• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2021 British & Irish Lions Squad

Gareth Davies is a big running threat and good in defence but he's actual 9 skills are just ok for test level. Passing and box kicking is decent enough but he decision making can be genuinely awful at times.
It's a bit funny that Gatland took Davies but left the actual best 9 in Wales, Tomos Williams, at home.

Gareth Davies has always been a inconsistent, streaky kind of player and he's not in good form at the minute. If 2019 Davies turns up then fine but he's got to play his way back into form on tour.

Actually disagree that Price is a tempo 9 he's obviously quick and has a snipe but he's as ponderous a 9 you'll find at Rick time. Think Murray will start because he's the most experience, highest pedigree and his size will be an asset. He's also looked very good at times last year, but it's inconsistent. I'd have him 9 and Davies at 21, but it's definitely not ideal. Think 10 is a bigger issue though.

Actually disagree that Price is a tempo 9 he's obviously quick and has a snipe but he's as ponderous a 9 you'll find at Rick time. Think Murray will start because he's the most experience, highest pedigree and his size will be an asset. He's also looked very good at times last year, but it's inconsistent. I'd have him 9 and Davies at 21, but it's definitely not ideal. Think 10 is a bigger issue though.
A Biggar issue? ;)

Fair comment on Davies I don't really follow enough current games to judge form, he just seems visible on the field at 6N time.

If moving onto the 10 question, as a Scot one wonders what Finn will take/learn from this tour - he's obviously in there as the creative option but unsure if Gats will be brave enough to work with him (he wasn't a huge Hook or Henson fan).

The only reason Price was ever viewed as a tempo 9 is because he replaced Laidlaw, who could make glaciers look speedy.

A Biggar issue? ;)

Fair comment on Davies I don't really follow enough current games to judge form, he just seems visible on the field at 6N time.

If moving onto the 10 question, as a Scot one wonders what Finn will take/learn from this tour - he's obviously in there as the creative option but unsure if Gats will be brave enough to work with him (he wasn't a huge Hook or Henson fan).

On Gat's preferences at 10, I wouldn't be so sure that he always plumps for the safe option. Hook certainly wasn't a fave of his, but Henson certainly was when available.

Prieatland was probably his favourite 10 during his time with Wales, keeping Biggar out of the side for a long time. Priestland is certainly on the attacking side of things and could be very flaky, but got things going in attack.

Biggar was almost the automatic choice most of the time, with no consistent challengers putting him under pressure until Anscombe finally fulfilled his promise and ousted Biggar as a starter.

Whether Russell is too much of a maverick will have to be seen though.

Assuming the team will be announced Thursday, anyone heard anything different?

Also assuming the lads that have just joined like Curry and co won't be involved.

I'd go for what looks like the first choice front row (Wyn Jones, Owens and Furlong) with Henderson and AWJ in the 2nd row and Beirne, Tips and Faletau in the back row.

Murray and Biggar at 9 and 10 with Aki and Henshaw in the middle with Watson and Adams on the wings and Hogg at 15.

Assuming the team will be announced Thursday, anyone heard anything different?

Also assuming the lads that have just joined like Curry and co won't be involved.

I'd go for what looks like the first choice front row (Wyn Jones, Owens and Furlong) with Henderson and AWJ in the 2nd row and Beirne, Tips and Faletau in the back row.

Murray and Biggar at 9 and 10 with Aki and Henshaw in the middle with Watson and Adams on the wings and Hogg at 15.

Hogg is still with Exeter isn't he? Watson or Williams will likely start at 15 I'd say. The two Scots most likely to get a starting place are probably Chris Harris and Hamish. Sutherland also has a shout of starting at LH if he's showed up well in training or he'll at least come on as a replacement for Wyn Jones.

Hogg is still with Exeter isn't he? Watson or Williams will likely start at 15 I'd say. The two Scots most likely to get a starting place are probably Chris Harris and Hamish. Sutherland also has a shout of starting at LH if he's showed up well in training or he'll at least come on as a replacement for Wyn Jones.
So he is. Forgot about that. Yeah I'd start Liam at FB in that case.

Yeah, I imagine he'll go for Hamish too which I won't be upset about at all, obviously. Would be good to get a look at Harris as well. I think I'd use Sutherland off the bench but as you rightly say, how players have trained will play a big part in selection too.

Oh ****. Just looking through the lions Twitter and team announcement is tomorrow. Can't wait, really excited for this game now. I know it's just a money spinner and all that but it's useful for the coaches and players and I'm still excited about it so......

Latest posts