• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2019 Six Nations] England Squad

Going forward I'd leave today's starting 15 unchanged, other than Itoje in for Lawes and Nowell in for Ashton. Maybe Underhill would be better than Wilson; both have their pros and cons but I'd leave Underhill on the bench purely because I wouldn't change the current winning formula. On the bench I'd make a few changes:
Hartley in for LCD - LCD's better in open play but hasn't done enough to make his poor set piece worth the risk.
Genge in for Moon - he's just a superior all-round player, although Moon has always looked solid in an England shirt and is a solid backup.
I'd keep Cole - he did more in today's cameo than Williams has done.
Lawes and Underhill at 19 and 20.
Robson and Ford at 21 and 22.
Cokonasiga in at 23 for his impact.

As a Leicester supporter, Cole is a penalty machine.

Who starts if Mako is out?

I think I'd start Moon and bring Genge off the bench

If Mako is out I think it'll be a blessing in disguise. Both Genge and Moon need to get a lot of game time between now and the RWC.

Well....Wales? They're the next game.

Moon is our strongest scrummager, and Samson Lee is a very good tighthead/Moon will know Francis better than he knows himself.

I can get behind that, Moon to start with Genge against tired legs.

So where does JJ fit in to this team? Slade finally starting to show his worth and seems to work well with manu, he's get a good left boot and passing game and is good in defence, so JJ will have to earn his place back.

He'll definitely have to prove he's worth his place but I think he'll overtake Slade if he can get back to form.
I rate Slade and he's playing really well but a fit and on form JJ is truly world class, arguably the best in his position.
If that does happen then I could see Slade dropping to #22 and Ford dropping out (Farrell playing the full 80 even when 30+ points up at home doesn't bode well for Ford, even if Farrell did slide out to 12)

He'll definitely have to prove he's worth his place but I think he'll overtake Slade if he can get back to form.
I rate Slade and he's playing really well but a fit and on form JJ is truly world class, arguably the best in his position.
If that does happen then I could see Slade dropping to #22 and Ford dropping out (Farrell playing the full 80 even when 30+ points up at home doesn't bode well for Ford, even if Farrell did slide out to 12)
While I that's probably the way to get the best players in the 23, I really don't think Slade can be the team's only 10 cover. He can hardly function at 12 at international level; 10 would be disastrous.

While I that's probably the way to get the best players in the 23, I really don't think Slade can be the team's only 10 cover. He can hardly function at 12 at international level; 10 would be disastrous.
True enough, but I could see Jones going for it. Farrell is gonna play the full 80 regardless, only an injury is seeing him replaced, whereas Jones often makes centre subs.

Those are pretty big "IF"s for JJ. Before his injury he was still defensively sound, but his attacking game had dropped off.

Slade's passing and kicking game seems to complement Manu really well. I don't think JJ would as much and that's always assuming that he can get back to proper form and fitness in the first place. Of course if Manu gets hurt all bets are off. But as we stand, we've got a new partnership that's gelling well and could get much better. JJ may just have to be patient.

Assuming eventual form / fitness, where will Watson fit into all this? My instinct is 15 with May and Joe on the wings and Daly on the bench.

Youngs, Faz, May, Manu, Slade, Joe, Watson. On paper that's got the lot.

Those are pretty big "IF"s for JJ. Before his injury he was still defensively sound, but his attacking game had dropped off.

Slade's passing and kicking game seems to complement Manu really well. I don't think JJ would as much and that's always assuming that he can get back to proper form and fitness in the first place. Of course if Manu gets hurt all bets are off. But as we stand, we've got a new partnership that's gelling well and could get much better. JJ may just have to be patient.

Assuming eventual form / fitness, where will Watson fit into all this? My instinct is 15 with May and Joe on the wings and Daly on the bench.

Youngs, Faz, May, Manu, Slade, Joe, Watson. On paper that's got the lot.
I can't see Watson working his way back in before the World Cup. He's been out for a very long time now and I can't see him reaching good enough form to displace the incumbents. His form pre-injury wouldn't justify him replacing May, Daly, Nowell or an in form Joe.

Aye, absolutely - especially as he's only got a couple of months to prove himself before the world cup.
It's more a statement on his potential than what's going to happen.

Presumably Watson will fight it out for 11/15 with Nowell/Daly, though that's even more hypothetical seeing as he's not played in a year and still isn't back yet

Who do you select for the Wales match?

Cokanasiga for Ashton (if fit enough); JJ & Genge on the bench. I'd rather Clifford / Mercer than Hughes; but we all know that Eddie just disagrees, so it seems pointless saying it. I'd rather Hughes than Shields however.

He's beginning to find his feet at FB, but I cant see Wales looking at our backline and deciding that our best player is our weak link. At some point, someone's going to do to Daly what we did to Henshaw & Huget. It worries me, but I'd rather it happen now than during the RWC. So I'm not going to suggest changing him this time; we're committed to him back there, so he needs to get minutes in the position.

So, fitness allowing:
Mako, George, Sinckler
Lawes, Kruis
Wilson, Billy, Curry

Youngs, Farrell
Tuilagi, Slade
May, Daly, Cokanasiga

Genge, LCD, Cole, Launchbury, Hughes
Robson, Ford, Joseph.

The forwards speak for themselves. I'd rather Mercer/Clifford than Hughes, but Eddie just disagrees, and I'd rather Hughes than Shields!
On form, Manu and JJ are both properly world class centres; Slade has the talent to get there. The idea of selecting any 2 from those 3 is the stuff of wet dreams. My selection is harsh on Nowell, who's done nothing to deserve dropping, I just want to get international minutes into Coka; whilst I see Nowell as a starter or nothing (unless/until he becomes a genuine "utility back" option - if only he'd spent the last 5 years playing OC &/ FB!).

In terms of keeping 1 eye on injury cover; 12 is covered by Faz/Slade; 13 by JJ/Manu; Wing by JJ; FB by Slade.

Last edited:
The cautious part of me says save Big Joe C for Italy and Scotland, but then now if as good a time as ever to see what he is made of in a big test match, with a grand slam on the line.

The cautious part of me says save Big Joe C for Italy and Scotland, but then now if as good a time as ever to see what he is made of in a big test match, with a grand slam on the line.
Yup, if JC is going to Japan, he needs as many minutes on the pitch as possible.
I do, however, use your logic for Dan Robson

Agree with the cautious option. Put Nowell back on the right wing and leave the rest well alone. JJ for sub over Ashton if 100%. Think Wales will adopt and adapt our kicking game

My guess is the Ireland side but with the injury swaps from last week,

Wales away isn't the time to rock the boat, especially with Italy on the horizon.

Its all well and good wanting to get players game time (and I do agree Genge and Robson need as much as possible) however the team in general need more time together.

The backrow and backline units have only had a couple of games together in these combos, we need them to be completely fluid together going into the world cup

Latest posts