• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] England Squad

I really wouldn't want to read anything I to that squad at all. It's missing everyone from the top 5 teams + Worcester
For the most part I agree but I think Marler's exclusion is pretty significant. Think it must mean he's called time on his England career again but has chosen to do it on the down low this time.

Curious to see what people's 23s would look like if we were actually going to play with this squad. Think I'd go for:
1. Genge
2. George
3. Heyes
4. Itoje
5. Ribbans
6. Dombrandt
7. Wilson
8. Vunipola
9. Mitchell
10. Ford
11. May
12. Farrell
13. Marchant
14. Thorley
15. Daly

16. Singelton
17. Vunipola
18. Kerrod
19. Moon
20. Ludlow
21. Youngs
22. Dingwall
23. Furbank

Back row's pretty heavyweight but they're the only 3 in there that I'd say are international quality. Furbank vs Earle for the 23 shirt could go either way but I think you'd need the 15 cover. The rest of it kind of picks itself I think.

Last edited:
For the most part I agree but I think Marler's exclusion is pretty significant. Think it must mean he's called time on his England career again but has chosen to do it on the down low this time.
I hope he has called time. Class player and has done alot for England and stepped up but he wont make the next WC or unlikly to. Let him go and enjoy playing club rugby and bring in Obano IMO or any other suggestions.

Not against Marler being in as long as he is 100% in though but any doubt and best he is not.

Yep. Pretty sure both Marler and Smith are injured. Joe's always been public when he's withdrawn from England duty and I haven't seen anything to suggest he's no longer available if selected.

As for the Saints omissions, Ludlam is self isolating: https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/...amp-fall-out-sale-situation-continues-2993003

Might be the same for Isiekwe?

This is just a training squad and it's without 6 teams (those currently in the play off spots + Sale and Worcester).

Steward, Loader and Hassell-Collins are unlucky to miss out IMO. Certainly more deserving than Crossdale and Earle.

Feels like a bit of a pointless squad but I guess a few may get some useful experience out of it.

Dombrandt for wing if his try yesterday is anything to go by.

I'm a massive saints fan but I must say we are continually underpowered in the pack. I won't be picking any saints locks any time soon to be honest.

I've always rated Ribbons but he might be a bit underpowered for a top international. Great player though.

FB_IMG_1602164013760.jpg

Time for EJ to grow a pair and put Ford at 7

Leicester obviously dominating the stats - presumably, that means that Leicester should dominate team selection?

What team do people think is best for the Italian game. Personally don't think it's a game to bleed new blood cause we could need a ***anic scoreline if and most probably Ireland get a bonus point against Italy we probably need a bigger score and we all know Italy will up the anty against us.

What team do people think is best for the Italian game. Personally don't think it's a game to bleed new blood cause we could need a ***anic scoreline if and most probably Ireland get a bonus point against Italy we probably need a bigger score and we all know Italy will up the anty against us.
Ideally I'd want England to start as they had been doing prior to Coronavirus and blasting out the blocks early and scoring a try in the first few mins. If we can get a smallish lead to start with then the Italians will need to force the game. When it comes to who you play when it's the whipping boys, there is little way to justify 1 selection over another. As the Italian fitness was poor at the best of times and likely even worse now, I think England should focus on power players to start the game and play a game play around keeping possession with the aim of tiring the Italians as quickly as possible and then switching to quicker and more dynamic players for the last quarter to try to rack up a score.

Disagree, still want him nowhere near the England side

Nowhere near as good as Smith or Simmonds while being older than both
Pretty sure Simmonds is the oldest of the three, probably the most talented too.

Mail are saying:

Robson, J. Willis, Umaga, Lawrence and Barbeary in

No place for Spencer or Cokanasiga or either Simmonds brother

Squad to be announced tomorrow then final updates after the final (though seeing as it's a bunch of wasps players in the "leak" maybe the whole thing will be announced tomorrow?)

Pretty sure Simmonds is the oldest of the three, probably the most talented too.
Aye, I got umaga and Simmonds ages mixed up
It's really weird to see EJ throw his hat so firmly behind umaga seeing as he has the same kinda qualities EJ disliked in Cipriani

Mail are saying:

Robson, J. Willis, Umaga, Lawrence and Barbeary in

No place for Spencer or Cokanasiga or either Simmonds brother

Squad to be announced tomorrow then final updates after the final (though seeing as it's a bunch of wasps players in the "leak" maybe the whole thing will be announced tomorrow?)

Aye, I got umaga and Simmonds ages mixed up
It's really weird to see EJ throw his hat so firmly behind umaga seeing as he has all the same qualities EJ disliked in Cipriani
I agree it is strange only thing I can think is cips was never going to be super long term due to age, where as if he can channel Umaga early enough perhaps he can be more grounded and less of a perceived disruption to the team, IMHO all 3 FH have pretty tall ceilings probably favouring Umaga and Simmons over Smith due to recent successes although that probably has more to do with the teams they play in than the player themselves.

If the rumours are accurate perhaps he's seeing Robson and Umaga as a package deal, JW is simply unquestionable.

Latest posts