• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 6 Nations] Round 5 : England v Ireland (17/03/2018)

It's going to be a close game, although I can see England winning just for the fact it's at Twickenham.

Farrell creates pressure and forces mistakes, if Ford threw himself in the tackle I wouldn't critise he is back peddling meters before initial contact.

I did say if you are not worried about tackling Cips in my mind is the better attacker...

Farrell is more likely to miss a tackle and leave a dogleg in defence than to force an opposition 10 to make a mistake. It works against club teams and less experienced international 10's but against good 10's, they see it coming and can just work the ball round him, particularly with a pop pass to a player row running straight through the hole he just left in defence.

England have 9 test playing lions in the team
They are not suddenly a bad team
I expect a much better performance this week as I hope they have been training to peak for this match
I always live in hope haha

Ridiculous article. Scoring of the centres is way off. Joseph is a poor man's Ringrose and T'eo is a poor man's Aki. Sexton has been so much better than Farrell for club and country this season that the idea that he should be within a point let alone tied is laughable.

We also get these gems:

'Watson acquitted himself well against France'
'Stockdale hasn't put a foot wrong defensively'
'Ryan has made significant errors'

lol.

You'd think they were after mixing Stockdale and Ryan up reading that nonsense. Ryan has been flawless for his entire career. Haskell would be 7th choice at best for Leinster, how he's on the same score as Leavy is beyond me.

Also Hartley on the same score as Best? Really? Who writes this? Do they watch rugby? Jamie George > Every other hooker in both squads > Most qualified hookers not in either squad > Hartley. Best is a better player and a better captain. Only player in the England team who'd get close to Ireland on form is Daly.
It does sort of make you wonder why England are bothering to turn up at all doesn't it?

The centres are rather on par with one another, two big lumps at 12 and two silky runners at 13. I don't think there is much difference in ability between the two teams, at 10 Sexton is the better player but Farrell isn't too far behind. However at 9 is the serious difference, one of the best 9s (if not the best) in the world against wigglesworth. Who would be 4th choice for me with everyone fit and available.

Hoping for Farrell to find the arrogant/aggressive edge on Saturday, feel like it's been missing for a few games now. It's certainly the attitude that brings the best plays out in him but f*** me, it would be annoying to play against!

Can see Saracens back patterns coming to some use this weekend, Te'o = Barritt and Joseph = Bosch. Paired with Kruis and Itoje operating together in tandem, the more I think about it the closer the points difference gets. Ireland by 5?

The centres are rather on par with one another, two big lumps at 12 and two silky runners at 13. I don't think there is much difference in ability between the two teams, at 10 Sexton is the better player but Farrell isn't too far behind. However at 9 is the serious difference, one of the best 9s (if not the best) in the world against wigglesworth. Who would be 4th choice for me with everyone fit and available.

If jj is a silky runner he has done a good job hiding it.

It's quite hard for a centre to impress when your pack can't hold onto the ball for more than two phases. JJ has proved multiple times he can destroy teams with his footwork, can you not remember the Scotland game last year? Where England won 61-22 and he scored a hat-trick.

It's quite hard for a centre to impress when your pack can't hold onto the ball for more than two phases. JJ has proved multiple times he can destroy teams with his footwork, can you not remember the Scotland game last year? Where England won 61-22 and he scored a hat-trick.

I mean every player in that game destroyed Scotland so not hard.
Other than that when has he been a attacking force under eddie?

I get the feeling that Daly and Hartley are still being monitored and aren't 100%.

If you look at the photos of the squad training today, no-one's gone home... so they can name the squad knowing they have anyone they might need in order to replace them.
Hartley and Daly are also both wearing red socks.

I get the feeling that Daly and Hartley are still being monitored and aren't 100%.

If you look at the photos of the squad training today, no-one's gone home... so they can name the squad knowing they have anyone they might need in order to replace them.
Hartley and Daly are also both wearing red socks.

Agreed, when they delayed the announcement to see how they went in training but then picked both, I immediately thought 'They'll go down in the captains run/warm up'.

I have a feeling Daly will drop out, Brown to 15 and Watson to wing. Maybe Solomona to the bench.

Surely they wouldn't have risked selecting Hartley and having in pressers etc as captain unless they were totally sure

I wouldn't be surprised Alpha Bro, I'd argue if Brown is at full back over Watson then the Irish kicking game may have to alter, but Murray/Sexton/Kearney all more than able to quickly change tactics on the hoof whatever happens I expect

Surely they wouldn't have risked selecting Hartley and having in pressers etc as captain unless they were totally sure

I think they would,
Hartley is EJs boy and he'd select him even if there was only like a 50/50 chance of him making the game.
He's the squad captain, as well, and has an involved role even when injured (was water boy vs France) so I don't think they have an issue rolling him out in front of the press instead of Farrell

I like that team. Im quietly confident we can just pinch it.

Kruis and Itoje as a partnership I like. Kruis is our best caller. Back row needs to seriously work hard and hope that Sinckler gets full involved too. Can see Teo being busy at the ruck as well.

Armand off the bench hopefully will have some impact and Cole just to counter Mcgrath coming on. George, Marler and Cole is one heck of a scrummaging bench to bring on. Launch is in form so can offer something from the bench, similar to bringing on Toner really.

Wigglesworth is the better controller at 9 and Farrell can hopefully put us in some decent positions. Teo is twice the player at 12, hopefully can open up some space for Joseph, May and Watson. Daly to kick some points.

Praying Hartley offers something around the park.

Come on the boys!!!!

On the matter of Danny Cipriani...it's been a while now since I've actually had to worry about his tackling or commitment to tackling. Saying that "Ford doesn't always make the tackle but at least he tries" is no longer a relevant comment.

I would feel far more confident this weekend if we had Danny on the bench. He's playing the best rugby of his life at the moment and if the word is to be believed, he has been partly responsible for building our style of play not just on the pitch but at a planning level. I'd love to see how he could work with Farrell.
Would his defence stand up to international level scrutiny? I don't know, but I still remember the beating he handed to Ireland on his debut and he still has that in him.

Latest posts