• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2021 British & Irish Lions Squad

At least even the pundits who just go for the big names appear to be beginning to see just how **** Farrells form is. Other Sarries seems to be picking up a bit from the 6N but Farrell's form seems to have managed to get even worse. It's completely in the toilet. I'd not have him on the bench for England until he gets it together.

At least even the pundits who just go for the big names appear to be beginning to see just how **** Farrells form is. Other Sarries seems to be picking up a bit from the 6N but Farrell's form seems to have managed to get even worse. It's completely in the toilet. I'd not have him on the bench for England until he gets it together.
Honestly the best result from this Lions tour could be the demise of Farrells international career. If we could move to Ford/Smith (neither at center, just one at 10 and the other on the bench) it would be great. Also switch them regularly.

For me this needs to be the squad for the first test:

Wyn Jones - has been ok in the scrum and meh around the park. Mako is **** and Sutherland needs to be explosive off the bench
LCD - Has been superb in all facets
Furlong - it's furlong
4. Maro - it's maro
5. Henderson - decently mobile, good lo option and a bit of grunt
6. Bierne - has been superb
7. Watson - great round the park, hard to leave out
8. Curry - none of the 8s have really put their hands up for me and I want to see this back row together somehow. Won't happen but anyhow

9. Murray - meh all round but Price needs to bring something off the bench
10. Biggar - better than Faz
11. Adams - great finisher
12. Henshaw - **** Aki and faz
13. Harris - boshed Kolbe so he can have my babies
14. Duhan - power needed against boks
15. Williams - Hogg too liable to a brain fart

George, Sutherland, Sinkler, AWJ, Simmonds, Price, Smith, Watson / LRZ

On Vunipola.
His scrum ability seemed to drop once Cole went past his international sell by date
Also dropped significantly over last season.
Props need proper scrummaging tests to keep the 'fight' going.
You can have all the technique and strength, but without continually facing the other dark arts, leaves you susceptible.

LCD has been the best hooker on tour but I like the idea of him coming off the bench when Marx comes on for SA.

LCD has been the best hooker on tour but I like the idea of him coming off the bench when Marx comes on for SA.
So who would you start, because honestly I don't think either of George or Owens have stood out to say pick me.

On that note, why the **** is Kelleher in the squad? Surely barring injuries to at least 2 hookers he's not going to get to play. Not saying he doesn't deserve to be there, but logically he shouldn't actually play at this point.

So who would you start, because honestly I don't think either of George or Owens have stood out to say pick me.

On that note, why the **** is Kelleher in the squad? Surely barring injuries to at least 2 hookers he's not going to get to play. Not saying he doesn't deserve to be there, but logically he shouldn't actually play at this point.
I think Owens and George have done alright. It's a 50-50 call imo. I just think Owens is a harder **** which you need against the South Africans. Gatland really likes George, though, so won't be surprised if Owens is out of the match day squad.

Owens offers nothing outside of the setpiece, though, and I don't think there's anything between Owens/George at the set piece so you pick George as he's got the extra aspects to his game

LCD would offer more than either off the bench but hed also offer more than either starting - I'd rather him for 60 rather than 20

Owens offers nothing outside of the setpiece, though, and I don't think there's anything between Owens/George at the set piece so you pick George as he's got the extra aspects to his game

LCD would offer more than either off the bench but hed also offer more than either starting - I'd rather him for 60 rather than 20
Yep. Impact subs are important but not as important as having the significantly better player on the pitch for far longer.

I thought exactly the same. There was really no logical reason to fly him out. The only thing I can think of is that Gatland wanted to bring him out to experience the camp in SA as a thank you for joining the training camp in Jersey when they only had one hooker.

I thought exactly the same. There was really no logical reason to fly him out. The only thing I can think of is that Gatland wanted to bring him out to experience the camp in SA as a thank you for joining the training camp in Jersey when they only had one hooker.
I think it was likely just a case of making up numbers in training. With Covid/various knocks/regular games being played there's no harm in bringing in a guy like Kelleher who can fill the hooker's role and is also athletic enough to fill in as a back rower during training.

As I said, what he offers more is being a hard ****. I can't see these test matches being easy on the eye. Well, depends what you like I suppose. You should be all for it, you know, *props should be props and all that. I'd obviously disagree that he offers nothing outside the set piece but each to their own.

*hookers obviously but front row

As I said, what he offers more is being a hard ****.
I think the Welsh have a very different perception of their players than the rest of the world do
I would never say Owens was one of rugbys hard ******** - he's not exactly one to impose himself on a game through physicality or anything

Always just viewed him as a steady/solid player

I think the Welsh have a very different perception of their players than the rest of the world do
I would never say Owens was one of rugbys hard ******** - he's not exactly one to impose himself on a game through physicality or anything

Always just viewed him as a steady/solid player
I'm just talking about him and George. Comparing that quality between the 2. 90% of it is mentality and 100% of this is complete guesswork based on nothing but perception and bias just like the majority of people on the planet.

Also interesting that you say "Welsh" rather than just referring to me personally. One might even think that you're acting on your own bias, there. Unless, of course, you're in the habit of making mass, sweeping generalisations about other countries?

Not really,
Owens is very highly regarded amongst Welsh fans, with that Sherrif character n all that, but you never see the same level of adoration for him from others
It's the same with AWJ - rugby God to Welsh fans, pretty standard international lock to everyone else

Same happens with players from other countries and clubs, obviously, but the AWJ and Sherrif love in from the fans and press is another level