• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] England Squad

Same conundrum we had with Hartley. The best team isn't necessarily the best 15 players. Leadership is a big part of any team and has been a huge problem since Hartley retired.

I've always regarded Kruis as our premier lock and if he's available / in decent form he plays. Launch is an established international class player who's still at the peak of his powers and if he's captain then that's the 2nd row sorted. That might not be a popular view (scrap that, it definitely won't) but I think it's what would serve the team best up to the RWC.
You would pick a Launchbury/Kruis lock partnership? I really don't think they'd complement each other, and I think you're seriously underestimating Itoje's quality.

As there is no relegation this year then Sarries are going to be in the 2nd tier for at least another season.

Should the sarries players now be looking for contracts elsewhere if they want to continue to play for England?

Same conundrum we had with Hartley. The best team isn't necessarily the best 15 players. Leadership is a big part of any team and has been a huge problem since Hartley retired.

I've always regarded Kruis as our premier lock and if he's available / in decent form he plays. Launch is an established international class player who's still at the peak of his powers and if he's captain then that's the 2nd row sorted. That might not be a popular view (scrap that, it definitely won't) but I think it's what would serve the team best up to the RWC.
its a very interesting call....

We know Joe is alot of things...but a lineout guru he probably isnt...so how then would you sort the back row out for an additional lineout jumper?

As there is no relegation this year then Sarries are going to be in the 2nd tier for at least another season.

Should the sarries players now be looking for contracts elsewhere if they want to continue to play for England?
Sarries will be promoted have no fear. Even if Ealing or Pirates top the league...there'll be two promoted. They wont let Sarries miss another season

Geordiefalcon....

Kruis would be the go to guy and most likely to attack opposition ball. I never used to think too much of Launch in the line out but as time's gone on I definitely think he's become more dominant and is safe on his ball. Didn't Kruis used to be the caller?

Curry and / or Underhill can probably do a couple per match which is pretty much all that's needed from the back row. As regular readers will know I have always thought Itoje should have concentrated at 6.....and while that ship has unfortunately probably sailed I could definitely see him / Lawes making guest appearances in the back row against selected opposition / in the event of injury.

At 8 I want Dombrandt. Not frequently mistaken for a leaping salmon, but still a line out upgrade on Binny.

Ignoring the unsurprising vote of confidence from Itoje. I'm worried by the fact that no one knew who was captain against Ireland after Farrell and Ford went off. As people have said, some thought it was Curry, others thought it was Itoje. There is clearly a leadership issue and as others have said, not enough strong leaders to stand up to Farrell and Jones when things are working. You'd have thought they would have at least discussed who would be captain in the event that Farrell is injured, it's rugby. Expecting Farrell to never get injured is laughable. Other big question is whether the likes of Itoje/Curry who people have tipped are strong enough to be part of the leadership team or not. Maybe it's the no dissent culture that Jones has instilled and under another coach they would feel free to question and challenge, but maybe they aren't strong enough to stand up to those in charge when things aren't working.

Ignoring the unsurprising vote of confidence from Itoje. I'm worried by the fact that no one knew who was captain against Ireland after Farrell and Ford went off. As people have said, some thought it was Curry, others thought it was Itoje. There is clearly a leadership issue and as others have said, not enough strong leaders to stand up to Farrell and Jones when things are working. You'd have thought they would have at least discussed who would be captain in the event that Farrell is injured, it's rugby. Expecting Farrell to never get injured is laughable. Other big question is whether the likes of Itoje/Curry who people have tipped are strong enough to be part of the leadership team or not. Maybe it's the no dissent culture that Jones has instilled and under another coach they would feel free to question and challenge, but maybe they aren't strong enough to stand up to those in charge when things aren't working.
I think they might have designated the first 3, as in maybe Farrell, Ford, Youngs or BV etc... but all three were off, hence the confusion? Still likely to be sorted out now

I find it hard to believe anything the players in the camp say any more. Given we have heard from multiple people in different teams that Jones is a control freak who drives everyone hard and can't handle dissent plus comments from players who have left the camp, it doesn't add up.

According to the players in camp everything is fantastic, all the Sarries players are great there is no problem. Reality is they are putting in some of the worst performances of any England team, players who have left the camp tell a completely contradictory story and Jones has been unable to retain support staff for any length of time. If everything is great in camp, everyone is happy with Jones and all the players are training well and happy with the tactics then the only conclusion left is that they simply aren't good enough and also the rest of the English players who can't get into the camp also aren't good enough. I don't think that option is the true one so all that's left is stuff is going wrong in camp and the players seem to be going overcompensating in saying the exact opposite.

It simply doesn't add up. Someone somewhere is lying about the state of English rugby.

I find it hard to believe anything the players in the camp say any more. Given we have heard from multiple people in different teams that Jones is a control freak who drives everyone hard and can't handle dissent plus comments from players who have left the camp, it doesn't add up.

According to the players in camp everything is fantastic, all the Sarries players are great there is no problem. Reality is they are putting in some of the worst performances of any England team, players who have left the camp tell a completely contradictory story and Jones has been unable to retain support staff for any length of time. If everything is great in camp, everyone is happy with Jones and all the players are training well and happy with the tactics then the only conclusion left is that they simply aren't good enough and also the rest of the English players who can't get into the camp also aren't good enough. I don't think that option is the true one so all that's left is stuff is going wrong in camp and the players seem to be going overcompensating in saying the exact opposite.

It simply doesn't add up. Someone somewhere is lying about the state of English rugby.
I think it's interesting to note who the comments come from...

In a rugby environment, there can be one leader, who commands full respect and control, that being EJ. He'll have his "generals" etc, and try to get the team working as he sees is best, but he's in charge. Now Mike Brown doesnt exactly strike me as a man with total respect for authority, and certainly could hold a chip on his shoulder, particularly for the way he was brutally cut from the squad. He says about challenging EJ, but also from what I heard Hask comment on it, and he's again getting this from inside info as he wasnt in the camp, you dont challenge and have a go at your Head Coach in front of everyone else, that shows a total lack of respect and will not go down well. I also think EJ saw him phasing in Daly at this point anyway
Regarding working players hard, Itoje said it well too, great players want to be pushed, to reach their limits, and see how good they can be. EJ pushes them, but a lot of Enlgand insiders talk about how good he is as a man manager for the most part, to get the best out of his players.
Jones is 100% a control freak, going through scenarios in his head endlessly, a bit like Ana Taylor Joy in Queens gambit may be a good reference (though hopefully without the pills), but that doesnt make him a bad coach. he demands excellence of himself, and can therefore also demand it of his players. If he didnt, then he'd have a lot less respect. If there's any issues in camp, I'd suggest there are people able to talk about it, and EJ would rather hear about it than just be unknowing, though again strikes me as intelligent enough to see it himself
Maybe its just a hard rugby camp he runs, and if you cant handle it, you shouldnt be an international. Professional rugby isnt a game for someone who doesnt have that fire in them to compete

Today, Farrell's a phenomenal captain and a few days ago Jones was a truly special coach. Of course he's scarcely likely to say much else publicly, but at whose behest is Itoje speaking out at the moment?

I'm not sure what you expect them to say? Your not going to get anyone currently in the camp talk bad about the coach or captain. Might get some more juicy details if one retires or it might have to wait until it's in a player's autobiography.

I'm not sure what you expect them to say? Your not going to get anyone currently in the camp talk bad about the coach or captain. Might get some more juicy details if one retires or it might have to wait until it's in a player's autobiography.
Yeah, it's a damned if you do damned if you don't situation for the players - like Itoje says in the article he's been friends with Farrell since he was 11yrs old. If you've got an interviewer asking you about him do you trash him?
Maybe didn't need the hyperbole of how good he is, but I wouldn't expect anyone who's currently in the England side, or has aspirations of being in the England side, to criticise the current captain. That would definitely put you on EJ's shitlist

I'll give Farrell some cred as he has played really well in the past however. It's not like he's irreplaceable, I'm sure there's good enough centres in England to play the role he has been asked to.

I don't have an issue with him playing.

However, even if he's in the form of his life you still have to address the issue of him being unavailable... Be that injury or ban....

Simply shifting him between 10 and 12 to accomodate Ford coming and going does not do that.

In terms of leadership I think there are potentially a number of candidates and in regards the Ireland game it was more to do with poor communication from the bench than no one stepping up.

I still like Farrell but he needs to bugger off to France on a big money move for a couple of seasons and get his mojo back, the same could be said for the Billy, Mako and Daly.

They are not doing themselves or England any favours at the minute.

Latest posts