• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] England Squad

Agreed. As much as we've been burned by Tompkins recently, I wouldn't like to think we'd start capping young players just to prevent them from playing for other countries they're eligible for.

Redpath has trained with the squad on a couple of occasions before, so I'm wondering if Eddie simply wants a centre with a little bit of familiarity with the squad?
We did it with hill

I don't know why Jones doesn't just get all the young centres in the squad and see which ones he wants to work with and then actually play a 12 at 12.

I mean I like Devoto, no idea why he hasn't been capped yet. Dingwall is good but I'm not sure he's top end international good, same goes for the James brothers. It's bizarre that England in general hasn't had a stand out 12 playing club rugby in the last 10 years really.

I don't know why Jones doesn't just get all the young centres in the squad and see which ones he wants to work with and then actually play a 12 at 12.
EPS agreements don't allow it.
Can you imagine how ****** off all the clubs will be if Eddie calls in a dozen+ young midfielders and messes up their club training?

Typical southerner, racist against northerners

I'm not saying they should be in the squad, btw, just that they're both significantly better than Redpath.
That said: I think they're both better than Dingwall and he's made the squad, so maybe they should be.
Erm...im from Doncaster living down south so who are you calling a southerner! :p was at the championship final Yorkshire vs Bristol hoping for a yorkshire team in the prem haha.

I get your point but sam James i dont think has a high ceiling, Luke i dont know i dont think he will amount to an England player tbh, pretty sure Redpath is only their because of potential and the potential loss if he does live up to the hype and choose Scotland.

Yeah for 20 odd minutes I reckon before he's broken again. Holding out for a durable Manu is like holding out for a durable Billy V. Gutting but neither can stay fit for long enough to be nailed on.

Yet we build our gameplans on the assumption they will be, it's madness.

No, Paul Hill
Got his first cap as a 20yr old because Ireland were sniffing about

I'd be really interested to see a comparison amongst all tier one nations and the amout of International games missed through injury to squad members in the last 10 years

I would suggest that England would be top or very near the top of that list. We clearly don't manage our elite players as well as other nations due to a lack of central contracts and I would also question the conditioning of our players. How can we build sustained success if half a dozen of your starters are constantly injured. Yes we have a large talent pool, but that does not substitute for quality

I'd be really interested to see a comparison amongst all tier one nations and the amout of International games missed through injury to squad members in the last 10 years

I would suggest that England would be top or very near the top of that list. We clearly don't manage our elite players as well as other nations due to a lack of central contracts and I would also question the conditioning of our players. How can we build sustained success if half a dozen of your starters are constantly injured. Yes we have a large talent pool, but that does not substitute for quality
There's probably a good deal of truth in that, but equally two of our worst cases, Manu and Binny seem nothing to do with their workload and all to do with inherent frailty. Whether there's anything in the Polynesian make up that makes them more injury prone is another discussion.

And many clubs might argue that the best way to keep their players in one piece is to keep them away from Jones' training sessions...

The numbers of players injured in Jones' training sessions has been ridiculous and culminates in Sam Jones retiring after getting injured doing Judo.

However Billy and Manu pre-date Jones' harsh training and so as pointed out above, it seems silly to build a game plan around them when they have a history of injury. By all means play them if fit, but to plan your squad around seems ridiculous.

I agree re billy and manu. However look at the likes of Watson, underhill, mako, nowell and slade over the past 3 seasons.They Have been unavailable for selection more than the other way around.
I don't see why the powers that be can't see this and do some analysis

Last edited:
Forwards
Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs)
Tom Curry (Sale Sharks)
Tom Dunn (Bath Rugby)
Ben Earl (Saracens)
Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby)
Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers)
Jamie George (Saracens)
Maro Itoje (Saracens)
George Kruis (Saracens)