• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Rugby Championship] Round 1: Argentina v New Zealand (20/07/2019)

well the devil is in the detail, while the AB's defense was over 90% pumas was under 60% which is insane and you would never expect a 16-20 scoreline from that.
the All Blacks broke tackles and got through the line almost constantly but basically bombed every chance they made, the two tries were an intercept and a quick tap with one pass close to the line.
symptoms to me that the attacking plan was working but the continuity just wasn't there. Kinda what you would expect for the first test of the year, fair to say its blow even what you would expect for the first test. That to me was the main talking point of the test, there are other things. I mean Ben Smith couldn't get hold of a high ball all night. I think you have to back him to put that behind him and be better next time. The kicking game wasn't great in the first 1/4. tough to figure exactly why that was it seemed Jodie was doing the bulk of the kicking, maybe the gameplan wasn't right or he just lacked the experience to get it right but we can learn from that as well.
I would also say that to me the AB's attack in set plays was attempting to be very flat and it just wasn't working. The link between Beauden and the midfield mostly failed. We did most of the damage when things were set and more open or broken play.
player performance wise
Maybe the most obvious thing was that Fifita had a howler, to me he just couldn't do anything right. 60min big minutes for him i think he bombed.
Cane and Savea were great in the first half, I think their effort over the whole 80 was pretty impressive. Couple of frustrating knock on's from Cane but his running looked really sharp and caused problems for the pumas.
Aaron smith was ok and made one critical tackle but when Weber came on the speed he cleared the ball was so noticeable compared to Smith. It didn't turn the match but it did help us get out of the crap we were in at the time, resulted in a couple of line breaks but eventually band handling wider out let us down again.
two bombed lineouts after coltman took the field put us under huge pressure, tough spot to come on but we need to get that better.
Angus's side of the scrum seemed to be going forward constantly but Ofa's wasn't or was going back. Ofa's mostly a tighthead it seems and this was a switch for him and at a glance it seems like it was a failed experiment.
Beauden well it was funny to see Stuff give him only 4.5 while he was the only player who was constantly threatening on attack and breaking the line, made a dead set try saving tackle when outnumbered and kicked the goals that low score seems completely unjustified. The misfiring attacked seemed more a function of general problems with the new gameplan happening everywhere. newshub gave him a much more realistic 8/10
Sevu was solid and looked to get involved when it seemed the ball would never find the wing otherwise.
Jordie didn't have a great day, it seems he is the player currently on a hiding to nothing by a big section of the NZ public, some of the early kicks then the kick he went over the 22, sure not great, but he was heavenly involved, was first receiver a lot. It seemed a lot of the new gameplan revolved around him and it just didn't quite hit the spot. But that will improve with time and polish.
As stated Ben Smith couldn't hit a high ball to save himself but on the other hand he offered a lot on attack and looked like slicing things open with every touch, it just happened that passes never seemed to stick... anywhere.

Great post Larksea. Great breakdown of the ABs performance. I thought Beauden was fantastic on defense in the wider channels, something unique that he offers compared to Mo'unga. He also took gaps himself that others can't or won't. I'm usually critical of his inability to sort out opposition linespeed but I thought he was inspiring.

My boy ALB made it back to back shockers IMO (including his playoff game v Jaguares). I expect better, but it seems like he hit his peak mid-Super Rugby and gassed himself. He's going to relegate himself to a bench AB if he doesn't bounce back.

Savea is certainly the hardest man in rugby to bring down. He and Cane have to be on the field together one way or another.

Jordie has been mistake prone every game I've watched him save the odd blowout victory.

sanchez failed this time. (he gave the pass that was intercepted) and faild a very simple penalty wich could probably got us the victory cos there where a few penalties at the end so we could have won it by 2. instead of having to go for the line out.
figallo did add some stability to the scrum. creevy got a shoulder injurie. pumas pushed pretty hard in the second but fell short as we all knew will happen.

sanchez failed this time. (he gave the pass that was intercepted) and faild a very simple penalty wich could probably got us the victory cos there where a few penalties at the end so we could have won it by 2. instead of having to go for the line out.
figallo did add some stability to the scrum. creevy got a shoulder injurie. pumas pushed pretty hard in the second but fell short as we all knew will happen.
Yeah Sanchez has lost it, that's what going to Europe will do. His body shape has even changed

no its not about size, its about getting balance in your loose forwards. we see it with the pooper experiment, aussies play pockcok and hooper together because they are two of their best players and they at times lack a genuine world class 6 or 8 but in doing so they sacrifice having a balanced back row and will lack height and size against opposition packs. In NZ We have world class 6 and 8 options. 8 is a very important lineout option for NZ. As I said, it will work fine for most tests and test series but in WC finals It's a really bad idea, the only posative I can see is if Read is injured in a WC finals game and Savea has to come off the bench. It will be good that he has some experience. But I dont think he should be seen as a genuine test 8, he just isn't.
We have world class 6 options?

Latest posts