• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2021 British & Irish Lions Squad

Was about to post the same thing, I still find it utterly baffling. The guy on the field shows the leadership skills of a gnat yet everyone who works with him says he's the most wonderful guy in the world.

Like AWJ for all the issues I have with him as a player he clearly leads the team he's playing for. I never see any of that from Farrell.

Was about to post the same thing, I still find it utterly baffling. The guy on the field shows the leadership skills of a gnat yet everyone who works with him says he's the most wonderful guy in the world.

Like AWJ for all the issues I have with him as a player he clearly leads the team he's playing for. I never see any of that from Farrell.

I think it's always going to be a bit baffling for guys like us that have no idea what goes on behind the scenes, how they train and the relationships they form etc etc. I agree with what you're saying but the guy is clearly massively respected in the group and not just by the English lads which is good enough for me.

I'm not overly baffled, I can see Farrell is a good motivator. What he isn't is a captain or good decision maker. I think the issue is conflating his ability to get people fired up or talk the talk with his ability to get the refs on side or make good tactical decisions.

I'd be curious to know who else is in the leadership group. I would guess AWJ, Farrell, Hogg, Henderson, Owens & maybe Itoje?

I'd be curious to know who else is in the leadership group. I would guess AWJ, Farrell, Hogg, Henderson, Owens & maybe Itoje?
Yep, I'd be inspired by an OAP, a couple of Championship players and a Chiefs bench warmer too.

Think George often finds his way onto these things.

I think Murray will be in there
I know Hogg is Scotland captain but I'm not sure he'd win a players player type vote for leadership (he's also still in Exeter)
We'll sound find out. This will be his third tour and he seems to have good relations with the likes of Farrell (they were the two youngest Lions in 2013) and will know quite a few of the other players from past tours, Scotland and Exeter. I would be surprised if he's not in the mix.

Assuming the team will be announced Thursday, anyone heard anything different?

Also assuming the lads that have just joined like Curry and co won't be involved.

I'd go for what looks like the first choice front row (Wyn Jones, Owens and Furlong) with Henderson and AWJ in the 2nd row and Beirne, Tips and Faletau in the back row.

Murray and Biggar at 9 and 10 with Aki and Henshaw in the middle with Watson and Adams on the wings and Hogg at 15.
Your crystal ball needs a severe polishing

Does anyone else think that Gatland doesn't look like he's in great health at the moment? Kinda looks like he's got breathing difficulties while speaking in one or two of his recent interviews (unless he runs to the media room). I know he's no spring chicken but also saw him struggle to carry a couple of bags into the airport terminal like a frail old man in one of the recent Lions videos.

Does anyone else think that Gatland doesn't look like he's in great health at the moment? Kinda looks like he's got breathing difficulties while speaking in one or two of his recent interviews (unless he runs to the media room). I know he's no spring chicken but also saw him struggle to carry a couple of bags into the airport terminal like a frail old man in one of the recent Lions videos.
You know what, I was thinking similar watching his press conference in that he just seemed a bit flat and not firing on all cylinders. Hope he's ok, obviously. Maybe we're reading too much into it and he's just a bit stressed/tired.

Yep. I thought the same, but I thought it was just me being harsh.

He seems to have aged very rapidly all of a sudden.

I've not noticed it till now but yeah he doesn't look great. He looks quite a bit older than he did when last with Wales in 2019.

I wonder if he might have long COVID. It definitely seems like he's got breathing issues while he is talking in some of his recent interviews. Anyway hope it's nothing serious and he's ok.

Latest posts