• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

Hammersley will be off to Sale from what I understand.
Goneva is staying in the prem.

Rumours wise hearing
McGuigan also sounds like he is certainly off.
Jonny Williams off.
Adam Radwan potentially off.
Williams needs to go amd fond a club where he can get decent game time as he has loads of potebtial.

1 year on - reviving an old thread but applying it to now.

These are my initial thoughts for the English prem 2019/2020 based on what we've seen this season and in transfer market so far.

Relegation contenders:

Bristol - Surprised most people this year with some great results, but can they continue that next season? Nathan Hughes and Dave Attwood are good additions for them, but I think they are going to need to bring in a few more to build on what they've achieved this season. Still look a bit vulnerable for me. Second season syndrome might find them out unless they can get a few more experienced prem faces through the door. Definitely in with a chance of staying up again, but it will be tough for them.
Worcester - For me they are the stand-out relegation favourites for next season at this moment in time. They've had some good moments, don't get me wrong, but they just have zero consistency and poor discipline in games. They seem to be extremely error prone as well, particularly in the opposition 22. You have to wonder about the level of coaching in place at the club and I have worries unless these issues are resolved that it could cost them dearly next season. With Ben Teo, Bryce Heem, Josh Adams, Jack Singleton, Gareth Milasinovich and Simon Kerrod all leaving them in the summer, they also have a big recruitment job on their hands this summer. Can't see it happening for them right now.

Outside chance of relegation:

Wasps - For me Wasps will struggle next season looking at the long list of players leaving them. I don't think they'll go down, but they will certainly be down the bottom end of the league unless they can bring in replacements. There's always Sale's academy available to them I guess! Huge summer ahead which will make or break them imo. Losing that amount of first team players means they virtually have to bring in a whole new squad.
Leicester - As a Saints fan, I have really enjoyed this season- particularly our late surge into play-off contention at the expense of Leicester's rotten form - it's been brilliant!
There are serious issues at Tigers right now, which stem from board level and coaching. You have to wonder how players of the calibre of Johnny May, Tuilagi, George Ford, Kyle Eastmond, Ben Youngs and Ellis Genge have all been so so poor by their own standards. I think unless the clear and obvious issues up above are resolved, Tigers could struggle again next season. Looking at them on paper you scratch your head in disbelief really, but this is why we love Rugby! You are only as good as your last game, and confidence/momentum are everything. It wouldn't surprise me if I am totally wrong and Tigers end up finishing in the top 6 next year, they certainly have the ability, but as of now, for me they will be nearer the bottom end of the league again unless issues behind the scenes are addressed properly. For Tigers it isn't a player problem, it's a management problem.

Top 6 contenders:

Bath - Bit of a topsy-turvy year for them; been brilliant in some games and diabolical in others. I still think they've got a decent pack, even with Attwood going to Bristol and Joseph out of contract in the summer. No big signings announced yet, so looks like it might be more of the same next year. If they can find some consistency and refereeing decisions keep going their way, will definitely challenge for the top 6 again next season. Freddie Burns is such an underrated fly half imo and can control a game when he's in the mood.
Gloucester - What a season Gloucester have had, and not many would have called it after losing players like Johnny May and Ross Moriarty. Ackermann has worked wonders with the team, and they have been playing some awesome stuff this season. Cipriani has easily been the signing of the season and has really excelled in particular. They are a team that is great to watch.
Despite this season's successes, they will have a forwards issue next year as the likes of Denman and McAllister leave, and only academy promotions having been announced so far. if they make signings in key forward areas I think they will challenge for top 4 again, but at this moment in time, I'm not so sure. Will be interesting to see whether they can sustain this form in the long term, or whether this season has just been a flash in the pan for them. I fear it may be the latter.
London Irish - Have done good business already and if they continue their momentum from the championship this season, they'll do very well next year. A decent pack with more signings imminent and good coaching staff. Their academy is also as good as ever. Fancy them to stay up this time. If they can bury the ghosts of the past and play with the intensity they have, I can see them challenging for the top 6.

Play-off contenders:

Northampton Saints
- COYS! Solid finish to our season this year. New boss Chris Boyd has really started putting his plans into fruition, playing a brand of powerful, attacking rugby - plenty of tries! We are still weak defensively despite this, and defence coaching is clearly lacking. If we can turn this round I believe we'll be right up there next season. With both Franks brothers, if fit, potentially in the scrum for us next season, together with some fantastic academy prospects coming through our ranks, we've got a cracking chance next season. Great time to be a Saint and a long way away from the nightmare that was the start of the season. Rumours that the club are also in talks with Jonathan Joseph and hopefully more signings to come.
Sale - 4 solid signings announced already. Du Preez and De Jager in particular are marquee. After a terrible start to the season, they've turned it around to challenge for the top 6 and I think if they can get off to a good start next season they will definitely be right up there again. Strong squad with good potential, On their day they can beat anybody, but equally on their day they can lose to anybody. If they can iron that out and be a bit more consistent they will definitely mount a serious challenge for the play-offs next season in my book.
Harlequins - In my view it will be harsh if Quins don't get top 4 this year - they've been more consistent than us and are a pragmatic and intelligent side. They rarely make mistakes and their defence has been the cornerstone of their season.
Very small margins have cost them points otherwise it would have been in the bag a while ago.
Some decent players coming through the door at Twickenham Stoop this summer such as Scott Baldwin and Argentinian duo Botta/Landajo from Jaguares. Can see them challenging for top 4 again next season.

Championship contenders:

Exeter and Saracens

Can't look past either of these two still for next season. They are the top two sides in the league by a country mile and, looking at the players that are coming in for both clubs in the summer, this looks like it will continue again next year.
I still think Sarries have the edge as their squad depth is frightening.
Be hugely surprised if one of these two don't win the prem this season or next.

1 year on - reviving an old thread but applying it to now.

These are my initial thoughts for the English prem 2019/2020 based on what we've seen this season and in transfer market so far.

Relegation contenders:

Bristol - Surprised most people this year with some great results, but can they continue that next season? Nathan Hughes and Dave Attwood are good additions for them, but I think they are going to need to bring in a few more to build on what they've achieved this season. Still look a bit vulnerable for me. Second season syndrome might find them out unless they can get a few more experienced prem faces through the door. Definitely in with a chance of staying up again, but it will be tough for them.
Worcester - For me they are the stand-out relegation favourites for next season at this moment in time. They've had some good moments, don't get me wrong, but they just have zero consistency and poor discipline in games. They seem to be extremely error prone as well, particularly in the opposition 22. You have to wonder about the level of coaching in place at the club and I have worries unless these issues are resolved that it could cost them dearly next season. With Ben Teo, Bryce Heem, Josh Adams, Jack Singleton, Gareth Milasinovich and Simon Kerrod all leaving them in the summer, they also have a big recruitment job on their hands this summer. Can't see it happening for them right now.

Outside chance of relegation:

Wasps - For me Wasps will struggle next season looking at the long list of players leaving them. I don't think they'll go down, but they will certainly be down the bottom end of the league unless they can bring in replacements. There's always Sale's academy available to them I guess! Huge summer ahead which will make or break them imo. Losing that amount of first team players means they virtually have to bring in a whole new squad.
Leicester - As a Saints fan, I have really enjoyed this season- particularly our late surge into play-off contention at the expense of Leicester's rotten form - it's been brilliant!
There are serious issues at Tigers right now, which stem from board level and coaching. You have to wonder how players of the calibre of Johnny May, Tuilagi, George Ford, Kyle Eastmond, Ben Youngs and Ellis Genge have all been so so poor by their own standards. I think unless the clear and obvious issues up above are resolved, Tigers could struggle again next season. Looking at them on paper you scratch your head in disbelief really, but this is why we love Rugby! You are only as good as your last game, and confidence/momentum are everything. It wouldn't surprise me if I am totally wrong and Tigers end up finishing in the top 6 next year, they certainly have the ability, but as of now, for me they will be nearer the bottom end of the league again unless issues behind the scenes are addressed properly. For Tigers it isn't a player problem, it's a management problem.

Top 6 contenders:

Bath - Bit of a topsy-turvy year for them; been brilliant in some games and diabolical in others. I still think they've got a decent pack, even with Attwood going to Bristol and Joseph out of contract in the summer. No big signings announced yet, so looks like it might be more of the same next year. If they can find some consistency and refereeing decisions keep going their way, will definitely challenge for the top 6 again next season. Freddie Burns is such an underrated fly half imo and can control a game when he's in the mood.
Gloucester - What a season Gloucester have had, and not many would have called it after losing players like Johnny May and Ross Moriarty. Ackermann has worked wonders with the team, and they have been playing some awesome stuff this season. Cipriani has easily been the signing of the season and has really excelled in particular. They are a team that is great to watch.
Despite this season's successes, they will have a forwards issue next year as the likes of Denman and McAllister leave, and only academy promotions having been announced so far. if they make signings in key forward areas I think they will challenge for top 4 again, but at this moment in time, I'm not so sure. Will be interesting to see whether they can sustain this form in the long term, or whether this season has just been a flash in the pan for them. I fear it may be the latter.
London Irish - Have done good business already and if they continue their momentum from the championship this season, they'll do very well next year. A decent pack with more signings imminent and good coaching staff. Their academy is also as good as ever. Fancy them to stay up this time. If they can bury the ghosts of the past and play with the intensity they have, I can see them challenging for the top 6.

Play-off contenders:

Northampton Saints
- COYS! Solid finish to our season this year. New boss Chris Boyd has really started putting his plans into fruition, playing a brand of powerful, attacking rugby - plenty of tries! We are still weak defensively despite this, and defence coaching is clearly lacking. If we can turn this round I believe we'll be right up there next season. With both Franks brothers, if fit, potentially in the scrum for us next season, together with some fantastic academy prospects coming through our ranks, we've got a cracking chance next season. Great time to be a Saint and a long way away from the nightmare that was the start of the season. Rumours that the club are also in talks with Jonathan Joseph and hopefully more signings to come.
Sale - 4 solid signings announced already. Du Preez and De Jager in particular are marquee. After a terrible start to the season, they've turned it around to challenge for the top 6 and I think if they can get off to a good start next season they will definitely be right up there again. Strong squad with good potential, On their day they can beat anybody, but equally on their day they can lose to anybody. If they can iron that out and be a bit more consistent they will definitely mount a serious challenge for the play-offs next season in my book.
Harlequins - In my view it will be harsh if Quins don't get top 4 this year - they've been more consistent than us and are a pragmatic and intelligent side. They rarely make mistakes and their defence has been the cornerstone of their season.
Very small margins have cost them points otherwise it would have been in the bag a while ago.
Some decent players coming through the door at Twickenham Stoop this summer such as Scott Baldwin and Argentinian duo Botta/Landajo from Jaguares. Can see them challenging for top 4 again next season.

Championship contenders:

Exeter and Saracens

Can't look past either of these two still for next season. They are the top two sides in the league by a country mile and, looking at the players that are coming in for both clubs in the summer, this looks like it will continue again next year.
I still think Sarries have the edge as their squad depth is frightening.
Be hugely surprised if one of these two don't win the prem this season or next.

Sale dodged a bullett with Jackson.
Personally don't think the hassle is worth it.

All it does it highlight the bad on both sides.
He was found to be not guilty so technically this is fine and the calls to boycott London irish by non rugby supporting Irish members of social media is interesting, some of the things defenders are saying are just :facepalm:

Naholo to London Irish

They're making some big boy signings

The likes of Sale and Irish making massive name signings is exciting.

BUT I do worry about how long term the clubs can hold on for.
Guess they are banking on CVC making the prem a lot more profitable in general.

Ring-fencing will 100% be coming in soon though.

We've got that Take That money, we'll be fine

Never Forget, that this Shine won't Last Forever and even though it has Relight Your Fire and you feel like you Rule The World remember Everything Changes These Days It Only Takes a Minute.
so have a bit of Patience and Pray your Back For Good

Hammersley will be off to Sale from what I understand.
Goneva is staying in the prem.

Rumours wise hearing
McGuigan also sounds like he is certainly off.
Jonny Williams off.
Adam Radwan potentially off.
Yeah Mcguigan has a relegation release clause as does Johnny Williams. i expect both to go. McGuigan we already have replacements for, no loss at all.
Williams well we shall see who replaces him.

Radwan has been linked with Quins. But by all accounts Dean is a huge fan and will not let Radwan go.

I (like many other Falcons fans) would be furious if Radwan left. He is an unreal talent who should have been given games this season!

The likes of Sale and Irish making massive name signings is exciting.

There were a couple of people on here the other saying they'd lost interest in the domestic game. Is the massive player turnover and loss of local identity part of it?

Surely easier to emotionally vest into the ABC club than outsiders who may only be there for a couple of years and quite likely underperform no matter how big their reputation / salary. For every Ayerza there are countless failures. Not picking on Tigers, this has applied to most Premiership clubs at times. One of the reasons why I'm totally indifferent to Warriors.

Original pro era Saracens went all galactico, but modern era Sarries have learned from that. Chiefs, similarly, have been careful to keep a local core and been judicious in their signings.

Is there a backstory to that?
Seems weird to walk out one week before the end of the season

He's been trying to get out for a while.

I guess now that they're safe from relegation they've told him he can walk.

He hasn't been trying to get out for a while TBF to him.
He and Tigers agreed that once Tigers are safe he can join Rebels to make a push for the RWC squad early.

He was never trying to leave the club before safety was assured that was just JB getting his wires crossed/stirring.