• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2021 British & Irish Lions Squad

Henshaw and Daly centre partnership I do like.

Dawson going with Murray. His position of expertise. So would go with that.

Henshaw and Daly centre partnership I do like.
So do I. I'm thinking about how people will feel that Daly should be on the bench to cover the backline as he is probably the most versatile back and is a good injury cover. However, I feel that is a very negative tactic.

If we went with Dawson's team then Gatland will have Price/Davies, Farrell and one more back on the bench. With Farrell you technically have 9, 10, 12 and 13 covered (This posts is now making me want to vomit). That realistically leaves you with just 11, 14 & 15 to cover which could be Hogg for example with Williams making way or Williams shifting to wing. Having said that I feel if the Lions are losing 11, 14 & 15 are the least likely positions to make a difference. Price/Davies & Farrell gives enough cover for a 6:2 split (again I want to vomit) as Daly could move to the back three with Farrell moving into centre.

Basically I feel there is no reason to shoe-horn Daly as a versatile back who should be a covering sub when actually he's played well enough to deserve a starting spot and there are other options that allow the backs to be covered.

I can't believe so many so called experts are calling for Mako to start (Warburton and ROG also had him starting). His two best performances have been off the bench after the game has opened up and he has been able to show his good hands in the loose. His one start on this tour was a disaster just like the RWC final. Wyn Jones has earned a start and the bench spot is between Sutherland and Mako.

I can't believe so many so called experts are calling for Mako to start (Warburton and ROG also had him starting). His two best performances have been off the bench after the game has opened up and he has been able to show his good hands in the loose. His one start on this tour was a disaster just like the RWC final. Wyn Jones has earned a start and the bench spot is between Sutherland and Mako.
Dawson thinks the rest of the pack can make up for Mako in the set piece, but I don't see how that's possible at the scrum if it's constantly going down on his side.

Dawson thinks the rest of the pack can make up for Mako in the set piece, but I don't see how that's possible at the scrum if it's constantly going down on his side.
"This house is built of the strongest materials available, who cares if the foundations are on sand?"

Would not ba apposed to that 15 bar (my favourite player(see my pic)) SSiimmonds, how is he the form 8? For me Conan should start, Simmonds need a big 6 to do the heavy carrying to allow him to hold back and hit the gaps.
They should've tried Faletau at 6 and Simmonds at 8 in one of the warmups, like how Bath have Faletau/Mercer together

Definitely feels like these warmups have some missed opportunities re: potential combinations

Similar to the point I made re. Mako, Simmonds starting is just another bad call. He'd be better off the bench after the game has opened up and there is more space for him to attack.

I think the Irish and Scots could get behind a team of.
1. Vunipola
2. George
3. Sinckler
4. AWJ
5. Beard
6. Lawes
7. Curry
8. Simmonds
9. Davies
10. Biggar
11. Watson
12. Farrell
13. Daly
14. Adams
15. Williams

I think the Irish and Scots could get behind a team of.
1. Vunipola
2. George
3. Sinckler
4. AWJ
5. Beard
6. Lawes
7. Curry
8. Simmonds
9. Davies
10. Biggar
11. Watson
12. Farrell
13. Daly
14. Adams
15. Williams
Honestly you could throw all 8 Irish players in and I'd be equally against them.

Up Johnny, up riding. (This is not an endorsement for condoms)

Honestly you could throw all 8 Irish players in and I'd be equally against them.

Up Johnny, up riding. (This is not an endorsement for condoms)

"You wouldn't be advising the use of artificial contraception now, would ya Father"

EdUEjYVX0AA4eCX.jpg

Think we will risk 6 2? Or go 5 3?
Id go
Sutherland LCD Furlong
Itoje AWJ(because he will start so im not fighting it)
Beirne Conan(8) Curry

Price Bigger
Henshaw Daly
Watson Williams(15) DVDM(fast winger and powerful winger.)

George
Mako
Sinkler
Watson(Beirne covers lock) or lawes
Falatau or Watson( if Lawes at 19)
Murrey
Faz(not actually apposed to Smith)
Hogg (Williams to 14 and DVDM for strong ariel game.

If you thought playing Mako was unpopular move amongst NH posters you have seen nothing yet or deliberately trolling.
LOL its that bad, huh? Then I assume the man is absolute rubbish at the scrum? TBF to him though, he put in more work outside of the core functions of a prop in one game off the bench than Beast did in his 100+ caps for us and Beast is considered a Bok legend and outside an all time Bok XV only because Os du Randt played for us.

LOL its that bad, huh? Then I assume the man is absolute rubbish at the scrum? TBF to him though, he put in more work outside of the core functions of a prop in one game off the bench than Beast did in his 100+ caps for us and Beast is considered a Bok legend and outside an all time Bok XV only because Os du Randt played for us.
This being the really key piece of info

England were absolutely destroyed in the scrum in the world cup. Yes it didn't help that Sinckler went off early, but in the first half at least it felt like penalty after penalty at the scrum. Mako is not good enough against a strong scrum, it's as simple as that. Maybe if the opponents scrum isn't as strong you have the luxury of starting him, but not against S.A

Points taken. Just can't fathom a tier 1 nation prop with the amount of caps he has that doesn't at least.. manage well enough at his core positional requirements.

He's regressed over the last few years, but was never that great to start with
He used to be able to hold his own, but now not so much - not sure if it's because the level of competition has risen, or the average of our tight 5 has dropped off a bit so it can no longer make up for his deficiencies, but he's definitely a liability at the scrum these days (and has been for a couple of seasons now)

Not exactly anything special. No way did he prove he deserves to start over any of the other locks, even Hill.
Yeah but it's not exactly "lame" either.

He hasn't even played a half of rugby this tour so I agree I'm not sure if he deserves it but I guess that's subjective at the end of the day.

Hill had his best game last night I thought.