• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] England vs France (13/03/21)

You're missing my point. Maybe I just have thick Welsh mates (I live in Bridgend so that's feasible) but they keep posting "thanks England, the slam is ours" on social media. My point is that the slam was there for Wales regardless of the England France game's outcome. All that's changed is that France can't get the GS.
Ah I get what you are trying to say now, As for your Welsh mates they are probably doing it because you bite.;)

I take no great pleasure from writing this as an England fan but I now fancy Wales for the Slam next week. Wales have got the Know-how in Grand Slam matches to get the job done. Yes playing away is difficult but they've got a good record in Paris in recent years. France were poor in the last 20 minutes today and that's where I think Wales will come through.

I take no great pleasure from writing this as an England fan but I now fancy Wales for the Slam next week. Wales have got the Know-how in Grand Slam matches to get the job done. Yes playing away is difficult but they've got a good record in Paris in recent years. France were poor in the last 20 minutes today and that's where I think Wales will come through.
Thats grounds for deportation talk.

And for some like the umpteenth time is the last two weeks.

Knock-on: When a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it.

It's an 'and' statement so must occur and if it's not a knock on it can't be intentional.
I fully understand this and do not disagree but I do have a question here, if a player knocks it forward like DuPont did and an opposition player then intentionally knocks it on to prevent him actually gathering, I am assuming a scrum would be awarded to opposition and Duponts original action being a knock on, assuming this is true it amazes me that more players do not just look to simply make contact with the ball especially if the player is juggling it.

I fully understand this and do not disagree but I do have a question here, if a player knocks it forward like DuPont did and an opposition player then intentionally knocks it on to prevent him actually gathering, I am assuming a scrum would be awarded to opposition and Duponts original action being a knock on, assuming this is true it amazes me that more players do not just look to simply make contact with the ball especially if the player is juggling it.
An intentional knock on is a penalty not a free kick so would take precedence. So DuPont side in this case would be awarded that penalty. At least in my opinion I imagine any situation like that would be grey as hell.

An intentional knock on is a penalty not a free kick so would take precedence. So DuPont side in this case would be awarded that penalty. At least in my opinion I imagine any situation like that would be grey as hell.
Agreed

We aren't heartless we'll send him to a better rugby playing nation with sheep. Of to NZ he goes.
1615670123349.gif

That was better, a lot better. Where was that performance against Scotland and Wales?

I didn't expect a win today although I hoped for it. France are a fine team that will be all the better for losing today. It may even wake up Galthie to using his bench properly. They will certainly be a big favourite for the 2023 RWC.
I expect them to beat both Wales and Scotland.

A few thoughts on England.
Positives -: Curry had a blinder and was MOtM for me. Youngs too had an excellent game and Ewells wasn't out of place. Wilson, May, Slade and Watson all caught the eye. Kicking from hand much improved instead of the aimless kicks to be run back at them. Discipline better, but penalty count still too high. Best they have played in a long time.

Negatives -: Mako still struggling in the scrum although making gains in the loose. If only Marler had made himself available. Genge still to convince me. Farrell should be benched. Apart from his kicking from the tee, he produced little, missed tackles and just doesn't add much to the team. Malins looks OK in defence but Daly still a better bet going forward. But worth persevering with. Furbank was cast off quickly so give Malins a few games. Plenty on here, me included were clamouring for his inclusion.

Same 23 for Ireland please, but start Lawrence.

Surely it would be a knock on against France as the ball has hit another player before he can regather it and therefore is a knock on. Also I may be wrong here, but would it be a knock on as that was the first offence/act. Only foul play penalties override it?

That was better, a lot better. Where was that performance against Scotland and Wales?

I didn't expect a win today although I hoped for it. France are a fine team that will be all the better for losing today. It may even wake up Galthie to using his bench properly. They will certainly be a big favourite for the 2023 RWC.
I expect them to beat both Wales and Scotland.

A few thoughts on England.
Positives -: Curry had a blinder and was MOtM for me. Youngs too had an excellent game and Ewells wasn't out of place. Wilson, May, Slade and Watson all caught the eye. Kicking from hand much improved instead of the aimless kicks to be run back at them. Discipline better, but penalty count still too high. Best they have played in a long time.

Negatives -: Mako still struggling in the scrum although making gains in the loose. If only Marler had made himself available. Genge still to convince me. Farrell should be benched. Apart from his kicking from the tee, he produced little, missed tackles and just doesn't add much to the team. Malins looks OK in defence but Daly still a better bet going forward. But worth persevering with. Furbank was cast off quickly so give Malins a few games. Plenty on here, me included were clamouring for his inclusion.

Same 23 for Ireland please, but start Lawrence.

Agree about Farrell, I thought he was pretty average to be honest but all of the match reports I've read are claiming he played well which has baffled me.

We aren't heartless we'll send him to a better rugby playing nation with sheep. Of to NZ he goes.
And I've seen a few 'of' these educational posts in terms 'of' the English language over the years... now obvs I'm just a welshie... and the language is yours but it's Off to NZ right?

1615672154120.gif

Surely it would be a knock on against France as the ball has hit another player before he can regather it and therefore is a knock on. Also I may be wrong here, but would it be a knock on as that was the first offence/act. Only foul play penalties override it?
You might be right on overrides I thought it was free kick, penalty, foul play. But it might just be foul play it rarely comes up.

The description given said it was a intentional knock on but yes if a penalty doesn't override a free kick, yes DuPont would of knock on the ball and scrum defenders.

Either way this is pure hypothetical as it didn't happen this match and without an actual incident to watch it becomes very hard to work out.

And I've seen a few 'of' these educational posts in terms 'of' the English language over the years... now obvs I'm just a welshie... and the language is yours but it's Off to NZ right?
You are correct sir, this may come as a surprise but my use of English is actually quite poor at times.

I also noticed it after I posted and couldn't be arsed to fix it.

Agree about Farrell, I thought he was pretty average to be honest but all of the match reports I've read are claiming he played well which has baffled me.

I thought Farrell was decent today. For me Ford wasn't all that, some wayward kicking to nothing on a couple of occasions stuck out.

You might be right on overrides I thought it was free kick, penalty, foul play. But it might just be foul play it rarely comes up.

The description given said it was a intentional knock on but yes if a penalty doesn't override a free kick, yes DuPont would of knock on the ball and scrum defenders.

Either way this is pure hypothetical as it didn't happen this match and without an actual incident to watch it becomes very hard to work out.
The basis for my argument on overriding is this. When a team knocks on and the opposition get it, if the opposition were then to immediately give away a holding on penalty they would go back to the knock on.

Funnily enough I was actually wearing an All Black shirt while watching the rugby today!!. . Must have been great foresight by me....

You are correct sir, this may come as a surprise but my use of English is actually quite poor at times.

I also noticed it after I posted and couldn't be arsed to fix it.
1615672786956.gif

Latest posts