• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] England Squad

Apparently Sinckler will be available for selection once he has served his suspension.

Totally agree on all the praise for Wilson, and Eddie said back in his biography that Wilson's a real vocal team leader in the sheds.

A touch worried that our two starting props are out vs a good Scotland front row, but Genge and Stuart aren't bad replacements to have by any means.

Shame about Willis but it looks like it's just the numbers game.

I'd really not be worried about the combination of Marler and Stuart on the scrummaging front. Marler's certainly better than Mako in that regard, and Stuart is no slouch.

If England started Stuart, Hill and Billy that would be a hilariously heavyweight pack.

So. Who will start vs Scotland?
LHP - Genge Marler Obano
HK - George LCD
THP - Stuart Williams
LK - Itoje Lawes Hill Launchbury
BR - Curry Underhill Earl Wilson Billy
SH - Youngs Robson Randall
FH - Ford Faz
CTR - Slade Lawrence
WG - May Watson Odogwu
FB - Daly Malins

Surprisingly un-upset by that.

Can't get worked up about Willis this time. Big fan but he hasn't looked quite on top of his game the last couple of times I've seen him, one of which was at 8. To a degree he's a bit more of the same while Wilson is top class and brings something different.

Having made a good start all Jones has to do now is give some of the newer players a reasonable crack of the whip and totally change the Autumn tactics. Asking too much?

I'm fine with Wilson with a smaller squad I would rather have someone like Wilson than Willis mainly because I also think Wilson would bring more to training.

It's a shame that Ted Hill has dropped a long way off the radar.
True he's a very good player but who would you drop for him? For me theres no back rower in the squad or shadow squad id drop for him.

True he's a very good player but who would you drop for him? For me theres no back rower in the squad or shadow squad id drop for him.
Aye, he's in a tough spot because he's not been blooded and there's guys ahead who are nowhere near the threshold to be dropped - he's one of the big casualties of the Lions tour (presuming that the kamikaze twins and Binny would tour then it would've left the door open for a Hill/Willis/Earl backrow)

I think it'd be Hill vs Wilson as the non-openside option in the squad, but Wilson is only 31 and will definitely (injury permitting) be pulling up trees by the next RWC so it's hard to see where he'll break in now.

Somehow forgot about Hill. Doesn't bode too well for him that Martin seems to have been selected ahead of him as a 6/lock option in the shadow squad.

I was thinking the same thing this morning, I'd love to see Ted in the squad but who would you drop?

Aye, he's in a tough spot because he's not been blooded and there's guys ahead who are nowhere near the threshold to be dropped - he's one of the big casualties of the Lions tour (presuming that the kamikaze twins and Binny would tour then it would've left the door open for a Hill/Willis/Earl backrow)

I think it'd be Hill vs Wilson as the non-openside option in the squad, but Wilson is only 31 and will definitely (injury permitting) be pulling up trees by the next RWC so it's hard to see where he'll break in now.
He's 31? How hard was his paper round?

To get into the Eng back row now you have to excel. Good isn't enough. Which is as it should be.

Actually cancel that. To be an Eng flanker you need to excel.

Last edited:
T

To get into the Eng back row now you have to excel. Good isn't enough. Which is as it should be.

Actually cancel that. To be an Eng flanker you need to excel.
Apart from at 8 apparently.

First squad I actually can't complain about, I really like the balance and as long as Jones doesn't put Young's on the wing or something it should be a great 15.

Whats going on with big joe? Form or injured? Or fitness?

It's a shame that Ted Hill has dropped a long way off the radar.
I think regarding Ted Hill, he has had a few brain farts recently that are cardable offences, usually involving high tackles.

Whats going on with big joe? Form or injured? Or fitness?
His form hasn't been good since returning from injury. Generally you accepted not so good defence for a potentially deadly attacker but more recently he's just been poor at both.

I think regarding Ted Hill, he has had a few brain farts recently that are cardable offences, usually involving high tackles.

His form hasn't been good since returning from injury. Generally you accepted not so good defence for a potentially deadly attacker but more recently he's just been poor at both.
Big joe is one player ive always wanted to come good, so much potential. But all the potential in the world if your not on form then you shouldnt be in. May prob being an exception, not a fan of credit in the bank but he always steps up for England.

Big Joe's loss is Odogwu's gain. What is he going to be wing or centre?

I imagine wing, because there's Lawrence and Slade as 13s
Though if EJ shifts Farrell back to 10 (or shock horror: drops him) and Slade to 12 then who knows - don't know what condition Lawrence is in atm

Most likely is 23 shirt, though - unless May/Watson break or are particularly poo (though even then I'd guess at Daly to wing and Malins to start before I'd expect to see Odogwu start)

Big joe is one player ive always wanted to come good, so much potential. But all the potential in the world if your not on form then you shouldnt be in. May prob being an exception, not a fan of credit in the bank but he always steps up for England.

Big Joe's loss is Odogwu's gain. What is he going to be wing or centre?
If ever there was a case of over-hyping a player long before it was due , Cockanasinga was the prime example. I remember Sir Clive dribbling with profuse praise and even comparing him with Jonah Lomu ffs . embarrasing really. A few weeks ago (cant remember which game) his attempt to tackle and stop a try was woeful. For a big guy he does appear to be a bit too soft.

I've always found that big Joe's issue is that he looks for contact far too much. The best big wingers still use footwork and pace to start to get around the man marking them and then use their power to get past them, but Joe just looks to steam roll anyone in front of him, regardless of how much space he has to work with. That way even if he beats that first man, he gets slowed down so much that the second defender is always able to catch him.

I've always found that big Joe's issue is that he looks for contact far too much. The best big wingers still use footwork and pace to start to get around the man marking them and then use their power to get past them, but Joe just looks to steam roll anyone in front of him, regardless of how much space he has to work with. That way even if he beats that first man, he gets slowed down so much that the second defender is always able to catch him.
Yep he hasn't got particularly nimble evasive footwork, but i find it surprising how easily he is grounded ,even by just he first tackler.

Latest posts