• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2021 British & Irish Lions Squad

Is this the poorest squad in recent Lions memory? I don't think this squad / best XV beats 09,13 or 17.

I'm concerned about the lack of creativity in the midfield. Farrell - Henshaw is probably the most creative option and even then it's lacking. & we all know he won't go for that, can't wait for some more warrenball
I would consider removing 'recent' if were just talking squad I'd definitely want the '01 and '05 players that were selected over these guys.

Not too much to be outraged by, I don't think.

Very surprised Sinckler isn't going, as I think he is absolute quality. Likewise Navidi, who is criminally underrated. I get why Sexton isn't going, sometimes he needs protection from himself - and I say that as a compliment to the guy.

Not sure what Aki has done to justify selection, but it does say a lot about the style of rugby Gatland is looking to play. Can't argue with his success doing that though. I'm not a big Farrell fan, but he is a dead-eyed goal kicker and (apart from Biggar) there isn't anybody else at taking points in crucial tight games.

Whilst I am Welsh, so probably a bit biaised, Alun Wyn is the right guy to be captain.

Genuinely perplexed at Sinkler not going. Makes no sense to me

Obviously every nation will have questions but this is the worst one for me. Zander Fagerson is a good player but in no way is he better than Kyle Sinkler. The Furlong with Sinkler to finish was so effective last time.

I want sexton playing well, and I think on form he's the best of the lot in terms of his attitude, work rate and general game management

However I would really worry about him in a Lions tour with less rest time due to reduced squad size, and the physicality and potentially dirty play that often comes from the warm up teams. The guy is a legend, but isnt that 3 times since February he's been sat down for concussion? He loves rugby with so much passion, I think a summer off may do him the world of good, just to prevent any big injuries, particularly if he is indeed planning on playing in 2023
I wanted Johnny to be able to add three time Lion to the résumé. He deserves it and not just for sentimental reasons, unless he himself made the call I think it's a mistake. He was nearly everyone's starting 10 after the last round of the 6n, he's a leader which the squad, and backs in particular don't have many of and there's no one in that squad who's played better in international test matches v the SH sides than Johnny has consistently throughout his career.

I actually expected him to go and retire after, feels like BOD again just with poorer replacements and I have little doubt Gatland did that one just so he could be the only coach to ever drop BOD.

I think it's a call which shows why so many people aren't excited by the Lions anymore too, Gatland really isn't connecting with rugby fans. He'll argue that his job is only to win, well picking arguably the most pivotal player to his Lion's success might help that.

I'm not a big Farrell fan, but he is a dead-eyed goal kicker and (apart from Biggar) there isn't anybody else at taking points in crucial tight games.
England fans reading this
1620319370470.png

Once upon a time he was superb but recently he's average at best (for an international goal kicker), and put in one of the worst displays of goal kicking I've ever seen in the autumn (and that's coming from someone who has supported a team with Danny Cipriani and Rob du Preez as goal kicker!)
I'd trust him about as much as Russell (and less than Sexton and Biggar) to nail an important kick

and that's from someone who, up until recently, was one of Farrells biggest cheerleaders on here :p

From this squad what's our 10 12 13? 13s the position im not sure on, henshaw 12 and 13 harris? Dont want Aki and its Dalys best position but still he hasnt been on best form for a while.

Anyone who has time(as i dont) care to break it down into positions. It would be good to see the head to heads.

"Lawes has great coverage in the back five of the scrum. He has got that really horrible streak about him that means no-one is going to go through him"

Guess he forget the rwc final where he got subbed off after 40

"That combination of Bundee Aki and Robbie Henshaw was outstanding for Ireland against England, we've got to be able to have that balance between physicality that they bring and the ability to play rugby.

"Both of those players bring that, they know how to roll their sleeves up when it does get tough but they also can play some pretty positive attacking rugby as well."

Aki Henshaw 2016 dreamteam incoming.

That's genuinely crazy
How you gonna pick Hill and Simmonds after they got dominated by Leinster

What's the worst 15 we can make from this lot then:

1 Mako
2 George
3 Fagerson
4 Hill
5 AWJ
6 Conan
7 Itoje
8 Simmonds