Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh Rugby, Scotland) Prop
Justin Tipuric (Ospreys, Wales) Back row
Mako Vunipola (Saracens, England) Prop
Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby, Scotland) Back row

11 English
10 Welsh
8 Irish
8 Scots

Pretty nice balance compared to previous tours!

Lions squad selection always gets people's backs up. Twitter is so funny. The outrage is amusing.

Biggest thing that jumps out is that Gatland clearly has put AWJ down as 5 for the tests already and then to maintain that he could only pick 1 of Ryan or Itoje.
Not surprising Sexton was left out. But surprised Aki made it given he didn't feature for Ireland at all really.
Glad for Conan while I feel a special nod of gutted..ness generally for Doris from a Leinster, Ireland and Lions point of view.

Be interesting to see if there's competition for the test 15 and if its just a wallop it up the middle job all summer?

Not surprising Sexton was left out.
It is when you think of how bad Russell was in the games Scotland won and then was worse in the heads up v Sexton. Russell has been so poor and has a contrived reputation winning him undeserved plaudits whereas Sexton is the reverse.

Very strange when Gatland sticks with the tried and tested for the most part and the only test he's coached the Lions for that Sexton didn't start was shambolic.

Add in Russell's attitude problems and the likelihood being that he won't be the golden boy like he is with Scotland, such a bad shout for me.

Hopefully Sexton gets another good season out of this and Gats fails fairly miserably.

It is when you think of how bad Russell was in the games Scotland won and then was worse in the heads up v Sexton. Russell has been so poor and has a contrived reputation winning him undeserved plaudits whereas Sexton is the reverse.

Very strange when Gatland sticks with the tried and tested for the most part and the only test he's coached the Lions for that Sexton didn't start was shambolic.

Add in Russell's attitude problems and the likelihood being that he won't be the golden boy like he is with Scotland, such a bad shout for me.

Hopefully Sexton gets another good season out of this and Gats fails fairly miserably.
Well given his injury profile and perhaps something behind the scenes we're not yet aware of yet I don't think its a surprise. He was always going to take Biggar out if sheer Welshophilia and Farrell again was tagged on eventhough hes currently playing 2nd tier rugby. Russell is over rated given his body of work but I guess we'll see.

Sadly its looks like a Farrell, Henshaw, Aki, VDM smash ball job in the backs. That's of course when the forwards aren't hitting brick walls too.

Anyhow South Africa to do to the Lions what they did to England and Farrell to get sent off in the first test.

I want sexton playing well, and I think on form he's the best of the lot in terms of his attitude, work rate and general game management

However I would really worry about him in a Lions tour with less rest time due to reduced squad size, and the physicality and potentially dirty play that often comes from the warm up teams. The guy is a legend, but isnt that 3 times since February he's been sat down for concussion? He loves rugby with so much passion, I think a summer off may do him the world of good, just to prevent any big injuries, particularly if he is indeed planning on playing in 2023

I mean I know I said it yesterday but IU don't understand what Gatland sees in Russell now that he didn't see 4 years ago.

I mean I know I said it yesterday but IU don't understand what Gatland sees in Russell now that he didn't see 4 years ago.

Russell for me has looked a lot more mature in his game management now than before, he can still pull of the miracle passes etc, but he seem to choose his moments better. Would argue he's the most complete fly half going

Its a coaching panel (not just Gatland) and I'm sure Townsend and Tandy would have had massive input here.

Russell for me has looked a lot more mature in his game management now than before, he can still pull of the miracle passes etc, but he seem to choose his moments better. Would argue he's the most complete fly half going
Its weird one for me, Sexton would be going over Biggar or Farrell for me not Russell. Russell is my kind of fly half although I think Ford is better. But I don't think Russell has done much differently in intervening years to put them side by side in current form and make a different one from 4 years ago.

Sexton has gone from reluctant starter to at least 4th choice that doesn't add up.

What a comeback story for Tadhg Beirne, delivering pizzas to his Leinster team mates to pushing for a Lions test start. Inspiring stuff.

What a comeback story for Tadhg Beirne, delivering pizzas to his Leinster team mates to pushing for a Lions test start. Inspiring stuff.
He should be one of the first names on the test team sheet but I worry that he won't be.

Trying to keep all the Home Nations happy is not a good move by Gatland and Co. However why he managed to select the most players from the weakest home nation is not necessarily the wisest of moves.

Is this the poorest squad in recent Lions memory? I don't think this squad / best XV beats 09,13 or 17.

I'm concerned about the lack of creativity in the midfield. Farrell - Henshaw is probably the most creative option and even then it's lacking. & we all know he won't go for that, can't wait for some more warrenball

Trying to keep all the Home Nations happy is not a good move by Gatland and Co. However why he managed to select the most players from the weakest home nation is not necessarily the wisest of moves.

Agreed, too many Welsh in the squad for my liking.