• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2019 Super Rugby Kits

THE SUPERHERO JERSEYS ARE A COMPLETE DESGRACE PLEASE DROP THEM FOR EVER. THE CAPTAIN AMERICA BEEING THE MOST ANNOYNG
REALY EMBARASING

No they're not.

Just because you have a personal affliction about it, doesn't mean everyone else finds it annoying.

The idea of the kits are to attract more people to the stadiums and have them dress up too, and this past weekend it worked very well at Loftus. it was the first time in a very long time that I saw so many people at the stadium.

I think it's a MARVEL-lous idea.

No they're not.

Just because you have a personal affliction about it, doesn't mean everyone else finds it annoying.

The idea of the kits are to attract more people to the stadiums and have them dress up too, and this past weekend it worked very well at Loftus. it was the first time in a very long time that I saw so many people at the stadium.

Can you buy them in the UK?

I think some work and some don't. Captain america on an african rugby jersey donest really work.
Don't they have other super heroes to work with?

Hulk for canberra worked, connacht's green lantern works.
Queensland Reds with something like flash would work.

Not very fond of spider man lions to be honest.

I think some work and some don't. Captain america on an african rugby jersey donest really work.

Don't know if this was meant to be racist, but it sounds a bit racist...

The captain america kit on the Bulls mesh well with their normal kit so I think they picked it very smartly...

Can't use a Hulk kit when none of the SA teams have any green in their kits ever... Well except for the Springboks of course.

No they're not.

come on man do you really think its because of the kits?? of course it only my opinion. and every one can have their own, i was expersing mine. i just hate the whole idea
first cos thers nothing more distant to rugby spirit than superheroes, again my opinion, rugby used to be more about self emprovement than super power. its to achieve over your possibilities and that is what i love of it. this super hero bs is for soccer stars. For instance there´s no name in rugby shirts cos its not about the name, its about how you fit in a team where you give yourself to your partners. what rol you play in a team. just think its the wrong message.
agree with cruz cos i f..... hate captain america and yes seeing an african side using the colors and motives of the american flag is horrible. its the case of cultural appropiation gone wrong.

Don't know if this was meant to be racist, but it sounds a bit racist...
You, YOU, out of all the people in this forum, calling me racist. Precious.
We should place that phrase next to merriam webster's definition of irony.

I hate to be cornered, but since it is a delicate subject, i see as being forced to explain myself: the reason i thought Captain America doesnt work is, newsflash, because the bulls aren't an american team.
I'd have the same objection to the sunwolves using Asterix.

Since we're on the subject, i have to ask: have you finally coped with the fact that Elton Jantjies skin has a bit more melanin than yours? Does his appearance still make you question him as a FH?
I'm sure you haven't forgotten that thread.

Next time you see something that you perceive as racist from me, kindly use one of these two approaches: a) ask me why i posted that and i'll give you some context that, i hope, will clear your doubt. b) explain yourself as to why you think i am being racist. Be specific.
I don't take those accusations lightly and neither should you.

The captain america kit on the Bulls mesh well with their normal kit so I think they picked it very smartly...
I'm sure captain america is the only super hero conceived who's costume is mostly blue. Ever.

Can't use a Hulk kit when none of the SA teams have any green in their kits ever.
That wasn't my point. What's wrong with you today?
I was using it as an example of fit, not as an example of something that should be used by SA SR teams.

I think you guys complaining about the Super hero jerseys are completely missing the point.
First and foremost they said its for this purpose "The heroes of South African rugby are ready to unleash this as they use their power for good and tackle cancer in a partnership with the CHOC Childhood Cancer Foundation."
Have you seen at these child cancer hospitals sometimes they dress up as superheroes while washing the windows outside to give the kids that extra bit of dedication.

Then secondly get more people to the stadiums, its a partnership with Marvel, so when choosing the jerseys they obviously only had a choice of heroes from this cinematic universe.

Now, im also against cultural imperialism, and i did think about that when looking at the captain America jersey, i noticed though that they left out the star. But its just the Bulls with that jersey and its really not as bad as you are making it out, its a positive move for a good cause and at the same time to improve the state of rugby in SA.

It really is not cultural appropriation, If the Bulls ran out singing the American anthem and thanking Iraqi war veterans then i would start pointing fingers. We dont have our own african heroes that is as recognisable to kids as the Marvel universe.

Can you buy them in the UK?
Check on Lovell, I saw some of them there.

Really don't understand the hate towards the Marvel jerseys, but I see it's mostly from non Africans. Most South Africans think it's a great idea.

Now, im also against cultural imperialism, and i did think about that when looking at the captain America jersey, i noticed though that they left out the star. But its just the Bulls with that jersey and its really not as bad as you are making it out,

Just a clarification on the above, the star is on the shirt, middle of the chest above the Vodafone sign. (Can be seen in Bull's profile picture, above my post)

come on man do you really think its because of the kits?? of course it only my opinion. and every one can have their own, i was expersing mine. i just hate the whole idea
first cos thers nothing more distant to rugby spirit than superheroes, again my opinion, rugby used to be more about self emprovement than super power. its to achieve over your possibilities and that is what i love of it. this super hero bs is for soccer stars. For instance there´s no name in rugby shirts cos its not about the name, its about how you fit in a team where you give yourself to your partners. what rol you play in a team. just think its the wrong message.
agree with cruz cos i f..... hate captain america and yes seeing an african side using the colors and motives of the american flag is horrible. its the case of cultural appropiation gone wrong.

Perhaps you should look at the marketing strategy surrounding these kits. Everything about this, is to get the kids involved. Here's the video that's been showing on our tv's:

Kids don't make the political connotation you or cruz are trying to make. They look up to their rugby players as role models, just like they are heroes and is a signal of hope. This has nothing to do with being american or anything like that. Plus there is a charity involved where funds are being raised towards children with cancer.

You, YOU, out of all the people in this forum, calling me racist. Precious.
We should place that phrase next to merriam webster's definition of irony.

I hate to be cornered, but since it is a delicate subject, i see as being forced to explain myself: the reason i thought Captain America doesnt work is, newsflash, because the bulls aren't an american team.
I'd have the same objection to the sunwolves using Asterix.

Since we're on the subject, i have to ask: have you finally coped with the fact that Elton Jantjies skin has a bit more melanin than yours? Does his appearance still make you question him as a FH?
I'm sure you haven't forgotten that thread.

Next time you see something that you perceive as racist from me, kindly use one of these two approaches: a) ask me why i posted that and i'll give you some context that, i hope, will clear your doubt. b) explain yourself as to why you think i am being racist. Be specific.
I don't take those accusations lightly and neither should you.

I'm sure captain america is the only super hero conceived who's costume is mostly blue. Ever.

That wasn't my point. What's wrong with you today?
I was using it as an example of fit, not as an example of something that should be used by SA SR teams.

That's some serious accusations you're making here, and I wouldn't be surprised if this post or the previous post will be reported.

These super heroes that were picked were because Marvel is officially a partner in this venture, and only certain heroes were given for selection. And with Spider-man and the Avengers films coming out this year DURING the Super Rugby tournament it's pretty damn obvious why these specific heroes were chosen. There wouldn't have been any method to the madness in having the Bulls wear the Yellow and black X-men kit, but they are representing Beast from the X-men franchise.

Neither would it have made sense for the Lions to wear a deadpool costume, because the Deadpool movies got a rather high age restriction rating in SA, and most kids didn't get to watch it.

Should I go on?

That's some serious accusations you're making here,
So you, a mod, calling me a racist without a shred of evidence is not a serious accusation? Not only that, but when i asked for specifics you dodged the question.
What you've done is a textbook kafka trap. You accuse someone and dont tell him what rule he broke nor how, nor why.

When you accuse someone you have to be specific enough about the accusation for the one being accused to understand what he is being accused of and why he is being accused. Additionally, he should be given the space to defend himself against such accusation. You have done none of those.

And regarding the accusation, I merely asked you if you held the views you've stated in the past. If you are going to report me for it, it'd be expected for you to report all the people who called you out on that thread. And those who liked the post in which you were called out.
Otherwise, you'd be quite the hypocrite.

I wouldn't be surprised if this post or the previous post will be reported.
I'm trembling in fear.

So you, a mod, calling me a racist without a shred of evidence is not a serious accusation? Not only that, but when i asked for specifics you dodged the question.
What you've done is a textbook kafka trap. You accuse someone and dont tell him what rule he broke nor how, nor why.

When you accuse someone you have to be specific enough about the accusation for the one being accused to understand what he is being accused of and why he is being accused. Additionally, he should be given the space to defend himself against such accusation. You have done none of those.

And regarding the accusation, I merely asked you if you held the views you've stated in the past. If you are going to report me for it, it'd be expected for you to report all the people who called you out on that thread. And those who liked the post in which you were called out.
Otherwise, you'd be quite the hypocrite.

I'm trembling in fear.

Ugh! I didn't say you were racist, I said that it sounds a bit racist...

Massive difference.

And if your post is being reported then I will refer it to the other mods for judgement.

The connotation of your post made it seem like Captain America might be a bit pale to be featured on an african player. Not South African, but African, meaning someone of with a dark skin.

The connotation of your post made it seem like Captain America might be a bit pale to be featured on an african player.
You've just demonstrated beyond any doubt whose head is filled with racist crap.
Thanks for proving my point.

My connotation had to do solely with the name of the super hero (directly associated with one and only one country).
The fact you interpreted it as it having to do with the race of the person under the costume/jersey speaks volumes, and not of me.

I even explained it using the example of Asterix (as french a cartoon as you can get) but you still pushed. A simple "oops, my bad. I misinterpreted your post, sorry" would have sufficed.

And if your post is being reported then I will refer it to the other mods for judgement.
People have called you out on your racism, sorry, on "post of yours that sounded a bit racist" and you're still a mod.
If that's the standard i'm pretty sure i'm safe.

I can't understand you. I genuinely cant. I know we dont see eye to eye on a lot of things, but you know ive given you credit when i though you deserved it, so i think i'm credible enough to be believable when i tell you you are way, WAY off the mark here.

The only thing racist in this thread is the sick twisted interpreation of my post. Nothing more.

I think you guys complaining about the Super hero jerseys are completely missing the point.
First and foremost they said its for this purpose "The heroes of South African rugby are ready to unleash this as they use their power for good and tackle cancer in a partnership with the CHOC Childhood Cancer Foundation."
Have you seen at these child cancer hospitals sometimes they dress up as superheroes while washing the windows outside to give the kids that extra bit of dedication.

Then secondly get more people to the stadiums, its a partnership with Marvel, so when choosing the jerseys they obviously only had a choice of heroes from this cinematic universe.

Now, im also against cultural imperialism, and i did think about that when looking at the captain America jersey, i noticed though that they left out the star. But its just the Bulls with that jersey and its really not as bad as you are making it out, its a positive move for a good cause and at the same time to improve the state of rugby in SA.

It really is not cultural appropriation, If the Bulls ran out singing the American anthem and thanking Iraqi war veterans then i would start pointing fingers. We dont have our own african heroes that is as recognisable to kids as the Marvel universe.

yes they also dress as clowns for the ill kids... dont think its about the kids. you know that is about money! and that helping the kids its the smaler part of it. this its just another marketing bull s,,,, if this crap is getting more people to the stadiums... poor rugby its doomed.

since profesionalism, little by little they are turnig the sport into a mere show. i know that many here like it that way.
personaly (and i dont intend to change your mind but just say what i think) i dont. i hate cheer leaders, that ******* music they play in the stadiums, like while the hoocker is getting ready to throw the line out, they will play 10 seconds of "we are the champions" maximun volume. how stupid is that.!! it kills ambience.
no one else hates this ??? i feel so lonely!!
it is for all this **** that i been at the stadium for the jags only once. the " show" part of it attempts directly to what i was looking for in the first place. the music was so loud during half time that i could barely speak to the person i went with.

The star is in fact on the bull´s chest kit, right in the midle.! captain america for instance stands for a lot of values that i dont share and i dont think belong in a rugby field. its propaganda actually. militarist, imperialist propaganda.
For the rest of the super heroes its like i said before and no one aswered or read, are models of lonely rangers perople who are "special" and superpowerful and have the "will" to protect us normal, powerles people.
the idea of people that can`t defend demselves and a need super saver is rather facist imo. its not rare that they are thrieving, there´s literally a ton of movies, series, toys, clothes, and all sorts of crap about them in a time where facism is on the rise. Bolsonaro, duque, trump, brexit, racism xenophobia etc.
this ideas, fantacies about super power are not the right message for kids. rugby has the right message for kids. team work, self emprovement honor etc.

i am not blaming these things on the superheros of course. its the other way arround. just think i had enough of them. they sturated culture lately and i dont want that mixed with rugby. wich i think it is a very democratic game or it used to be, but still, the enphasis is on the team, not the individual, the human effort, the caracter against adversity. what adversity you are gonna face if you have a super power? theres no such thing as a powerfull hero.
a hero is someone that overcomes adversity therefore it has LESS power than his opponent. just the opposite of seeing superman kick the bank robbers ass.
i hope i made myserlf clear it`s hard do this in english.
i wish you all the best, im just fed up of this superhero culture. its not inocent, its no coincidence, they sell a way of life, they sell ultraviolence, they naturalize the existance of super power and abuse. iron man is clearly a megalomaiac abuser. let´s face its political . and @TRF_heineken its worst for kids that can`t ovbiously do the political connotation they just absorve this negative values as natural unquestionable truth

Last edited:
Two things:
As a fan of super hero movies I can say categorically that Captain America does not stand for militarist, or imperialist views, quite the opposite. Captain America is about doing the right thing even if it goes against your nation, in his second film he takes down a branch of the US military because they decide they are going to "take out terrorists threats before they happen." his whole ethos goes against imperialism and militarism. Maybe the original comics during the second world war were like that (and everyone was spewing out propaganda in those days) but the character has been completely re-branded you really need to know a little bit about the character before you can comment on his values.
As for superheroes in general selling ultra-violence I think this is a misrepresentation of the genre, yes they are action movies with action scenes in them (like many action movies before them) but none of the messages in the films are "violence is good" or "solve your problems with violence" quite the opposite, violent characters are frequently portrayed as evil and the "good" guys frequently attempt to find methods other than committing violence to solve their problems, if you have a problem with super hero movies you should have a problem with pretty much any action movie ever made, where the problems are resolved with violence, like sci-fi/fantasy/Westerns/Cop Shows/Historical Dramas/Giant Robot movies you name it.
Anyway I know this makes me sound like the nerd I am, but those are the facts.

Secondly with regards to the problem with making rugby a "mere show", the bottom line is the entertainment landscape has completely changed in recent years. 10-15 years ago when the rugby was on in South Africa you could literally watch nothing else. It was the event of the weekend, and everyone was excited about it for days. These days with streaming/games/movies/youtube/social media at our finger tips, coming through everyday devices like cell phones that people have in their pockets, kids are literally flooded with entertainment from all sides, it's an instant gratification over-load. If rugby wants to compete with modern forms of media it has to adapt to survive, this means constant updates on stars and club news on social media, an emphasis on fantasy sports, turning players into celebrities with big personalities, and yes big gaudy stunts like kitting your teams out in super hero jerseys.

It's no use wishing for rugby to be like it used to be, we have to take the world as it is or rugby will die.

Last edited:
Two things:
As a fan of super hero movies I can say categorically that Captain America does not stand for militarist, or imperialist views, quite the opposite. Captain America is about doing the right thing even if it goes against your nation, in his second film he takes down a branch of the US military because they decide they are going to "take out terrorists threats before they happen." his whole ethos goes against imperialism and militarism. Maybe the original comics during the second world war were like that (and everyone was spewing out propaganda in those days) but the character has been completely re-branded you really need to know a little bit about the character before you can comment on his values.
As for superheroes in general selling ultra-violence I think this is a misrepresentation of the genre, yes they are action movies with action scenes in them (like many action movies before them) but none of the messages in the films are "violence is good" or "solve your problems with violence" quite the opposite, violent characters are frequently portrayed as evil and the "good" guys frequently attempt to find methods other than committing violence to solve their problems, if you have a problem with super hero movies you should have a problem with pretty much any action movie ever made, where the problems are resolved with violence, like sci-fi/fantasy/Westerns/Cop Shows/Historical Dramas/Giant Robot movies you name it.
Anyway I know this makes me sound like the nerd I am, but those are the facts.

Secondly with regards to the problem with making rugby a "mere show", the bottom line is the entertainment landscape has completely changed in recent years. 10-15 years ago when the rugby was on in South Africa you could literally watch nothing else. It was the event of the weekend, and everyone was excited about it for days. These days with streaming/games/movies/youtube/social media at our finger tips, coming through everyday devices like cell phones that people have in their pockets, kids are literally flooded with entertainment from all sides, it's an instant gratification over-load. If rugby wants to compete with modern forms of media it has to adapt to survive, this means constant updates on stars and club news on social media, an emphasis on fantasy sports, turning players into celebrities with big personalities, and yes big gaudy stunts like kitting your teams out in super hero jerseys.

It's no use wishing for rugby to be like it used to be, we have to take the world as it is or rugby will die.

...you might want to re watch "The Winter Soldier", he takes down "Shield" because they have been infiltrated by "Hydra" who wants to use use those ships to take over the world.....less a branch of the US military and more a Evil organisation bent on world domination

the super hero (Captain america) IS a soldier. therefore soldier propaganda. naturalize, justifys war, death domination. the deification of the soldier as all powerfull and owner of the moral right to call good or bad (facism). that is what the super hero / soldier implies . in the 40s and now.
if you change soldier for milloner works as well (batman and ironman)
but this is about the kids. as some one pointed out.
it`'s a matter of several científic experiments, the influence of superheroes on kids: they all conclude that the influence is negative. kids don't understand any of the moral " grays" you mention and they don't even understand the plot. they just undestand the ovbious violence. secondly it is proven that on these movies good guys are more violent than bad guys. solving problems by being more violent. this in terms of kids behavior translates as more violent behavior when exposed
of course the whole of Hollywood and its violence and opulence is mostly propaganda. being the superhero movies the epitome of it.(super it)
is clear that your view on them is biased as you say you are fan. but you have to acknowledge what kind of values they promote. IMO very contrary to the spirit of the game of rugby

the super hero (Captain america) IS a soldier. therefore soldier propaganda. naturalize, justifys war, death domination. the deification of the soldier as all powerfull and owner of the moral right to call good or bad (facism). that is what the super hero / soldier implies . in the 40s and now.
if you change soldier for milloner works as well (batman and ironman)
but this is about the kids. as some one pointed out.
it`'s a matter of several científic experiments, the influence of superheroes on kids: they all conclude that the influence is negative. kids don't understand any of the moral " grays" you mention and they don't even understand the plot. they just undestand the ovbious violence. secondly it is proven that on these movies good guys are more violent than bad guys. solving problems by being more violent. this in terms of kids behavior translates as more violent behavior when exposed
of course the whole of Hollywood and its violence and opulence is mostly propaganda. being the superhero movies the epitome of it.(super it)
is clear that your view on them is biased as you say you are fan. but you have to acknowledge what kind of values they promote. IMO very contrary to the spirit of the game of rugby

Man, I'm glad I'm not your kids. What a narrow viewpoint on the world.

When I was a kid I read comic books, and as an adult I love the Movies, even the bad ones.

When I see the kids wearing their comic book character outfits at the playground, I don't see violence or even bullying. I see Johnny in his spider-man suit trying to climb and swing. I see Pete in his batman costume trying to save his imaginary friend from falling of the Jungle Gym. I can go on and on and on. And at the end of the day, the kids had fun. They weren't exposed to the real dangers of the world for which they aren't ready yet. They were being kids, wanting to be a hero of some sort, being creative, energetic and HAVING FUN!!!

They really don't see the difference between Marvel/DC/Hasbro and if they are Sprider-man, Superman, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Barbie, Power Rangers, Bugs Bunny, Freakazoid or whoever else, they use these characters to have fun with.

It baffles my mind why someone would put a negative connotation on these jerseys and have some left-wing communistic viewpoint on a single charcter. So what if Captain America is a soldier? Spider-man is a photographer and scientist. You don't see anyone saying how his photos show hardship, death and decay and violence in a public forum? Or how scientists are killing people everyday with the discovery of splitting the atom, chemotherapy or whatever other beauty product that could kill you.

Or what about Black Panther? A monarch, a ruler of people, someone who is of a higher status than others in his own country and he dictates their lives. Why didn't you talk about him??

You singled out Captain America because of the soldier link he has?? Erm, all the super heroes are soldiers, fighting to save earth from immediate destruction. They just didn't go to Westpoint for training.

It's really sad.

But hey, if you have a problem with this, then just don't let your kids watch when the SA teams play against each other. Simple. Everyone happy.

...you might want to re watch "The Winter Soldier", he takes down "Shield" because they have been infiltrated by "Hydra" who wants to use use those ships to take over the world.....less a branch of the US military and more a Evil organisation bent on world domination
Yes but before they discovered out hydra was behind it all:

Nick Fury : These new long range precision guns can eliminate a thousand hostiles a minute. The satellites can read a terrorist's DNA before he steps outside his spider hole. We're gonna neutralize a lot of threats before they even happen.

Steve Rogers : I thought the punishment usually came *after* the crime.

Nick Fury : We can't afford to wait that long.

Steve Rogers : Who's "we"?

Nick Fury : After New York, I convinced the World Security Council we needed a quantum surge in threat analysis. For once we're way ahead of the curve.

Steve Rogers : By holding a gun at everyone on Earth and calling it protection.

Nick Fury : You know, I read those SSR files. Greatest generation? You guys did some nasty stuff.

Steve Rogers : Yeah, we compromised. Sometimes in ways that made us not sleep so well. But we did it so the people could be free. This isn't freedom, this is fear.

Nick Fury : S.H.I.E.L.D. takes the world as it is, not as we'd like it to be. And it's getting damn near past time for you to get with that program, Cap.

Steve Rogers : Don't hold your breath.

This is what I was refering too, Cap is not your classic jingoistic American.

I give up. reduce everything to "you are a commie" and go on pal. have no interest in change your opinion. just sleep in your thor pijama!
I spoke my mind wich is supported by literally tons of científic papers from comunist organizations such as this : https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...aw0Do9BMqx0TRO5eXL5GTiwC&ust=1551305776609391

don't worry about my kid hopefully at he young age of 8 chose to go to south Africa over Disney world, for which you gave me great advice.
we are going off topic.. let's go back to the kit's. I hate them, you like them, no big deal. just made our victory over the Bulls more tasty

Latest posts