• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2021 British & Irish Lions Squad

The bench should be the English front row,
Imo. It's what I would've done before squad was announced and would obviously do it now Sinkler has been called up.
You'd play Mako? I don't want him anywhere near the Englabd side currently let alone the Lions and Genge was called up for I dunno didn't clap or something.

You'd play Mako? I don't want him anywhere near the Englabd side currently let alone the Lions and Genge was called up for I dunno didn't clap or something.
Yeah I'd have him on the bench. I think Mako, LCD and Sinkler to come on is pretty tasty. I know Mako isn't in great form but I'd back him to turn it around. Obviously if he's looking rubbish prior then maybe reassess but I'm happy for him to be a finisher for sure.

He's been looking rubbish for about 2-3yrs to be fair, but that doesn't seem to stop him getting picked
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

He's been looking rubbish for about 2-3yrs to be fair, but that doesn't seem to stop him getting picked
Yeah that's fair. I still think some of the criticism he's getting is a tad harsh but I suppose I'm hoping that a bench role will better suit him/take some pressure off and the lions jerseys will raise his game even if temporarily.

Biggar looked alright when he came off, thankfully. Still, never know until you know so fingers crossed he's all good.

Simmonds is ankle which is always more of a worry. Who comes in if he's injured? Stander, Navidi?

Same for Biggar, Marcus Smith maybe?

Gutted for Porter. Premiership game you can understand but flipping rainbow cup. How heart wrenching that is.

Biggar looked alright when he came off, thankfully. Still, never know until you know so fingers crossed he's all good.

Simmonds is ankle which is always more of a worry. Who comes in if he's injured? Stander, Navidi?

Same for Biggar, Marcus Smith maybe?

Gutted for Porter. Premiership game you can understand but flipping rainbow cup. How heart wrenching that is.
I would be extremely surprised if Smith goes, from a selfish standpoint I'd want to see him in an England shirt first anyway.

I would be extremely surprised if Smith goes, from a selfish standpoint I'd want to see him in an England shirt first anyway.
If it's true, and I believe it is, that he got a letter/email then I guess he's in their thinking so for that reason alone I won't be shocked if he got called up but if you put this scenario to me a few months ago surprised would've been an understatement.

I'd imagine it'll be Sexton who gets the call if Biggar is out but could be Ford or maybe even Sheedy as a left field option but sounds like he's behind Smith as he didn't get a letter as far as I'm aware.

In a tight games with loads is scrums imagine being 3 points behind and then seeing Mako come off the bench.....it's like a guaranteed 9 points to the boks at the next few scrums.

Mako is not a bench option for this series.

In a tight games with loads is scrums imagine being 3 points behind and then seeing Mako come off the bench.....it's like a guaranteed 9 points to the boks at the next few scrums.

Mako is not a bench option for this series.
There's a lot to be said for the positive effects you can have on a player who's not in the best form by simply taking them out of their current environment and putting them into a new one.

If we only picked players in top form Itoje, George, Farrell, Gareth Davies etc etc wouldn't be going.

There's a lot to be said for the positive effects you can have on a player who's not in the best form by simply taking them out of their current environment and putting them into a new one.

If we only picked players in top form Itoje, George, Farrell, Gareth Davies etc etc wouldn't be going.
I don't agree with that I'm afraid. The whole basis of your argument is wrong. Mako form isn't the issue. He can't scrimmage against decent opposition, he has always struggled in the scrum and SA are beasts in the scrum.

So it's not about form, he's simply the wrong player to have on the bench agaisnt SA.

I don't agree with that I'm afraid. The whole basis of your argument is wrong. Mako form isn't the issue. He can't scrimmage against decent opposition, he has always struggled in the scrum and SA are beasts in the scrum.

So it's not about form, he's simply the wrong player to have on the bench agaisnt SA.
It's okay AWJ will sagely nod in Mako's directions and he'll suddenly have a game where he'll scrummage the opposing loosehead off the park.

Or he could be shite at it like he always has been but might find some form ball in hand again which has been missing for at least 2 years.

At the age of 30 sadly I know what is more likely. This isn't a sudden dip in form for a couple of games this is a long term rot.

That's fair if you think he's always been a terrible scrummager but I don't recall him always being poor in this area but you'd know better than me.

We shouldn't be looking at props who can scrummage and nothing else, though. I'm glad we took Sinkler over Francis even though it appears Francis is a better scrummager.

It's okay AWJ will sagely nod in Mako's directions and he'll suddenly have a game where he'll scrummage the opposing loosehead off the park.

Or he could be shite at it like he always has been but might find some form ball in hand again which has been missing for at least 2 years.

At the age of 30 sadly I know what is more likely. This isn't a sudden dip in form for a couple of games this is a long term rot.
Nice WOL comment section post. Lol.

Latest posts