• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Super Rugby] Round 3: Blues vs. Chiefs (02/03/2018)

What can you do about your hooker throwing the ball not straight in the last play of the game, that's player error, not coaching.

What can you do about your hooker throwing the ball not straight in the last play of the game, that's player error, not coaching.

if anything calling the throw to the back was the error. asking your 2nd hooker to nail a tough critical throw at the end of the game? It should have been a simple throw and shift the attack point.
the blues name a number of mistakes in those final few minutes. that was just the last one. They lacked leadership and composure. Its not a new problem with blues closing out games in particular against NZ teams.
plus the chiefs made a similar error not getting the ball into touch just seconds earlier from a scrum to end the game.

It's true, the Blues fill all the holes for almost all the requirements needed to be top of the Kiwi franchises but one crucial area they really struggle in is game management.
They don't handle the pressure when it gets really tight.
They knock on and make poor decisions that they wouldn't have made 40 minutes earlier.
It's about experience and confidence.
Problem is Auckland have next to no winning experience against other franchises... and some of the younger players need the confidence that winning breeds.

It's concerning because there's a number of high profile All Blacks in that team and a number of promising talents

For the Blues...

Akira Iaone is a slouch. He should be one of the top 8's in the world with his natural ability, but never delivers a full performance. Every game he comes out flying, and then disappears. Can't blame Rieko in this one for only getting loose a couple of times. Every time he touched the ball the Chiefs dedicated two men to the tackle. Excellent game-planning to eliminate his threat. George Moala is trash IMO, and the biggest reason the Blues backline fails to fire against Kiwi opponents. Absolutely no distribution from such a critical position, and for such a big, pacey man he goes down in contact far too easily. Kaino didn't provide any lift off the bench, and the Blues backup front row is amateur. Pulu is a mess out there, and it's always been like that. With his added bulk, he's lost a step too. Damn though, the dude is like an extra flanker out there of defence. Even though he was never putting in a wrap, you have to love Duffie's angry tackles after a soft start. Nanai should really play for another franchise if he wants to live up to his potential. He always has to create for himself and was wasted after Collins came on and shuffled him to the wing. Collins isn't good enough for a Kiwi franchise.

For the Chiefs...

How about young Aidan Ross proving his place and potential against an All Black? Didn't give an inch and was a rucking machine. Though, he struggles a bit with lateral mobility on defence. Laulala was playing the best rugby I've seen from him- impressive given his late-2017 form. Another huge loss. What's with Retallick missing the game because of his eye?! Dude probably scratched his eye putting in those contacts that always pop out. Get laser eye surgery already man. You rarely see acceleration from a tall man like you do with Alaimalo and I'll second Larksea's flagging of him as AB material. He is a very underrated defender as well. Sometimes he doesn't complete the tackle, but he never gets beat clean and is all over the park. Falcon is eerily Cruden-esque.

How about some love for Tyler Ardron!!!? This would only be commended by a few of my compatriots, but that cap was the biggest accomplishment in Canadian rugby history in my opinion. Our national program is corrupt, failing, and amateur to the core, and Tyler represents our only beacon for professionalism and ambition.

For the Blues...
For the Chiefs...

bit harsh ins some areas but I generally agree, pretty harsh on Akira, yeah hes not perfect but pretty much every time he touches the ball he breaks a tackle and commits additional defenders to take him down. The guy is doing some amazing stuff on attack. but he can't do everything. When hes the one clocking up meters and scoring tries his teammates need to step up in other areas.
Kinda agree on Moala though he has been better with his distribution and did get some go forward.
pulu is the biggest problem IMO, which may shock some and in some regards he is their best player. But he is the one who should be controlling the game and despite his physical power and impact, plus his speed. he is not finding the space and controlling the game very well.

I absolutely agree on Aidan Ross, He's been very impressive. Kinda reminds me of Joe Moody a bit and we could use more of those guys in NZ...

For the Blues...

Akira Iaone is a slouch. He should be one of the top 8's in the world with his natural ability, but never delivers a full performance. Every game he comes out flying, and then disappears. Can't blame Rieko in this one for only getting loose a couple of times. Every time he touched the ball the Chiefs dedicated two men to the tackle. Excellent game-planning to eliminate his threat. George Moala is trash IMO, and the biggest reason the Blues backline fails to fire against Kiwi opponents. Absolutely no distribution from such a critical position, and for such a big, pacey man he goes down in contact far too easily. Kaino didn't provide any lift off the bench, and the Blues backup front row is amateur. Pulu is a mess out there, and it's always been like that. With his added bulk, he's lost a step too. Damn though, the dude is like an extra flanker out there of defence. Even though he was never putting in a wrap, you have to love Duffie's angry tackles after a soft start. Nanai should really play for another franchise if he wants to live up to his potential. He always has to create for himself and was wasted after Collins came on and shuffled him to the wing. Collins isn't good enough for a Kiwi franchise.

For the Chiefs...

How about young Aidan Ross proving his place and potential against an All Black? Didn't give an inch and was a rucking machine. Though, he struggles a bit with lateral mobility on defence. Laulala was playing the best rugby I've seen from him- impressive given his late-2017 form. Another huge loss. What's with Retallick missing the game because of his eye?! Dude probably scratched his eye putting in those contacts that always pop out. Get laser eye surgery already man. You rarely see acceleration from a tall man like you do with Alaimalo and I'll second Larksea's flagging of him as AB material. He is a very underrated defender as well. Sometimes he doesn't complete the tackle, but he never gets beat clean and is all over the park. Falcon is eerily Cruden-esque.

How about some love for Tyler Ardron!!!? This would only be commended by a few of my compatriots, but that cap was the biggest accomplishment in Canadian rugby history in my opinion. Our national program is corrupt, failing, and amateur to the core, and Tyler represents our only beacon for professionalism and ambition.

Ardron playing for a NZ franchise and a win over Chile in the same weekend. The glory days are back for Canada. :p

In all seriousness although Ardron is a good player (having graced the Pro14 ;) ) do you think your union pays the salary of players when they get a placement like this? I always find it a little strange how North American players seem to get a much greater chance of exposure in a top Anglophone league than a player of comparable quality / experience from any other Tier 2 country.

Moala disappears when up against good opposition same with a lot of the Blues players

I dont think we have ever seen the best of Moala at the blues, maybe a symptom of the fact that the blues have not had a settled top quality 10 in what? A decade? And Moala hasn't had a settled midfield combination since francis saili and charlies piutau were at the blues. SBW has had a very disrupted time since he joined the blues due to injuries.
I think we would have seen the best of Moala if he was at a difference franchise. Imagine Moala outside Cruden and teaming up with ALB or Ngatai, or in a similar situation at the Canes or Crusaders... Yet he has been very loyal to the blues and even made the All Blacks, despite the blues lack of quality 9-10 hurting his chances more than most other positions.

Missing tackles and poor passing from him isn't a symptom of not having a settled 10, it's just he doesn't have the ability to go any further. I get what you're saying, but it's kinda making excuses for him when he should be a standout among bad eggs if his quality really is as good as you think

Every man and their dogs had an All Black call up too, we had something like 50 selections last year.

agree about akira. so close and yet so far. does some dynamic amazin stuf then disappears for minutes. runs too high. waiting for someone to smash him .
pulu i agree isnt a thinking half back. needs to manage the game better. awesome physicality but you have to have brains in HB else you'll run yourself to a standstill

Latest posts