• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2021 British & Irish Lions Squad

I reckon Gatland has
8. Faletau
9. Murray
12. Farrell

6:2 bench
Owens, Mako (I think Gatland starts Mako so Wyn Jones), Sinckler, AWJ, Lawes, Watson/Conan, Davies, Daly (if he doesn't start - if he does than LRZ)

1. Jones
2. LCD
3. Furlong
4. Itoje
5. Henderson
6. Beirne
7. Curry
8. Conan
9. Price
10. Biggar
11. DVdM
12. Henshaw
13. Harris
14. Adams
15. Watson

George, Sutherland, Sinckler, Lawes, Watson, Davies, Farrell, Daly

Though I wouldn't be against Faletau > Watson or Murray > Davies

Gatlands will look nothing like that though
I'd go with that except Hogg for Farrell, or Smith for Farrell, or Williams for Farrell or LRZ for Farrell or Fagerson for Farrell, or Hill for Farrell, Kelleher for Farrell, or Navidi for Farrell, or Owens for Farrell, or Simmonds for Farrell, or a crooked Russell for Farrell, hell my baby daughter for Farrell. Pretty much anyone but Farrell or AWJ.

Not seen enough of the lead up games to list a team, so relying on peeps who have watched all the games.

The panel on sky all going for Beirne, Curry Faletau back row. H. Watson on the bench.

Geech going for George to start and LCD to finish. From today I also thought LCD was terrific. But he goes on about raising the tempo during the course of the first test.

Loosehead? So Wyn Jones in pole ahead of Sutherland?

Back 3 interesting. Ronan going for Williams, but not sure where. Play make in his best position I would think: full back. Adams and AW as wings?

If Daly not starting then on the bench if only for his long range kicking.

centre pairing, Henshaw and Daly?

Half back pairing - Biggar from most posts in pole for 10. Has Murray been that disappointing?

Willl AWJ at least be in the bench? Please not a Itoje/Lawes second row combo. Only that is a tad underpowered. Henderson surely for Lawes.

Warburton actually had Aki and Daly as his 12 and 13 and no Henshaw in sight. What ******* planet is he on?! Sky need to get better pundits.

Seems to be a consensus on the back 3, half back pairing, backrow, locks if AWJ is picked, and front row.

But Make up of centres? If he is going for the test match animals then can see Farrell - Henshaw to start, despite Farrell's lack of form. Can bin him for the second/third tests if necessary if he plays like shite.

Bring on Daly later at 13 if necessary and shift Henshaw to 12. Not sure I can see a repeat of Te'o starting the first test with Bundee like he did v NZ.

6-2 bench split to mirror the Boks:

LCD, Sutherland, Sinckler, Henderson, Watson, Price, Daly.

I think he'll pick AWJ after learning it was a mistake not to out Sam for the first test last time last time. Cover him if he goes down with Henderson and Lawes on the bench.

From a SAn POV from what I know from past experience and have seen picking a XV I wouldn't want to see:

1 No comment - all have seemed competent from what I've seen and what do I know about the scrum. I know he has a bad rep amongst the NH crowd but Mako Vunipola has looked effective in the loose though that has only been off the bench against weary legs.
2 Cowan-Dick (the "ie" at the end doesn't seem appropriate given the tour he's had)
3 See LH. Whoever holds the scrum the best I guess.
4 Itoje
5 Beard
6 Curry (along with LCD and Daly the best performers IMO even if Kok put Daly on his ass that first minute vs Sharks 2.0)
7 Bierne
8 ? Haven't really been impressed by anyone TBH. That said with Vermeulen out and maybe Kwagga Smith there you can pick anyone you like. Even Duhan van der Merwe. Think he could do a good impression of early Pierre Spies. You don't see him anywhere but now and again he goes for an amazing barnstorming run.
9 ? Also not sure. No shoe-ins. Whoever has the most crisp and quick service.
10 Biggar I suppose. That Smith kid was busy last night but maybe too much to ask of a rookie to start at 10 in a 1st B&I Lions test? He does look cocky enough not too be phased mind you as long as his hair flopping around keeps his mind of the pressure.
11 Adams (has looked solid as ever)
12 Henshaw
13 Harris
14 Watson (I think havng a 14/15 might be better than someone like DvdM though I wish him well. I might be wrong but big power wingers have not traditionally been as effective vs us as against most nations. Bit of an outlier but Lomu for instance never scored a try vs us thanks to JvdW and though Kolbe and De Klerk are tiny they know how to take out the legs)
15 Daly (Have to have him somewhere. I think 15 is less competitive than the centers)

Here's what I think Gatland will pick as his starting 15 and my preferences in brackets:

1. Wyn Jones
2. LCD
3. Furlong
4. Itoje
5. AWJ (Henderson/Beard)
6. Beirne
7. Curry
8. Faleatu
9. Murray (Price)
10. Biggar
11. Adams (DVDM)
12. Aki (Henshaw)
13. Daly (Harris)
14. Watson
15. Williams

Harsh on Adams but he and Hogg weren't at their best yesterday.

Latest posts