• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2021 British & Irish Lions Squad

Another thing is, most drugs that you take leave your bloodstream within 3 weeks. Timing is crucial, and in competition testing is more regular. Pre seasons for that reason may be a huge reason why we see the massive growth

IMO, it's rife in the academies - mostly pain relief and anti-inflammatories so that they can push themselves harder in the gym, and there's no job security - but pretty much not a problem once actually a senior - at least, for the players with job security; the fringe guys may be juicing on something.

It's about the risk / benefit ratio. in the academy, testing is... pathetic, so there's relatively low risk; but the reward is huge - the next 12 years can depend upon it. Once a senior though, the testing is much more reasonable (not as stringent as I'd like, not as bad as plenty of other sports), and the rewards are lower - especially as they're mostly interested in maintaining what they've already achieved. Added to which, of course the world is much more forgiving of an 18 year old who made a naïve mistake, than a 28 years old who really ought to know better.

It's also easy for us old farts to not know (or have forgotten) how easy it is to put on muscle as a late-teen whilst clean - especially if we were largely trying to play rugby (and probably other sports as well) alongside the gym work, a day job (even if studying) and no professional level nutrition, training and equipment.

Last edited:
It's also easy for us old farts to not know (or have forgotten) how easy it is to put on muscle as a late-teen whilst clean - especially if we were largely trying to play rugby (and probably other sports as well) alongside the gym work.
Yeah wife's nephew is in late 20's now which is why I'm highly dubious.

Admittedly I have no clue apart ad-hoc cycling to work and very dubiously playing Squash once a week for a period I haven't regularly exercised my entire life until the past 2 years.

The sport has loads of collisions, loads of injuries and demands unnaturally big men to move unnaturally quickly. Of course there will be plenty pushing the boundaries and I have no doubt a good number stepping over, possibly more often those at sub elite level who have the ambition but not quite been blessed with the genetics.

Being generally fit or powerful for sport is one thing. But, with the benefit of hindsight, why anyone would want to look like the pic @Akker Van Der Tigs posted I really don't know. Quite apart from health risks - joint injuries, extra strain on heart, effects of outside 'assistance', probably not doing much cardio etc, at some point you're going to stop….and then all that hard work literally goes South.

A lot of top players also turning to CBD.

CBD is big in American sports matter of time before it grew here.

NGL friend takes them and recommended it to me. Tempted to try.

Playing rugby at any level comes with its health risks. Increases chances of arthritis, concussions aren't good, muscle tears rarely heal properly when not treated well. (I'm terrible for just "feeling" my way back from injury and would be more conscious than most I'd suspect) So any risks related to illegal substances aren't going to be massively dissuasive.

We already know rugby has a painkiller problem, it's documented. I've been in dressing rooms at 2nd XV level where lads offer ibuprofen around the room like it's chewing gum before a game, God knows what it's like at higher levels.

I doubt there's many players who haven't been in a position where they would fail a test at some point, whether common or consistent I'm not as sure. I can't say I haven't wondered what it'd be like running a cycle or two and I've seen some fairly unimpressive looking lads who have juiced but doubt a full cycle is common in rugby, lads qualifying for academies are impressive athletes at peak fitness.

CBD is big in American sports matter of time before it grew here.

NGL friend takes them and recommended it to me. Tempted to try.
I take decaf kush the odd time, started when I was struggling to sleep in early lockdown this year. It definitely helped then and when I use it now (a couple times a week max and could easily go a month without it) I feel slightly more relaxed, haven't experienced any negatives.

I've tried CBD in the past and found it did nothing,

Not sure if it's just the latest snake oil (like when cupping was a big thing a few olympics ago) or if I just need to pay for higher concentrations of the stuff - whenever you see athletes taking it they're necking the bottles that are £100+ a pop

Not sure if it's just the latest snake oil (like when cupping was a big thing a few olympics ago) or if I just need to pay for higher concentrations of the stuff - whenever you see athletes taking it they're necking the bottles that are £100+ a pop
Its almost hillarious looking back it now all these swimmers (mainly American) with those big circular marks over their bodies looking like idiots and trying to justify it scientifically. Then within 4 years they'd all stopped.

I always go for the highest concentration vape juice and gummies. There's a relaxing element to vaping anyway so could be a placebo for sure.

The vape is a good thing to have when you're prone to bumming fags or buying a box of fags on a night out anyway. Marginally less unhealthy is just a negative way of saying I'm being healthy.

It depends what you're using it for; and then getting the dosage right for the individual. And of course, just like everything else, everyone reacts differently.

It's "worth a go" for... essentially calming the brain down a bit - so insomnia, anxiety, epilepsy, and nociplastic pain (that is - pain generated by a drama-queen brain, rather than by tissue damage). There's still not much research done on it - largely because it's considered a supplement, not a drug; so no pharmaceutical level investment (or profit).

I found it fairly useful for my insomnia, and a little for my knee (but not worth persisting with daily); my dog had a new lease of life from her arthritis for a couple of years (until the last couple of months)

Cupping was always ridiculous, and nothing more than placebo (but you have to remember that placebo is real and powerful)

I predict that the next fad is going to be devil's claw

Just looking up cupping and was shocked to see it was the last Olympics (for some reason I thought it was Shanghai) are the idiots still doing it? Is Phelps still a lead contender? I don't follow swimming at all.

Individuals tend to love cupping - it's dramatic and obvious - which are both very powerful placebos

I just thought that AWJ got healed pretty quick, just joked about the juice....SA the last country that can point fingers about that.....I'm certain the amped guy few posts back have smaller biceps than Eben...lol

Apologies for the bump but thought this was pretty funny and thought @Le Frére Alpha might accept Gatlands humble apology and bridges could be built.

"I originally selected Louis Rees-Zammit because of his finishing prowess, but after an 11th-hour rethink went for Josh. I didn't want to make the same mistake as I did in South Africa, leaving Josh out of the first two Tests. He has the uncanny habit of scoring tries when they matter. For example, he had a great opportunity to score in the third Test last year which would have put us in a commanding position to win the series, but unfortunately the pass wasn't made

(Re Sexton) In South Africa I was concerned about his injury record and whether he could get through the tour, and I still probably ask myself now whether it was the right decision to leave him at home.

"You can have a huge database on each player but sometimes it comes down to what a player has done for you in the past, even if he is currently out of form, and sometimes it just comes down to your gut instinct," he added. "I know I have not always got it right. Some of my selections I still turn over in my head to this day. At the end of the day, selection is just opinion and getting the dynamics right for a Lions tour is one where the learning process never ends. On last year's tour of South Africa, I was probably too conciliatory at times in picking the Test team.

"This hypothetical selection has been a lot more fun. With so little preparation time, I have included some national combinations but also tried to ensure that all four countries are represented in the 23-man squad. It is also probably the first time that the selection is all mine! I hope it stirs up some debate."

Gatland's Lions XV of today: 15. Freddie Steward (England), 14. Josh Adams (Wales), 13. Robbie Henshaw (Ireland), 12. Owen Farrell (England), 11. James Lowe (Ireland), 10. Johnny Sexton (Ireland), 9. Jamison Gibson-Park (Ireland), 1. Ellis Genge (England), 2. Jamie George (England), 3. Tadhg Furlong (Ireland), 4. James Ryan (Ireland), 5. Tadhg Beirne (Ireland), 6. Courtney Lawes (England), 7. Josh van der Flier (Ireland), 8. Caelan Doris (Ireland).

Replacements: Dan Sheehan (Ireland), Andrew Porter (Ireland), Zander Fagerson (Scotland), Maro Itoje (England), Taulupe Faletau (Wales), Ali Price (Scotland), Marcus Smith (England), Jack Nowell (England).

Latest posts