is harsh!

Also congrats to Glasgow, didnt see the Stormers squad, but theres no such thing as a bad Stormers team.

Couldn't watch the game. Highlights very poor for getting a feel of the game but looks like our discipline let us down and poor maul defense looking at the yellows and two tries from their hooker?

Couldn't watch the game. Highlights very poor for getting a feel of the game but looks like our discipline let us down and poor maul defense looking at the yellows and two tries from their hooker?
I watched the game. We were pretty terrible, don't think the players adjusted well to the conditions (dry, but 5-10 degrees which they're not used to). Never really looked like scoring a try and just consistently knocking the ball on in the first half. I think there was a point around the 30 minute mark where we had 25% possession. In some ways we were also playing a bit of Springbok up and under rugby, but aren't as dominant in the forwards/chasing for it.

Roos needs to sort himself out. That yellow was utterly pointless and could've been worse. Other teams know just to try get under his skin and they are guaranteed to play against 14 men shortly after that. Dweba's card was slightly less stupid, but still not wise to life a player. Team did a great job to keep their defensive line and only concede the one try when down to 13, but just couldn't string much together.

SFN did some good things but also some bad things. Definitely a game to learn from for him, but his kicking from the tee was ideal. I really hope he takes over all of those duties from here on and Libbok just remains focused on flyhalf play. Really feels like we could do with our Springbok forwards back for these types of tight clashes, and I'm way more keen on us picking up Vermeulen now.

But to your point, maul defense cost us in the first half... in fact it was just set-piece defense in general close to our line. Their first try was also a centre try but it was directly off a lineout (may have been a scrum). When it was open play we did a great job our defending our line.

It's insane that only a few years back we had a reputation for ultra conservative selections. That is so firmly out the window. K Ryan has had a v unexpected breakout. That second row really excites me, could be our SR for a decade and both have top international potential. Butler getting the start is nice to see, esp as Crowley is available. Quinn and Gleeson off the bench is class. Interested to see how SO'B goes.

I've been hyping O'Connor for a while, let's see how he goes.

F-AfXhFXIAA-BRV.jpeg

I watched the game. We were pretty terrible, don't think the players adjusted well to the conditions (dry, but 5-10 degrees which they're not used to). Never really looked like scoring a try and just consistently knocking the ball on in the first half. I think there was a point around the 30 minute mark where we had 25% possession. In some ways we were also playing a bit of Springbok up and under rugby, but aren't as dominant in the forwards/chasing for it.

Roos needs to sort himself out. That yellow was utterly pointless and could've been worse. Other teams know just to try get under his skin and they are guaranteed to play against 14 men shortly after that. Dweba's card was slightly less stupid, but still not wise to life a player. Team did a great job to keep their defensive line and only concede the one try when down to 13, but just couldn't string much together.

SFN did some good things but also some bad things. Definitely a game to learn from for him, but his kicking from the tee was ideal. I really hope he takes over all of those duties from here on and Libbok just remains focused on flyhalf play. Really feels like we could do with our Springbok forwards back for these types of tight clashes, and I'm way more keen on us picking up Vermeulen now.

But to your point, maul defense cost us in the first half... in fact it was just set-piece defense in general close to our line. Their first try was also a centre try but it was directly off a lineout (may have been a scrum). When it was open play we did a great job our defending our line.

Ah cheers for the kind summary. I suppose with such a makeshift side the chances were always good for a disjointed performance.

Think I'll skip the rerun and hope we get back up for the rest of the tour.

Harry Byrne might just be it… was class today.

A lot of young talent on show for Leinster tonight beating a good few Scottish starters (albeit dragged down massively, by the absolutely no loss to Ireland, Ben Healy). Osbourne, Culhane and Boyle are potential key players come 2027.

Latest posts