• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2021 Six Nations] France vs Wales (20/03/2021)

It's funny how we all can see things differently as I think our defence had generally been very good. Gethin Jenkins deserves a lot of credit as it's improved a lot since the autumn under Hayward but we couldn't get any worse to be fair.
I'm not saying Wales has a bad defence just on Saturday it needs to be a lot better. our line has been cut by mediocre attacks France will be better so so should we,

Screenshot_20210318-190935.jpg

Anyone know if this triggering email that made me physically ill could be considered harassment legally, and if so what kind of payout can I expect?

All English officials for the match. Wonder who will get the blame if and when Wales lose?

France v Wales (Stade de France, Paris; Saturday 20 March 2021 – 8pm)

Referee: Luke Pearce (England)
Assistant Referee 1: Matthew Carley (England)
Assistant Referee 2: Christophe Ridley (England)
TMO: Wayne Barnes (England)

All English officials for the match. Wonder who will get the blame if and when Wales lose?
Luke Pearce was born in Wales, before moving to England as a nipper, so the French have an excuse as well

Luke Pearce was born in Wales, before moving to England as a nipper, so the French have an excuse as well
It is not an excuse, it is just a fact ;)

Has he got an Irish grandmother, or a scottish mother in law ? I understand his cleaning lady has italian roots, so usual suspects once again

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

A good thing Pascal Gauzere is not going to referee this game, so the French team sort of have a 2 tries head start against the Welsh, it is going to be a walk in the park. I expect the vast majority of the Welsh team to announce their international retirement after this match.

Last edited:
without fans in the stadium I do not believe much in the advantage of playing at home
Someone did the stats based on domestic games, its not as big as an advantage as it normally is but still provided some.

Ireland were going for the slam in 2003 also and lost at home. Shite match, opposition were ***** to our president, **** you for being inaccurate and making me bring it up... :(
I deliberately left that one out as I knew it would upset you and derail the France-Wales 2021 thread into an England-Ireland 2003 thread.

(Or... whoopsie! Sorry, forgot about that one. :oops:)

Interesting apart from Ireland nobody really did it when Italy were a W but one you had to work at and just didn't obliterate them at mere sight. Now its nothing more than training run.
The biggest key isn't so much the number of away games (as people say, Italy ain't been owt but a walkover in ages), but whether the away opponents are also ***le challengers themselves. In the 10 completed tournaments since France last won the ***le in 2010, England (4), Wales (3) and Ireland (3) have been the winners. Every other year England play Wales and Ireland away. That means in order to win the Slam on those (odd-numbered) years, they have to beat the two other ***le-challenging teams away from home. That's a tall order, and England haven't managed it during that period 10-year period. Their one Slam in that time came when they played both Ireland and Wales at home. It's the same problem for Wales: every other year they have to play Ireland and England away. They managed to beat them both away only once in those 10 tournaments (the 2012 Slam), whereas their 2019 Slam they beat both their fellow challengers at home. Ireland have it a bit more awkward, each year having one of Wales and England at home and the other away. While this means they don't have to beat both their fellow challengers away from home in any given year, they also didn't get to play them both at home in any given year.

Of course, all this changes as the challengers change. Back when England won the Slam in 2003, France and Ireland were the main challengers, and they had France at home that year and Ireland away (although I should be careful about mentioning that!). If France now ascends and Ireland and/or Wales drop off, the schedule will present different challenges for Slamming. So it's not the 3 away games that are key so much as who the non-Italy away games are against.

"For us in France he is like Superman," said Magne.

"He has played so many times for his country and is still one of the best. He is not here because he is a legend. He is here because he is a great player and Wales need him.

"You recognise a real champion can stay at this level for a long time and have the humility to do it again every season."

Magne hopes Jones will land a fourth Grand Slam but doubts it will come this year.

"I would love to see Jones make the four Grand Slams - it would be fantastic," added Magne.

"I am not against Wales, I am just saying I think France are better than Wales at the moment. It will be very difficult for Wales to beat France in Stade de France."

What should Wales do if they're 5 points behind (France only scoring 3 tries or less) with 80mins on the clock and they have the ball in their own half. Kick it out and win the 6 Nations or go for the try and Grand Slam?