• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] England vs France (13/03/21)

I'm not trying to pour scorn on the England win, so don't go there. (Not suggesting your reply did)

I agree some will suffer long term, it's been documented. I just wonder if it's possible the covid may/have affected France and by association the six nations more than we care to acknowledge
Don't you worry bud... it'll be poured on with gay-abandon should Wales somehow manage to beat France next week.

"Would you like another top up of your scorn sir?" said the silver-service waiter.

"Oh yes please my good man!" he says while twiddling his moustaches with avarice.

Don't you worry bud... it'll be poured on with gay-abandon should Wales somehow manage to beat France next week.

"Would you like another top up of your scorn sir?" said the silver-service waiter.

"Oh yes please my good man!" he says while twiddling his moustaches with avarice.
Are you on something? Chemical perhaps?

I think that is reasonably conclusive, Itoje did get the ball down. Also the French replacement hooker deliberately elbowed Farrell in the neck on the ground at the end of the game, that might be reviewed later.

1615768552699.png

Last edited:
So a couple of days on everything's calmed down a bit, what are the reflections?

Firstly just a really enjoyable game. Result in doubt, some entertaining open play and some good individual performances.

From an Eng perspective where had that style been hiding? Kind of makes a mockery of Jones saying that we'll add the attack next year.

It was definitely a good result and encouraging performance, but reading some of the reports you'd think this was an Eng performance for the ages. It wasn't. Lots of comparisons with NZ in the RWC - a bit erroneously in my book, the big difference being that we dominated the ABs in that match from start to finish. We found a way, but didn't dominate this, just scraping over the line at home against a much less experienced team. With a bit more experience / better use of the bench its probable that the French would have been able to close it out.

I guess part of the reason why we were able to play a more open way was because Fra wanted to play that way too. Ire won't, they'll try to suck us into an arm wrestling kick fest. How will we problem solve that? Will that be the end of any ambition?

Selection wise I think pretty much everyone did enough to keep their place against Ire. Perennial concern over Mako's scrummaging. LCD brought a bit of energy and bite. Ewels looked solid enough and largely error free. Malins wasn't perfect but not poor either and should get another shot. Likes of Binny, Youngs and Faz reminded us what they can do, let's just see it more consistently.

From an Eng perspective where had that style been hiding? Kind of makes a mockery of Jones saying that we'll add the attack next year.
I think he's been forced to go early on that - He will have been workign on it anyway; but the issues with putting it into play too early are: A] It may not survive first contact with referees whilst getting new interpretations of the laws (first 2 years of any RWC cycle) - this can be somewhat mitigated by having a couple of ref.s in camp for the last 2 weeks; but may be an issue with non-English ref.s. And B] If you show your hand too early (and too often) then you give opposition analysts more time (and more occassions) to coutner your intended attack.

If you take the last RWC cycle; he did the same thing:
Year 1 he proved that England's poor performance wasn't because of the players; and he improved, and earned, their confidence.
Year 2 he told us all that he'd be beasting the players; every international window would be treated like a RWC (no unenforced call-ups) and the players would be playing whilst knackered in an attempt to improve decision making and margins after having given there all. He was, of course, criticised for doing exactly what he told us he'd do.
Year 3 he evolved the basic game-plan, made a few changes to the balance of the team. He was, of course, criticised for being boring and having lost the dressing room.
Year 4, he introduced new attacking moves and structures, but only generally for 1-2 plays per match; and then 2-3 matches themselves. Suddenly, the criticisms largely disappeared.

This time around, we've had
Year 1 he told us that he saw his main job was to buck the trend of losing RWC finalists, and not suffer a big slump in form/results; trying to rebuild confidence after the comprehensive defeat to the Boks
Year 2 he told us that he'd be concentrating on the core game-plan, and not even looking to attack until after the lions (for reasons, see above). Covid and Sarries relegation (and over-confidence? arrogance?) have resulted in underporfmance of the core game-plan in the first 2 matches; and heaped criticism on Eddie; so that plan has had to be fast-forwarded a little; but still constrained by the smaller Covid squad. We saw some attacking moves against Wales, and several of them against France. They looked rusty, and as if they hadn't been practiced and evolved enough on the training pitch - almost as if they were a first / second draft, rather than the finished article.
ETA: Of course, initially, when drawing up his 4-year plan; he expected to be handing the reigns over to someone else at this point.
Year 3 was expected to be the year of evolving the game-plan and the balance of the team; and the first trials of new attacking patterns, to be fine-tuned, and trialled in full matches in year 4.

Last edited:
I think he's been forced to go early on that - He will have been workign on it anyway; but the issues with putting it into play too early are: A] It may not survive first contact with referees whilst getting new interpretations of the laws (first 2 years of any RWC cycle) - this can be somewhat mitigated by having a couple of ref.s in camp for the last 2 weeks; but may be an issue with non-English ref.s. And B] If you show your hand too early (and too often) then you give opposition analysts more time (and more occassions) to coutner your intended attack.

If you take the last RWC cycle; he did the same thing:
Year 1 he proved that England's poor performance wasn't because of the players; and he improved, and earned, their confidence.
Year 2 he told us all that he'd be beasting the players; every international window would be treated like a RWC (no unenforced call-ups) and the players would be playing whilst knackered in an attempt to improve decision making and margins after having given there all. He was, of course, criticised for doing exactly what he told us he'd do.
Year 3 he evolved the basic game-plan, made a few changes to the balance of the team. He was, of course, criticised for being boring and having lost the dressing room.
Year 4, he introduced new attacking moves and structures, but only generally for 1-2 plays per match; and then 2-3 matches themselves. Suddenly, the criticisms largely disappeared.

This time around, we've had
Year 1 he told us that he saw his main job was to buck the trend of losing RWC finalists, and not suffer a big slump in form/results; trying to rebuild confidence after the comprehensive defeat to the Boks
Year 2 he told us that he'd be concentrating on the core game-plan, and not even looking to attack until after the lions (for reasons, see above). Covid and Sarries relegation (and over-confidence? arrogance?) have resulted in underporfmance of the core game-plan in the first 2 matches; and heaped criticism on Eddie; so that plan has had to be fast-forwarded a little; but still constrained by the smaller Covid squad. We saw some attacking moves against Wales, and several of them against France. They looked rusty, and as if they hadn't been practiced and evolved enough on the training pitch - almost as if they were a first / second draft, rather than the finished article.
Year 3 was expected to be the year of evolving the game-plan and the balance of the team; and the first trials of new attacking patterns, to be fine-tuned, and trialled in full matches in year 4.
A like doesn't stress how much I agree with this

I know it is a dangerous position to be in for a French supporter to interfere in the perennial brawl between English and Welsh supporters, but to give the Welsh what I think is their due:

- they probably do not have the best players the 6N can offer and many of their strongest assets are past their prime
- but they have by far the best rugby brain of all teams in the competition (experience, but not just that)
- they can collectively switch from one tactic to another depending on the conditions and the state of the competition
- they almost always sense how to best match their opponents
- they are able to adjust to all refereeing styles, much better than the English or the French for instance

Look at the way they practically matched SA in the 2019 semi-finals while being largely outpowered on every line and compare it to what happened to the English team in the WC final, that was crushed because they could not adjust tactically and only tried to beat the saffers in a game of collision.
At the same time, they probably would not have beaten the Blacks and definitely not as comprehensively as the English did. But their ability to adjust and play practically at potential every time is very impressive. French and English were at 90% yesterday, but we have seen them at 60% sometimes. The Welsh always seem to be at 95%, even though it might not be enough.

And no, I m not trying to lull them into any sort of complacency for next Saturday :)

Wales haven't come close to 95% even once during this tournament. You may think they have but we haven't. In patches, yes, but generally, no. Some fair points though.

I started watching, then realised I didn't have 40 mins :D
That was my reactions when I saw it last week.
I had a spare hour this morning though - it's well worth it, certainly a better watch than Wales v Italy!

Brilliant analysis here:

This is amazing, such great analysis to actually identify the reasons behind picking players

Whether you agree with Eddie or not (and you could easily start to see at least some open play potential in last few games, despite what I'd imagine are lots of missed opportunities as well), this at least shows he has reasons for his selections, rather than just appearing blind to whats going on
Very interesting to see a potential reason for a 7's coach being involved too

So a couple of days on everything's calmed down a bit, what are the reflections?
From a French perspective
- a game of two halves, but the French did not take their 1st half lead to the best effect, could have been further ahead at half time
- Covid-19 finally took its toll, the French team was low on gas in the last 30 minutes and let the English team take the initiative. To the latter's credit, they were fully aware of that and changed their tactic into powerplay to impose the style that suited them best. Even though the conclusion might very well have been different.
- Vakatawa took a hit in the second quarter, stayed on the field, but he was never the same after that. As Galthie surprisingly opted for a 6/2 bench, there was not much he could do, substituting Vakatawa with Ntamak was not really a possibility. That was the worst possible issue with Galthie's pick of substitutes, but it happened...

Some coaching issues many here are putting forward :
- Jalibert to some extend and Dupont showed signs of wear from the 50th minute onward. When you have Serin and Ntamack on the bench, the score is tight and the tactical game is in full swing, why not bring them in with fresh legs and fresher minds ?
- The English made full use of their bench in a battle that was quite taxing on the players. The English team used their bench to the full, while the French kept 3 players on the bench till the end : Serin,Ntamack and Jelonch, the latter would have been more useful in the rucks in the last quarter of the game than Woki, who is more useful into space and open play.
Probably Covid 19 took some French flair out of Galthie's coaching...

Due to the pandemic (and to some extend, to the Saracens issue), there are strange dynamics at play in this tournament. No way Sunday Scots would have beaten Saturday England in Twickenham in the first game of the tournament. And I happen to think that, if the France Scotland game had not been postponed due to the Covid outbreak, the French would have been able to keep their momentum in the second half. So the French team finally paid their dues!

Brilliant analysis here:
Including a very good piece on why Odogwu (for example) isn't getting a chance just yet - a reason that applies double for Mercer and Dombrandt, and possibly Simmonds and Simmonds for all I know

That was really good

Latest posts