• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] England Squad

Also think it's a little harsh on Lawrence. Hard to assess a player when your team don't pass you the ball and the tactics seem to be anything other than give the centres the ball.
It's a shame, because I can remember some really fallow times for England when it came to talent in the backs, having to play the likes of Jamie Noon and Paul Sackey coz that was all we had, whereas right now we've got a lot of talent back there, plenty of power and pace and elusiveness, but we just aren't using it at all. It's frustrating.

Theres something wrong with the balance of our backline. We have zero power atm, lawrence isnt a power player really, he more runs smart lines hitting shoulders, maybe Odogwu is what we need a little explosive powerful runner to get us on the front foot in the centres(even though he isnt ready) or as a winger with a licence to roam and pop up in the midfield? For the record i rate lawrence highly but maybe he isnt ready(not sure odogwu is either) or maybe our gameplan doesnt get him enough ball. Or maybe just maybe we have no actual 12s... and we are slotting in a 13 there and expecting them yo find the same space.

Faz needs to be benched, he always favours a kick through when we have an overlap, ive always rated him as a solid 10 and good in defence but he hasnt been good in a while now and he's the DAMN CAPTAIN!.

Vs Italy id like to see
Genge LCD Stuart
Itoje Lawes
Willis Billy Curry

Not even suggesting no billy

Robson ford
Some centres(not Faz)
May Malins(15) Watson

George
Obano
Williams
Hill
Randall
Faz
Odogwu

Is it bad im not confident about getting a BP vs italy? And who are our best centre combo?
I'd go for that, except with Wilson or Earl at 8 and Lawrence and Slade in the centres. Ford or Itoje for captain.

I think Farrell needs to be dropped just to send a message that nobody's place is safe, even the captain's.

Also, if Italy play the way they did yesterday against France, we should really be considering this match a training run to work out our attack.

Seems to be this thread instead, so...

Genge, George, Stuart
Itoje (c), Hill
Willis, Curry, Wilson (8)

Youngs, Ford
Lawrence, Slade
May, Watson, Daly (15)

Obano, LCD, Williams, Lawes, Earl
Robson, Farrel, Malins

Billy and Owen are in ruts with their form (billy's going back more than a year), and didn't deserve to be there in the first place - everyone else has actually earned their place in the team, and deserve the chance to turn it around. This wouldn't be the team I'd pick if I were starting from scratch, but from where we are.

Were I starting from scratch, George would have been on the bench - due to rust.
Hill would have been on the bench - because I'm just not a fan, even though I acknowledge that he's earned the right to be tried and tested.
I'd have started with the 6-13 named above - there are no valid alternatives to Youngs as starter, because no-one's been given the chance to be tested and kept / discarded. I'm Ford > Farrell anyway, but as a preference, not an absolute; after November, and yesterday, it's become an absolute.
I'd have started with Malins at FB - Daly's just never looked right back there, whilst Malins has shown what we want to see from Daly, but in practice, not theory.

Billy and Owen desperately need to learn that they're not undroppable; Daly is headed in that direction as well, though I wouldn't be pulling the plug just yet.
As for captaincy, Itoje has seemed like the captain in waiting since almost his first cap; whilst Farrell has never had the right temprament for the job - not to mention that FHs and kickers generally make terrible captains.

The most important change though, is that the players need to be authorised to actually go off-script when necessary.

Seems to be this thread instead, so...

Genge, George, Stuart
Itoje (c), Hill
Willis, Curry, Wilson (8)

Youngs, Ford
Lawrence, Slade
May, Watson, Daly (15)

Obano, LCD, Williams, Lawes, Earl
Robson, Farrel, Malins

Billy and Owen are in ruts with their form (billy's going back more than a year), and didn't deserve to be there in the first place - everyone else has actually earned their place in the team, and deserve the chance to turn it around. This wouldn't be the team I'd pick if I were starting from scratch, but from where we are.

Were I starting from scratch, George would have been on the bench - due to rust.
Hill would have been on the bench - because I'm just not a fan, even though I acknowledge that he's earned the right to be tried and tested.
I'd have started with the 6-13 named above - there are no valid alternatives to Youngs as starter, because no-one's been given the chance to be tested and kept / discarded. I'm Ford > Farrell anyway, but as a preference, not an absolute; after November, and yesterday, it's become an absolute.
I'd have started with Malins at FB - Daly's just never looked right back there, whilst Malins has shown what we want to see from Daly, but in practice, not theory.

Billy and Owen desperately need to learn that they're not undroppable; Daly is headed in that direction as well, though I wouldn't be pulling the plug just yet.
As for captaincy, Itoje has seemed like the captain in waiting since almost his first cap; whilst Farrell has never had the right temprament for the job - not to mention that FHs and kickers generally make terrible captains.

The most important change though, is that the players need to be authorised to actually go off-script when necessary.
I've had enough of the Daly experiment. He's never looked entirely comfortable there and has been shown up in the air and defence numerous times. Yes he's improved, but marginally. Realistically he should be playing for both club and country in that position and even if sarries were playing, he wouldn't be at FB. He's still a weak link in our backline and what he offers in attack (when we've had one) doesn't make up for what he costs us the rest of the time. We need players who are regularly playing in that position who are reliable and consistent. Whenever the ball is kicked up in the air no one, not even Daly has a clue if he will catch it this time.

I've had enough of the Daly experiment. He's never looked entirely comfortable there and has been shown up in the air and defence numerous times. Yes he's improved, but marginally. Realistically he should be playing for both club and country in that position and even if sarries were playing, he wouldn't be at FB. He's still a weak link in our backline and what he offers in attack (when we've had one) doesn't make up for what he costs us the rest of the time. We need players who are regularly playing in that position who are reliable and consistent. Whenever the ball is kicked up in the air no one, not even Daly has a clue if he will catch it this time.
If I were picking from scratch, I'd entirely agree - Daly would be my 3rd choice winger, so he'd be benched, covering 13 and 15 as well.
From where we are though, he's not a "must be removed" option, nor is he "simply overtaken by his replacement (at this level)" - though he could well be by the end of this 6N; and Malins has already shown enough for that at club level (with Tom DeGlanville not far behind).

If I were picking from scratch, I'd entirely agree - Daly would be my 3rd choice winger, so he'd be benched, covering 13 and 15 as well.
From where we are though, he's not a "must be removed" option, nor is he "simply overtaken by his replacement at this level" - though he could well be by the end of this 6N
I can see your point. My view is that Jones has persisted long enough with favourites who have not delivered. We already have some positions with absolutely no depth (9) and we don't need more. There is only a limited amount of time now before the next world cup. Assuming tours happen as normal I count it as 29 matches maximum. Yes they might find 1 or 2 more. For some players even if they were to play every single game from now on they would only just be around 30 caps. We don't have time to hope that a player will come good, when we've been hoping for that for the last 3 years or more. (Anyone able to accurately say how long it's been).

I know we had this argument in 2018, but tbh 2019 world cup was similar to 2020. We didn't play great, but managed to win and added extra shine to performances that didn't deserve them. We've had a few good wins, NZ, australia, ireland and france in 2019. But otherwise we played poor opposition and it made us look better than we were. We've had more off performances than on performances. We also have a team that has absolutely no ability to adapt when it's not working. Who only play to the tactics and not what is in front of them. I've said before that while Jones says he wants a team that plays heads up rugby, he has actually got a team that does the opposite. Even after this game, apparently it was just 'an off day'. No it's the culmination of numerous poor performances and reflects a team that is playing boring, predictable rugby and cannot play any other way.

You know what after writing this I'm in the Jones out camp. I think he's reached the limit of what he can do and we're headed in completely in the wrong direction. The world cup semi-final was the aberration, not yesterday.

I'd go for that, except with Wilson or Earl at 8 and Lawrence and Slade in the centres. Ford or Itoje for captain.

I think Farrell needs to be dropped just to send a message that nobody's place is safe, even the captain's.
Wilson at 8.
And from the squad Ford at 10, but would love to see Smith or Simmonds in there.

Sinckler must come back ASAP.

My team
Genge, LCD, Stuart
Itoje, Hill
Willis, Wilson, Curry

Youngs, Ford,
Lawrence, Slade
Daly, Malins, Watson

Wilson at 8.
And from the squad Ford at 10, but would love to see Smith or Simmonds in there.

Sinckler must come back ASAP.

My team
Genge, LCD, Stuart
Itoje, Hill
Willis, Wilson, Curry

Youngs, Ford,
Lawrence, Slade
Daly, Malins, Watson
Definitely not Daly on the wing. See above post.

If May was a liability when catching yesterday, Daly is worse. Also may can produce something special from nothing still, Daly can't. At best Daly should be a utility back on the bench.

I can see your point. My view is that Jones has persisted long enough with favourites who have not delivered. We already have some positions with absolutely no depth (9) and we don't need more. There is only a limited amount of time now before the next world cup. Assuming tours happen as normal I count it as 29 matches maximum. Yes they might find 1 or 2 more. For some players even if they were to play every single game from now on they would only just be around 30 caps. We don't have time to hope that a player will come good, when we've been hoping for that for the last 3 years or more. (Anyone able to accurately say how long it's been).

I know we had this argument in 2018, but tbh 2019 world cup was similar to 2020. We didn't play great, but managed to win and added extra shine to performances that didn't deserve them. We've had a few good wins, NZ, australia, ireland and france in 2019. But otherwise we played poor opposition and it made us look better than we were. We've had more off performances than on performances. We also have a team that has absolutely no ability to adapt when it's not working. Who only play to the tactics and not what is in front of them. I've said before that while Jones says he wants a team that plays heads up rugby, he has actually got a team that does the opposite. Even after this game, apparently it was just 'an off day'. No it's the culmination of numerous poor performances and reflects a team that is playing boring, predictable rugby and cannot play any other way.

You know what after writing this I'm in the Jones out camp. I think he's reached the limit of what he can do and we're headed in completely in the wrong direction. The world cup semi-final was the aberration, not yesterday.
I can absolutely see all of that - I'm just not there yet.

"Were I in charge" I'd be looking at our squad in general, and thinking...
Front row is doing fine, 3 genuine options in all 3 positions. I'd be looking to get some game time into those 3rd choices though, especially hooker.
Second row is doing fine. Itoje should be our captain by now, then we've 2 experienced pros who any country would be happy to have fitting alongside him. Then we've 2 younger guys to train up as future planning (even if I'm not personally convinced by either of them they look to be "good enough")
Backrow is an embarrassment of riches, and none should be thinking themselves secure in the squad, let alone the starting XV. There's some experimentation with balance to be done, but otherwise the net couple of years is about getting the less experienced members more comfortable at this level. In theory, you can only pick a bad backrow if you start putting locks back there - so pick on form and what the opposition would least like you to. As you can't just keep chopping and hanging, I'd be looking to rotate between Underhill, Curry, Willis, Wilson and Earl - Billy can come back in if/when he finds his mojo again. Simmonds, Ludlam et al will have to either up their game, or wait for injuries, sorry guys.

Halfbacks.... Hmmm... Youngs isn't good enough, but there's nobody obviously better, so we either need to identify someone promising and gamble, or ease 2-3 options in from the bench. There's no-one I'm convinced by at SH, but we can't repeat the mistakes of the last 6 years by refusing to look at any of them. Ford is our best FH, Farrell is a decent international FH but lacks flexibility; Simmonds and Smith need to get out on the pitch a dozen times each and see what they can do. Both halfback positions are conundrums; one because there aren't any obvious options, and one because there aren't enough spaces for the options we have.
Centres... We've got plenty of OCs, with a variety of form, health and experience; we've just let our best bets at IC move to Scotland and Wales, due to trying to fit both Ford and Farrell into the XV. Lawrence needs to be stuck with, I'd be working on Exeter to get Slade a dozen starts at IC rather than having to experiment at international level, and never having the freedom to finish the experiment.
Wing slots are doing fine, May and Watson are both world class, Daly can be, Nowell and Coka (once fit mentally as well as physically) offer good options, and there are plenty of younger guns looking to force their way in.
Full back - Daly is in possession, but very vulnerable to someone else getting their feet under the table. Malins is in prime position there, Tom De Glanville looks like he'll provide the competition as a like-for-like replacement. Malins and TdG "just" need enough game time to settle

Last edited:
8, 9 and 10 is the key decision making hinge of any team. And that is precisely where our massive problems are. Until those are resolved the rest is tinkering around the edges.

Front row options are fine. Stuart and Genge are works in progress but should make the grade. George's basics are very good, but I just wish he had a bit more of LCD's aggression. Given George's rustiness let's see LCD start.

Second row isn't what it was. Itoje is fine, but I've never been fully onboard that hype train, preferring bigger units in the row. Hill doesn't cut it for me, while Lawes will always do a decent job but is the more athletic type. We absolutely need at least one of our locks to be in the heavier duty Launch / Kruis mould. I'd absolutely have had Isiekwe in the squad ahead of Hill - far higher ceiling in my book.

Flankers are fine with plenty of choice. Underhill is the key man here, his dominance in collisions makes a massive difference.

No8. Binny should have been binned long since. I know he likes to be loved, but right now needs far more stick, and far less carrot. From the current squad, Wilson / Earl can cover with Dombrandt in the longer term.

We need more go forward in the pack, especially with Binny MIA. I'm not saying Barbeary gets fast tracked the minute he's fit but his up and at em aggression and line breaking / offloading abilities are exactly what's missing.

9. Little more to say. Dupont is the model here. He can do the basics but has a complete bag of tricks, always involved, always up to something. Randall isn't in that class but he's our nearest proxy. He'll bring tempo and energy and ask questions of defences, all currently lacking. He'll make mistakes, but we need to try things; but if he's picked let him play his game, don't try to mould him into Youngs. Even if it's taken as read that Youngs starts Randall should get some time from the bench.

10. Faz isn't at the races. Nor's Ford really. We've got these 2 for the tournament and I doubt Jones is up to dropping the skipper even though it's warranted. Post 6N we should at least start looking at other options but unless tactics change it wouldn't make an iota of difference if we played the love child of Dan Carter and St Jonny of Wilkinson.

11 - 14. I'm happy with the selection here - May, Lawrence, Slade and Watson. Just monumentally unhappy about the way they're (not) being used.

15. Daly has yet again shown he's not up to it. Bench or let him fight Slade for 13. Malins is a more natural FB with a decent all round skill set. Give him a run. Likes of De Glanville and Steward coming through are promising.

One thing that I don't think is getting talked about too much is how truly awful George was yesterday. 1 carry, 2 tackles and 1 missed in a team that was defending for 70% of the match is frankly appalling - AWJ level appalling - and that's not something that will have been affected by the tragic game plan.

On his day I think George is one of the premier hookers on the planet and it's clearly the lack of game time for Sarries that's sparked his downturn in form but when it's that much of a downturn in form I think that for this tournament we should be looking at giving LCD some starts, at least against Italy.

Maybe I'm being too hopeful here but now that EJ's game plan has failed so miserably I can see some players finally going off piste and actually challenging him a bit.

In a (supposed) Lions year the likes of Slade, May and Watson can't be happy about the fact that they literally aren't touching the ball. For all 3 it's probably their last opportunity to tour and Slade and May haven't been on one before. It's a now or never situation for them to force some change.

Slade got plenty of ball - the quality of the passes was shocking though
They were all coming at head height so he had to jump to catch it properly and had to break his stride every time so hit the line with no momentum, or the defence using that extra half second to pressure him for his own pass

Just such a bad game from Farrell