• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Six Nations] England Squad

And even then his lineouts have never been quite right.

Never perfect. Love the bloke though. Hard as nails, never takes a step back. If I was in a bar fight, you'd want him as a mate on your shoulder. Met him once after a Sale game vs Tigs, he was one of the most pleasant men I've met

Anyone else of note do it to your knowledge?
Beaumont switched from 10 to 8 to, now, lock.
Thacker went from 10(?) to hooker.
On the flip side, North and Yarde both used to be 7s before switching to wing.
There are tons of examples; it's a lot more common than you'd think.

I think Harry Thacker may have converted early ,as did Simmonds (wasn't cutting it as a centre at age grade level).

What i can safely say is, that it is hugely rare for a professional player to play high level rugby in the backs or forwards, convert, and play high level rugby in the other.

Any change is often made early on.

It's a lot more common than you'd think.
I wonder if it had something to do with Yarde's innability to tackle haha

I think Harry Thacker may have converted early ,as did Simmonds (wasn't cutting it as a centre at age grade level).

What i can safely say is, that it is hugely rare for a professional player to play high level rugby in the backs or forwards, convert, and play high level rugby in the other.

Any change is often made early on.

Is it rare, because few of them try? As we have already seen on this thread, many do earlier in their rugby careers.

I wonder if it had something to do with Yarde's innability to tackle haha
"I actually chose to play 7, but they realised I wasn't hitting any rucks so they thought I should be on the wing."
I imagine tackling had quite a bit to do with it as well though.

There's quite a few, usually switching at age-grade, or coming to the sport late (from 7s or league).
None end up interchangeable between the two positions; Farrell Snr and Burgess are probably the two closest to doing so, and neither was actually interchangeable.

I can't think of any player who successfully switched between backs and forwards after earning a full-time contract (the newcomers all tend to have found their niche by the end of their first season)

There are tons of examples; it's a lot more common than you'd think.

Both age grade conversions. Had no idea Yarde had been a 7

There's quite a few, usually switching at age-grade, or coming to the sport late (from 7s or league).
None end up interchangeable between the two positions; Farrell Snr and Burgess are probably the two closest to doing so, and neither was actually interchangeable.

I can't think of any player who successfully switched between backs and forwards after earning a full-time contract (the newcomers all tend to have found their niche by the end of their first season)

Have any too your knowledge tried to though?

I'm pretty sure Bakkies Botha was a 10 when he was a youngster in South Africa!
On the subject of changing positions, I don't think you'd be able to switch between both. The physical change would be the biggest issue, unless Basteraud became a proper. He'd have to lose a little weight but it could work....

I'm pretty sure Bakkies Botha was a 10 when he was a youngster in South Africa!
On the subject of changing positions, I don't think you'd be able to switch between both. The physical change would be the biggest issue, unless Basteraud became a proper. He'd have to lose a little weight but it could work....
Really? I had no idea! What a man.

Latest posts